Extra Tipping

shyjade

DIS Veteran
Do you ever tip with the free dining plan? I know the servers receive 18%...do you ever give a few extra bucks on top of that? (not talking about tipping for non covered items such as alcohol).

In my ignorance no I didnt except one time when we split 2 meals for 4 people and had to send a salad back twice (there fault but the handled it well and had to work that much harder) we had lots of dishes, the kids made a mess, they moved us to a better table when we saw where they were going to seat us. In retrospect I think I would have tipped extra at each meal we shared at atleast. If you dont get much response, if your search there have been some threads early in the summer I think, about it. They really did change my mind about how and when to tip extra.

I'm the type of person that feels wrong not leaving anything, even when it is included. But it will depend on service.

shyjade said:
Do you ever tip with the free dining plan? I know the servers receive 18%...do you ever give a few extra bucks on top of that? (not talking about tipping for non covered items such as alcohol).

Last year during the free dining, we tipped "extra" everywhere we ate except for one place-and that was because it was probably the worst service we ever had, in and out of WDW. Everywhere else we had excellent service! We will do the same for our upcoming trip.:thumbsup2

CHECK YOUR BILL most servers will add an automatic 18% gratuity to your out of pocket bill, including adult beverages.

I generally tip 20% for good service so I'll tip generally tip a little extra. Last year, when the tip was 15%, I always tipped extra.

When we go I will add extra if the we order anything OOP or if the server goes beyond expectations. I am a server so I understand tipping, I am a excellent tipper. But I don't judge people who would not tip extra on the dining plan because 18 percent is added so its not like they are getting (stiffed) server wording. But it would be nice if someone can afford to tip a bit extra on the plan..

We have a ton of Disney Dollars that we need to spend while we are down there. Is it wrong to use those to do the extra tip? Can the servers cash them in right there. I don't want to do that unless I know that they can just exchange it for real money that night right there.

I tipped as if I they were getting no automatic tip. All of our servers, (with the exception of the one meal we paid OOP for..she was a bit put out with my using a Disney Rewards card and she just seemed "bothered" in general), were wonderful! I figured since we had dining for free and they were all so nice, it was the least I could do. We just appreciated it so much.

Extra OOP expenses when combined with the DDP will have the 18% already added to the bill--it was like that at every TS for us last week and the week before. We never had bad service, but for excellent service we tipped a bit more since I would have left a 20% tip.

We had the free ddp last year and then we paid for it in February, when our service was outstanding, (which was each and every meal except Tepp) we left extra usually another 5%. I always tip 20 to 22% at home and will do the same when some one goes above and beyond. :thumbsup2

Last year I ate at mostly buffets, so I didn't tip extra. My wife and I argue every time we eat out at buffets at home, on how much to tip. I guess it is just a little pet peeve of mine to tip a server the same percentage as a server at a typical sit down place. If I have to get up and get my own food, then I believe the server does less work, therefore I tip usually 10%.

Now at LeCellier I gave an extra 5 % due to the fact my server actually smiled when we said we were on the DDP. After a week of eye rolls, shoulder shrugs and loud sighs by servers when were told them we were on the DDP, I just had to reward him. To me good service is not just only how fast the food arrives, how many refills you get or how many times you check on us to see if everythings OK, it also presentation and attitude. Most good servers have that (or at least can fake it).

Threeriversdisneyfan said:
After a week of eye rolls, shoulder shrugs and loud sighs by servers when were told them we were on the DDP, I just had to reward him. To me good service is not just only how fast the food arrives, how many refills you get or how many times you check on us to see if everythings OK, it also presentation and attitude. Most good servers have that (or at least can fake it).

I was afraid this might be the case while on the free dining plan...anyone else come across this from servers? I'm afraid I'll be treated like some sub-creature for being on the dining plan. Since we will be at Disney the last week of free dining the servers will either be really sick of free diners or be happy it's "the end" of the madness!

We had great service while on the DDP. No eye rolls, no sighs, just smiles and friendly offers of help and suggestions.

When we were there, the tip was only 15% and we typically leave 20%, so we tipped extra accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter