Eye Glasses - Costco, Walmart or LensCrafters

I'll be honest: I have a love-hate relationship with LensCrafters.

I've never had them meet their "one hour" slogan. Most of the time, it takes a full day for my glasses to be ready when I order from them. It never fails that they make them once, they fail a quality check, then they make them a few more times before they get them right. That irks me, because I go to them just because I want it done in one trip - they are at our local mall, and i hate fighting the traffic there. But I always end up leaving and having to come back the next day, after waiting several hours in frustration. Although that is still dramatically faster than getting them just about anywhere else.

On the other hand, I like them because I can get everything done on a weekend, and because I think their progressive lenses are better than some others - they have a wider area on the lens that is in focus. If you wear progressives you know finding the "sweet spot" can sometimes be a pain - I have less of an issue in that regard with the LensCrafters lenses than I have had with lenses from other shops, including Costco. Not that I can't find it, it just takes a few more eye movements/head tilts sometimes - which doesn't seem like much, but after a full day of it, you appreciate every little bit of improvement.

They are expensive, but no more so than other full-service optical chains. I have learned that with all stores, ask to see frames that are fully covered by your insurance. Often they have a batch squirreled away in a drawer that are not on display with the rest. I've found a couple of cute pairs hidden away in that stash! :) But again it irritates me that I've had to learn this trick - the cheaper frames should be displayed with all the others.

I've tried Costco, but not Walmart before. Costco was OK, but I wasn't a fan of the selection. It was more limited than the full-service stores. I wear these things all day every day, I would rather pay more for something I really like than less for something I'm not as happy with.

ETA: Just noticed this was a zombie thread.

Last edited:
This past year we tried Walmart. I couldn't be happier. For years I have gone with the eye dr but a frame caught my eye at Walmart so I figured what the heck. I have progressives and the field of vision for reading is so much better than my glasses from the office I was amazed. We have had to have DH fixed twice (thank goodness for their replacement plan), once because an overly happy dog knocked them off his face and the second because there was a flaw in the frame. Both times the staff was amazing, in fact when the dog broke them we were able to go to the local Walmart to get them fixed and didn't have to go to our local store. I would definitely recommend you go and check them out.

I would suggest looking at a couple places. I tend to think VisionWorks has a larger selection than Lenscrafters, but this depends on the store size and how much they carry in stock.

If you do not want to wear contacts, I would look at a BOGO sale and get a pair of prescription sunglasses. I am no ta fan of transition lenses, they made a mistake at Lenscrafters and gave him transitions again (he didn't ask for them) and he is just not arguing with them. He had transitions two prescriptions ago. Ugh.

I wore contacts when I was younger, had PRK surgery, and now wear a light prescription again. I have my glasses and my prescription sunglasses. I live in Florida so sunglasses are a must. I did get my sunglasses from Lenscrafters. They are a Tiffany & Co, aviator style, but with prescription lenses.

VisionWorks as a bit of a drive before, but they opened one up closer to us so I took the two teens and got the BO'GO at VisionWorks two months ago. I love the BOGO because VisionWorks is okay with it being for two different people or glasses & sunglasses. This last time, the lady did say they had to get the same type lenses for both glasses, which was fine.

Always check their website for the coupon before going.
I just looked at VisionWorks and they have a 60% off right now. They rotate the sales and it seems like every other month they have the BOGO.

Oh, I looked at Zenni before, most of my eye doctors say to not go with the online cheap places because they do not always work well. My hairdresser use to have several cheap pairs from them so she had a pair for various outfits. You want a professional to fit you for your first pair.

My friend is an eye surgeon/opthalmologist, and I had him check out my zenni glasses and he assured me that they were fine. We have 4 prescriptions here, including a son who throws and breaks his glasses regularly. I just ordered him 2 new pairs and one pair of progressives for me for 78 dollars (it was the buy 2 get one free sale). I would suggest going to one of the stores mentioned to try on glasses to see what looks best on you, then order a trial pair from zenni. At worse, you'll have a backup pair in case something breaks. We have had a great experience using zennioptical.

