Fantasmic: worth it or not??

epadisney

Earning My Ears
Hi! I will be visiting WDW with my family next spring. We have never done DHS or the Fantasmic! show. Our children will be 10, 8, and 5 and we have already decided that we are only doing the show if we can do the Fantasmic dinner package and have reserved seating. (Don't think the kids will be patient enough to wait for the general admission seats.) So, I have an ADR for Mama Melrose's with the Fantasmic package. Here's the question: is Fantasmic really that great?? Worth doing the Fantasmic dining package and using up a precious TS credit?? (we're getting free dining so that helps :) ) Thanks!

epadisney said:
Hi! I will be visiting WDW with my family next spring. We have never done DHS or the Fantasmic! show. Our children will be 10, 8, and 5 and we have already decided that we are only doing the show if we can do the Fantasmic dinner package and have reserved seating. (Don't think the kids will be patient enough to wait for the general admission seats.) So, I have an ADR for Mama Melrose's with the Fantasmic package. Here's the question: is Fantasmic really that great?? Worth doing the Fantasmic dining package and using up a precious TS credit?? (we're getting free dining so that helps :) ) Thanks!

I'd check it out at least once. There's some on here who love it, and others who prefer the other nighttime shows. I agree the dinner package is the way to go with three antsy kids.

we could not understand why you need to be anywhere 90 minutes in advance, so our first 8 visits, we didn't venture to fantasmic.

trip number 9, we finally decided to go, but couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. :confused3

so, didn't hate it, but didn't love it-however, you'll never know til you go. :)

we could not understand why you need to be anywhere 90 minutes in advance, so our first 8 visits, we didn't venture to fantasmic.

trip number 9, we finally decided to go, but couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. :confused3

so, didn't hate it, but didn't love it-however, you'll never know til you go. :)

Same here, we didn't hate it but didn't love it either. We tried it on our 1st trip and have skipped it ever since.

I think it's worth it to try it once to see if you like it. We love the Stitch ride at MK, but most people HATE it.....everyone has their own favorites.

I love Fantasmic! I've seen it the last three times I've gone. Everyone has different tastes. Last time I went I got front row seats and I think that helped. The dining package lets you in without the fuss, but you don't get the best seats. I got front and center seats and waited two hours on a busy night. I think the fuss and over-crowding on busy nights ruins the show experience for some people. So, it's best to get there early, utilize the dining package, go when the park isn't busy, or skip it. A lot of people also park hop just to see the show, which is what we did.

I think the show is one of their bests, but to each their own I guess.

Same here, we didn't hate it but didn't love it either. We tried it on our 1st trip and have skipped it ever since.

I think it's worth it to try it once to see if you like it. We love the Stitch ride at MK, but most people HATE it.....everyone has their own favorites.

ha- we love stitch :stitch::stitch: definitely in the minority boat with that one though, our WORST is by far nemo show in ak. :)

Fantasmic is AWESOME! There is a reason that people line up for it hours in advance and they will run you down if you get in their way when the rope drops. That said, IMHO it is a must see, especially if you have never seen it! We see it at least once every time we visit WDW!

Fantasmic is a must do at least once a trip. The line gets long and it get crowded but if you're not there at a busy time it look worse than it is. You can usually find a decent seat because people go potty and get snacks etc. The dining package is nice and if you didn't have any other food plans there I'd just stick with the TS and package. Hollywood Studios isn't known for it's good food...

I love the Stitch ride too!

As for Fantasmic! for me once was enough. I just don't understand what all the hype is about, there's a few great parts but I always felt like the majority of it was just clips projected onto the water screens. I definitely don't hate It, but I don't love it either - I'd far rather be out in the park enjoying the lower crowd levels from everyone else being at the show. I'm normally a die-hard show/parade person but Fantasmic! just doesn't do it for me. When we went back this summer it'd been 5 years since I'd last seen it and I gave it another try.... still didn't get it :confused3

But with the dinner package and not having to wait though, that would make it better by skipping the lines and such. I think you should see it once - lots of people love it and with a dinner package you'll be doing it in the best way possible

I'd never seen it until this last trip but I was really excited to see it because I love the music! I'd heard it on the various Disney radio stations online. We did the Hollywood and vine dinner res. package. It was very underwhelming. I also did not love nor hate it. For me next time it's not a must do. I'd rather stake out a spot for Wishes or Illuminations.

