Fannypack or mini backpack

Typically I bring a crossbody type bag for the parks which allows us to carry quite a bit but it’s a hassle removing them for character meetings.

Okay... I'm new to WDW, so can someone explain why you'd remove a crossbody bag for character meetings? Is it just because you don't want the strap showing up in photos? Inquiring minds need to know :)

Okay... I'm new to WDW, so can someone explain why you'd remove a crossbody bag for character meetings? Is it just because you don't want the strap showing up in photos? Inquiring minds need to know :)
That was my reasoning, yes. We also had shirts made and the strap would obstruct the view of the shirt some, so we would take our bags off and hand off to one another while we took our photos. Also, I meant a sling bag not crossbody, my apologies. I had a Kavu sling and the strap was rope, kinda bulky. Also rubbed my neck some wearing all day. Around midday I would end up twisting it around and wearing it on the front side. There were a lot of compartments so it was spacious, but I just recently bought a mini backpack and it’s pretty spacious and lightweight and I don’t see myself having to remove it during those settings of picture taking.

That was my reasoning, yes. We also had shirts made and the strap would obstruct the view of the shirt some, so we would take our bags off and hand off to one another while we took our photos. Also, I meant a sling bag not crossbody, my apologies. I had a Kavu sling and the strap was rope, kinda bulky. Also rubbed my neck some wearing all day. Around midday I would end up twisting it around and wearing it on the front side. There were a lot of compartments so it was spacious, but I just recently bought a mini backpack and it’s pretty spacious and lightweight and I don’t see myself having to remove it during those settings of picture taking.
That makes sense! I also have a Kavu - I wore it for last year's Wizards Unite fan day in Indianapolis as kind of a trial run and found it to be pretty comfortable, but I would definitely at least just sling it over my shoulder for photos. Thanks for the reply :)

For me personally, having multiple points of contact for support is something I prefer in the heat, distributes weight evenly and prevents excessive rubbing...

I use a light ripstop backpack from amazon:

Q1l0ht1zjh1KoHXqBXmvHEQANjBSc0eEu5fG-Vgk_V0M8OdhgW1IcIKW7TFWq5BEabGz-_0U9aqGUQhvTRnie61W2RGtoUH8ePvL-QY3DeQHlwnAU_htKIbxlZUkOnOl2R7Shy7Jngw=w2400

It's one of those that folds in on itself and turns into a tiny little packet. Sheds water quite well, is light and can carry some nice gear like poncho's, side water bottle carrier as you can see etc..

I sometimes use a drawstring bag type, but it depends on what you are using it for. I am the type of person that has more than you need 'just in case' so a backpack is the only real way of doing that. Sling bags and the like irritate my shoulder and hip so this is what I rock.

Hmmm...this depends on what you're taking. If you carry no more than an ID, wallet and some sunscreen then go with a fanny pack. A crossbody is great if you want something to hold a bit more but no merch. I went one time with someone who brought a mini backpack and I will say we were stuffing whatever we bought into it because no one else had room in our crossbody ones for the stuff. You can also alternate who takes what within your party. Maybe one person has a mini backpack, another has a crossbody and another has a fanny pack. The mini backpacks are still great to use in rides and manageably accessible. They also are the best camera bags if you carry one larger than your phone or a point and shoot with you. Ultimately I'd say mini backpack even if you have room left in it as you may fill it with merch at the parks. I'd recommend looking at Hot Topic or Box Lunch for them as they have super cute Disney ones that are significantly less than the ones in the parks or on shopDisney!

My vote is for backpack. I use a full sized backpack and don't regret it. Easy to pop on and off and has everything we need.

At WDW there is no 'popping' back to the room. Allow for a minimum of 45 mins in each direction normally.

I just bought an oversized fanny pack for guys at Wal Mart in Kissimee yesterday. I was walk8ng out the door and spotted them new .
Mickey Mouse character and words Mickey on front $11.99 . The self service was quick pay line fortunately.

I like my cargo pants but Mrs. Grumpy likes the sling backs. They're lightweight and can be worn on her back or carry in her hand. Also they fit easily on the rides. And she often uses a ziplock inside for bag check. 👍

Typically, I use a mini backpack (my trusted mini Disney snacks loungefly) during the day. It's spacious enough to hold enough items for me such as a wallet, a S'well bottle, portable charger, snacks, hand sanitizer, wipes, tissues, sunglass case, etc. and it doesn't weigh me down or make me feel hot/sweaty on my back. The straps are slim enough to not be too noticeable in photos. In the evenings/night time, I tend to use a fanny pack for just my wallet, phone, hand sanitizer, and portable charger.

Typically I bring a crossbody type bag for the parks which allows us to carry quite a bit but it’s a hassle removing them for character meetings. Just wondering what folks staying on site use? Is it easier bringing less into the parks as an adult? Since I’ve ever only stayed off site, we have to bring everything we need for the day so we don’t have to drive back to hotels, but figured staying on site would allow us to bring in the bare minimum and go back to resort if needed.
I used to use a backpack, a lightweight one. The last one I used was a Vera Bradley Disney one. But I'd fill it up pretty good so it wasn't so lightweight anymore. It was hurting my back and I found the backpack style to be a pain. I needed to take it off every time I needed something and take it off for every ride. I switched to a LUG crossbody. I really like all the handy compartments. There is an outside zipper just for your phone which I love! I find that I can keep it crossbody for most rides, so no on and off all day long. I got mine from QVC. Comes in many different sizes and I like that usually there is a video that is attached so you can see how the product works. LUG also makes a style that is both a backpack and crossbody.

I got this at the parks a few trips ago. https://www.shopdisney.com/mickey-m...VEfDACh2OrAuJEAQYBSABEgKMKPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
It has a long, adjustable strap so you can wear it any way you want, plus in the back zippered area, it has the fanny pack strap is you want to wear it around your waist. It has several pockets and is plenty big for what I carry. We try to go with as little as possible and this holds the essentials. I also like that I can adjust how to wear it so it does not get too annoying constantly having the strap in the same place.

Used to use a backpack but that gets really hot on your back.

Now I fill my pockets. If I can't get it in my pockets, I skip it.
in 2021, we are going bagless. We have found we were not really getting into the bag often if at all. I am going to slip a few small things in my pocket and that is all. We usually head back to the room mid afternoon to rest/use the pool so we will use that time o reapply sunscreen and recharge phones. My Fiancee and Son had to wait at least 20-25 minutes (or more) each morning for me just to make it through bag check.

In my past trips I have always used either a fanny pack or a cross shoulder bag in the parks. I have a couple of questions for those who use smaller backpacks in the place of a purse etc. How comfortable are they to wear all day? Do they get in the way at all? Are you concerned at all about people having access to your bag behind your back where you can't see? That has always been one of my big worries with one. Not really sure I will use one but my daughter might so I wanna make sure she would be ok using it. TIA!!!

Last edited:
I appreciate all of the information I am seeing here. Thank you everyone. I just found my crossbody bag I bought at WDW back in 2009 and I think that is what I'll use. It is actually quite nice as far as having pockets and a good amount of storage space.

Last edited:
I have a bigger backpack I typically use. It gets heavy and annoying, but I like having my stuff.
This last time I bought one of the little sinch sacks they have in the gift shop. It was great! Not too big or annoying and I atoll had someplace for my wallet and snacks!
I think the one i got was technically a kids one and there was even a zip pocket on the outside. It will be my new park bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!