See my military Ophthalmologist (DH and I have both had eye surgery) and optometrist says to stay away from those cheap online websites as they do not work well for most people. With my daughters last pair, there was some issues when they were measuring her eyes and the lady had to have another lady double check they were going to work for her. Something about the frame almost being too big and measuring where her pupils were at, etc.

I'll be honest: I have a love-hate relationship with LensCrafters.

I've never had them meet their "one hour" slogan. Most of the time, it takes a full day for my glasses to be ready when I order from them. It never fails that they make them once, they fail a quality check, then they make them a few more times before they get them right. That irks me, because I go to them just because I want it done in one trip - they are at our local mall, and i hate fighting the traffic there. But I always end up leaving and having to come back the next day, after waiting several hours in frustration. Although that is still dramatically faster than getting them just about anywhere else.

On the other hand, I like them because I can get everything done on a weekend, and because I think their progressive lenses are better than some others - they have a wider area on the lens that is in focus. If you wear progressives you know finding the "sweet spot" can sometimes be a pain - I have less of an issue in that regard with the LensCrafters lenses than I have had with lenses from other shops, including Costco. Not that I can't find it, it just takes a few more eye movements/head tilts sometimes - which doesn't seem like much, but after a full day of it, you appreciate every little bit of improvement.

They are expensive, but no more so than other full-service optical chains. I have learned that with all stores, ask to see frames that are fully covered by your insurance. Often they have a batch squirreled away in a drawer that are not on display with the rest. I've found a couple of cute pairs hidden away in that stash! :) But again it irritates me that I've had to learn this trick - the cheaper frames should be displayed with all the others.

I've tried Costco, but not Walmart before. Costco was OK, but I wasn't a fan of the selection. It was more limited than the full-service stores. I wear these things all day every day, I would rather pay more for something I really like than less for something I'm not as happy with.

ETA: Just noticed this was a zombie thread.

I find Lenscrafters about the same price as anywhere else, unless you catch a sale. Five of the six of us wear glasses, and it is always at least a day before they are ready. I am not sure what RX is the one hour deal? I don't expect them in an hour. My Tiffany Aviators the sales lady didn't submit it the same day I bought then, so I went to pick them up right before my vacation and they were not ready. Ugh. So I complained and the manager gave me a big discount. I never saw that lady again so I think she didn't work out. She seemed a bit clueless on how to do her job as she had to keep asking another employee 20 questions during our purchase. I just didn't have my RX sunglasses for my vacation.

I am not sure what RX is the one hour deal? I don't expect them in an hour.

From LensCrafters FAQ:

Can I get my glasses in an hour?

In select locations, we may be able to make your glasses same-day or in about an hour. The ability to do so depends upon your particular prescription, the frame you choose, the lenses and options you select, and whether the store you visit has an onsite lab. If you are looking for same-day service, please let our store associates know so they can direct you toward options that they may be able to complete in-house. To accommodate the many product enhancements that are now available, special processing is sometimes required. These orders are typically processed within 7-14 business days.

My location is one that can do one hour or same day. The lenses I pick they usually have in stock - there are some flavors of progressives that they don't keep in stock, but I just happen to pick the ones they do. I don't actually expect my progressives to be ready right at an hour, but they usually start off telling me they will be ready in about an hour and a half or two. So I wander the mall, get something to eat, etc. Then they call at the two hour mark and tell me there was a quality issue, and it will be another hour. So I kill more time. Then they call and tell me there is yet another issue, and they don't know exactly how many tries it is going to take to get them right. So I finally leave the mall. They usually call close to closing time to tell me they are finally ready.

I've gotten glasses there multiple times, and every time this scenario has basically occurred. Yeah, I should have learned by the second time....

Warby Parker. They will send you I think up to 5 pairs to try on at home for free. My husband and I both have 4 pairs and they’re good quality. About $95 each. Great customer service too.