We just got back. We did the Mama Melrose Fantasmic Dining Package. The food there was really good. It was actually one of our favorite lunches. We had a lot of fun at Fantasmic. We'll definitely do it again.

It took us 6 trips to see it and we did the F! package as well. I wouldn't see it again, nor would my DH or DD. Glad we finally tried it but I would have hated to have waited 90+ minutes to see that. It wasn't my style but I also don't like live shows, so take what I say with that in mind.

We really really like Fantasmic and we really like Mama Melrose so we can't go wrong. It's included on the DDP and you have to eat anyway so it's a no brainer for us. Package includes an appetizer where you normally do not get one with the DDP. We did calamari, had two steaks with the best mac & cheese you have ever put in your mouth and a dessert sampler that was to die for. It was VERY good. Service was a little bit spotty but not bad. We ended up getting to the show only about 20 minutes before it started and got fine seats in the reserved section but they did open it to anyone just minutes after we go there.

I think it is greatly overrated. The reason you have to be there so early is because of theater design, nothing else. Unlike Wishes and Illuminations, areas you can see it from are limited. We saw F! twice, once on our first visit because it was our first visit and we wanted to see everything. Second time when I got my parents to go so they could see everything. After that we were done. Even if we could just walk on this show, I would not. I would reather bit the crowds to the bus and swim. However, this is my opinion, some people love F!. If in doubts watch it on youtube, of course it would not be the same as if in person but you can get some idea what it is.

yes, I think the dining package for Fantasmic is worth it!
We went to MM for lunch in August. It was very good!
Then we spent the rest of the day at HS and arrived about 30 minutes before the show, walked right in, and sat down. I thought the dining package seats were pretty good. I'm not a huge Fantasmic fan, but I would definitely go this route again if my family wanted to see the show.

The Dinner Seating Package really isn't required unless it is a super high crowd calendar day. All of the Dinner Package folks are on one section. We've found that we enjoy it better by showing up 30 minutes prior and getting front row (not the row by the rail but front). Last trip I had 15, 10 and 4 year old girls. Everyone had a great time.

I would never wait in line for it. We've walked in each time right at show time and always find a seat. It is entertaining but not mind blowing. If we were ever denied entry because it was full, I'd just proceed to a ride and enjoy myself--no harm, no foul.

Fantasmic seems so dated. I first saw it in DL about 18 years ago and the DL version was so much better. I took my DS5 to see it in WDW last August. It was so blah and it scared him. Getting in and finding a seat was easy - getting out is a MAD CRUSH of people. I kept a firm hand on DS so he wouldn't get lost or crushed.

DHS needs a new nighttime show. If I were you, I wouldn't waste your TS credit on the Fantasmic lunch. Have lunch, yes, but just do general seating for Fantasmic if you want to see it. You don't need to wait 90 minutes to see the show.

I don't know if I got lucky with an "off night" at DHS, but on our last trip we didn't start walking to Fantasmic until about 6:45 or 7:00 (for the 7:30 show). We walked right in and got seats in the second to last section of the theater, and we were several rows up from the bottom (stage). I thought the view was great (well... except for the woman in front of me who felt the need to record it with her ipad, but that is another discussion!) This was a Saturday night in Oct. I think there may have been a second show that night so I don't know if that helped or not, but for me there was no reason to be in line and hour and a half early and I am glad we didn't spend that time waiting.

I am glad I saw it, but I don't know if I would plan to see it again. I think everything should be tried once.

Do I think you should see it? Yes. Do I think you should use the dinner package? Only if you are going during a busy time of year. (BTW- On the day I was there, the easywdw crowd calendar listed the crowd level at 9 and DHS was NOT a recommended day).

FYI- my 7 year old daughter was a little frightened by some of the parts, so just be prepared for that with the little ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter