Family of 5 - Want Value Resort Prices

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Carol97, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Darcy03231

Darcy03231 DIS Veteran

I'd rent a two bedroom condo at Bonnet Creek that's Disney themed. You can use the Bonnet Creek shuttle or rent a car (we always rent a car). I've found it takes me less time by car to get to the parks from Bonnet Creek that it does from the value resort. Also, with renting a car we don't have to wait for a bus or have to worry about standing (I have balance issues). I've found we save even more time/money by having breakfast each day in the condo, being able to run laundry so I don't have to pay to check bags, and being able to eat off-site if we want (better food & lower prices).

2. unrequited23

unrequited23 DIS Veteran

Fort Wilderness Campground and bring your tent.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. mel2014

mel2014 Mouseketeer

Have you looked at the prices on third-party booking sites and available coupons? For our 2017 visit we were able to use a 15% off Travelocity coupon for Caribbean Beach that brought the price within $25/night of the All-Star prices.

5. tzolkin

tzolkin DIS Veteran

This has been our experience as well. No issues sharing one room and we actually prefer using the buses to driving.

I can understand how offsite may work better for some families, but for us flexibility and transportation options are major factors in our enjoyment of Disney. We split up, sleep in, change plans, etc throughout the trip so coordinating getting back and forth to somewhere offsite with one vehicle would completely change the way we like to do Disney.

wendow, cel_disney, bluezy and 6 others like this.
  6. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Just so you're aware, the Hotel Plaza Boulevard shuttles run on an actual schedule. IMO, this makes them more reliable than Disney buses.

halfpintpeggy likes this.
  7. Mzpalmtree

Mzpalmtree Earning My Ears

I would echo trying Disney Springs hotels. They get most of the benefits and some have rooms that accommodate more. We are not a family of 5 but we have a boy and a girl so we often have to find sleeping set ups similar to a family of 5. We stayed in the AoA recently and it was great but definitely not really value priced in the family suite.

8. StitchandPooh'sMom

StitchandPooh'sMom DIS Veteran

Thanks! I didn't know how reliable the shuttles would be, and I know the Disney bus stops usually have people around even late at night, which made me feel better if the kids stay out late.

9. 100AcreWood

100AcreWood DIS Veteran

We had a bad experience with this bus service last year so as a result, I would only stay at a Disney Springs hotels if I had my car or used Uber. The buses pick up at two parks, then go to 3 different hotels.

10. StitchandPooh'sMom

StitchandPooh'sMom DIS Veteran

That was my concern. We will have one car and will start most days together, but I know the kids want to do to the water parks and DH wants to do a tour and some people might want to sleep in occasionally. I feel comfortable with DD16 and her friend taking a Disney bus to the parks if they want to sleep in or coming back at a different time in the evening. We have always stayed onsite, so I know the kids will be able to manage Disney transportation to get wherever they want to go, even if the buses are late. They would probably be fine with an offsite shuttle, but they know what to expect from the Disney buses. DD16 doesn't want us to use the car at all once we arrive, but I convinced her that she would rather be in the car to and from the water parks than on a cold Disney bus :thumbsup2

11. FreesiaE

FreesiaE Earning My Ears

A person after my own heart!
    Having separate bedrooms is so nice! Parents can stay up and watch TV, talk etc.
    We love having a private pool! No lugging totes of towels, swim gear, etc down elevators, hallways, stairs, etc. We just go out the sliding glass door! To us that is the ultimate luxury!
    We also like having laundry, which to some is the WORST THING EVER! But hey, we get gross at the park and want to change more than once a day. This helps, and we have less clothes to take home dirty.
    We also love having a full kitchen, especially a full sized fridge.

Shughart likes this.
  12. TnTWalter

TnTWalter DIS Veteran

I really think you'd love BONNET CREEK. It is on Disney Property even though not Disney. You have ample space. Great pools and hot tubs. We booked from reputable seller on ebay. Great deal. They do have a shuttle but recommend having your car. We still loved WDW and all the magic but really loved our spacious 2 bedroom unit and the pools [lazy river and regular] and hot tubs shuffle board grills, etc.

halfpintpeggy and firefly_ris like this.
  13. mi*vida*loca

mi*vida*loca Collect memories, not things

I think it depends on the kids. My kids can sleep through anything. We had no issues with them sleeping and us watching tv, talking, cleaning up, doing laundry, etc. while they slept in the same room with us at CBR. It's scary now because they can sleep through smoke alarms and just about anything.

Now that they are older if we ever go back as a family of four we will be getting two rooms. We've talked about offsite but we prefer onsite.

14. kbender295

kbender295 Earning My Ears

Although they only have one bathroom, have you looked into the Cabins at FW? They have some drawbacks too such as the buses but I booked them for August as it was the most affordable option for our party of 5 that allowed for a little bit of privacy. I've stayed there before and it was a great experience. It was real nice to take the boat to MK and a boat to the contemporary to access the monorail.

15. ClapYourHands

ClapYourHands DIS Veteran

I think OP is looking for the cheapest option, full stop. I agree the cabins are great, and a nice upgrade from a single room at the other moderates. But when I did a quick search for some random dates in July, the cabins were about $40 per night more than POR with the 5th sleeper. It's a great option for slightly larger families, but not the value resort price OP seems to be looking for.

firefly_ris and halfpintpeggy like this.
  16. halfpintpeggy

halfpintpeggy DIS Veteran

Hopefully this won't sound rude, but I'd be very careful with only reporting 4 if there are actually 5 people. While likely you wouldn't have an issue, ya just never know how strict hotels will be with their occupancy policies.

wendow likes this.