I had a horrible prescription after a detached retina, one eye was a -18 and I have bad astigmatism. I went all over my city looking for a place that could even make my glasses, no at Lenscrafters, Walmart, BJs, etc. None of the online sites could make them. Only one independent place could make them. Well the lenses alone were $600 and frames started at $250 and my script changed every 6 mos to a year. Then I was able to have surgery to correct that -18 to a -13 and now I can go most places but I still pay a premium for my lenses. I was visiting friends in Vermont, I live 3.5 hrs away in NY and we went to Costco (I don't have one). I checked out their glasses and figured what do I have to lose, they have a money back guarantee? I got a pair, the first script wasn't right, I went back to the doc, got a new one, mailed the glasses back to Costco and they mailed me a new pair and they are great. Progressives with super thin lenses and all the coatings for $185. Same Fossil frame that the independent place sells for $225. I plan to get all my Progressives there from here on out. I did also get 2 for $99 glasses at BJs for reading glasses and distance glasses. The Progressives have never been great for when I want to read a long time and distance glasses are good for watching tv in bed. $285 for 3 pairs for what used to cost me close to $1000 for one. I kind of know the optician at BJs and she told me in confidence that their Progressives aren't good unless you have a simple script. Costco all the way for me.

I got glasses at my local Lenscrafters last fall, they no longer have the one hour lab. Took about a week to come in.

I had a horrible prescription after a detached retina, one eye was a -18 and I have bad astigmatism. I went all over my city looking for a place that could even make my glasses, no at Lenscrafters, Walmart, BJs, etc. None of the online sites could make them. Only one independent place could make them. Well the lenses alone were $600 and frames started at $250 and my script changed every 6 mos to a year. Then I was able to have surgery to correct that -18 to a -13 and now I can go most places but I still pay a premium for my lenses. I was visiting friends in Vermont, I live 3.5 hrs away in NY and we went to Costco (I don't have one). I checked out their glasses and figured what do I have to lose, they have a money back guarantee? I got a pair, the first script wasn't right, I went back to the doc, got a new one, mailed the glasses back to Costco and they mailed me a new pair and they are great. Progressives with super thin lenses and all the coatings for $185. Same Fossil frame that the independent place sells for $225. I plan to get all my Progressives there from here on out. I did also get 2 for $99 glasses at BJs for reading glasses and distance glasses. The Progressives have never been great for when I want to read a long time and distance glasses are good for watching tv in bed. $285 for 3 pairs for what used to cost me close to $1000 for one. I kind of know the optician at BJs and she told me in confidence that their Progressives aren't good unless you have a simple script. Costco all the way for me.

Were you able to get your frames & glasses made at Costco without buying a membership? You said you "don't have one" near you?

I do not recommend LensCrafters. Product is overpriced fir the quality of the lens. I am a huge fan of Warby Parker. I use one of their brick and mortar stores but they are known for their online store and process. I was sceptical but am a loyal customer now! My glassses were half what I had been paying at a local optician. I would also consider Costco.

Were you able to get your frames & glasses made at Costco without buying a membership? You said you "don't have one" near you?

I went with a friend who has a membership but they never asked to see her card and I paid for everything under my name so IDK for sure but you may not have to be a member

Costco, Hands down. I was able to get Rayban glasses with lenses and anti reflective stuff for a third of the cost of Lens Crafters.
DD needed glasses in September. She is 5. We were able to get her two pairs at costco for less than 1 and they both are guaranteed for two years. ( We got the second pair as a back up just incase)
Great customer service at our club and they know their stuff.

Wow, my son has gotten glasses at Costco for the last few years and they never said anything about a guarantee???

I went with a friend who has a membership but they never asked to see her card and I paid for everything under my name so IDK for sure but you may not have to be a member

I don't have a Costco membership but my friend does. I bring hers and say she will come and meet if necessary but they always use her membership card and don't require her to actually come with me. I just paid $160 for glasses, which are just regular bifocal lenses. Like them OK but don't feel like I get that great of a bargain. My son got glasses at Walmart and think they are a bit cheaper, think Costco is getting more expensive since they are becoming more popular.

Wow, my son has gotten glasses at Costco for the last few years and they never said anything about a guarantee???
Costco stands behind everything they sell. My daughters glasses have been adjusted so many times. They know her by name

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter