Extra Money Collected.....HELP

I agree with the gift card to the grocery store. Our investment group adopts a family for Christmas and we buy everything on the their list and then everyone either brings food from their pantry and chips in gift cards to the grocery story.

We collected $996. Not looking for a pat on the back.....I just think maybe she could do the same for this family.
You say you collected $996, what do you have left? I would stock them up with toiletries, laundry detergent, paper products, etc.

Also did you cover the less glam clothing items for the kids? pajamas, socks, undies, school shoes.

WHEW....thanks everyone for the responses!!! :yay: I agree totally....and was honestly quite offended, when she asked me to do this. Of course, there are needy families everywhere but we are one family....we can't help everyone!
As far as the bank account goes, it would actually go through a third party organization, so technically it wouldn't be "mine" but would be set up as mine, to use for them. Confusing...a little.
I am trying not to take offense to the stealing comment....because if that were the case, I would just use and spend it on myself, instead of even worrying about keeping it for future needs of the family. Which of course would defeat the whole purpose of the act itself!

On a brighter note...I heard today, that Mom had a total breakdown, when she heard this stuff was coming. The last few months have been really hard for her and this is such a kind gesture. She was beside herself! I am thrilled that little ole' me did that!!!!!:flower3:

Oh....and I am going to do the grocery gc, if I can find a grocery store that doesn't carry tobacco products. I made sure they already have a full food hamper coming and also a place, for a home-cooked Christmas dinner if they choose to go.

Didn't read the rest of the posts, so someone else may have stated this, but Target no longer sells tobacco (hasn't since the late 90's when I worked there). And this way, they can buy food or clothes or bed sheets, whatever they wind up needing.

Hello again everone!! Thank you all for your input and ideas!!:thumbsup2

To the poster who was worried about the less glam "stuff". I have it all covered. Socks, mitts, hats, shampoo, new backpacks filled with school supplies (donated by the kids school), the teenage daughter got a face mask and scrub (she has a bit of an issue with acne so I thought this might help--without being too forward). New fun toothbrushes and toothpaste to match, winter boots for 1 etc....etc...I really thought a lot about the items that were given and I appreciate all of your positive comments. I really don't like a lot of "fuss" made about it. I hope to goodness she doesn't find out who organized all of it. But it is nice to hear great things from all of you!!:)

Jack, COngrats on a great drive! There is NO better feeling than this! I have done this for many years and this is what has made me feel the best. There is no higher feeling than budget shopping for a family with nothing.

As for the remaining money, USE IT! I have been burnt many times by giving the cash or gift cards. as for teh freezer........ great idea but i had one family host a huge cookout with all the meat i gave.............UGH! I am sure the kids could use SOMETHING. The mom would even appreciate another hamper full of food.

If it hasnt been spent yet you could also go to a local mom and pop store and have them write a gift card for specific items. Or what about haircuts?

GReat idea about the haircuts! I have actually talked to our local theatre about some movie passes as well!! Thanks for the idea...and the heads up about the freezer.

Didn't read the rest of the posts, so someone else may have stated this, but Target no longer sells tobacco (hasn't since the late 90's when I worked there). And this way, they can buy food or clothes or bed sheets, whatever they wind up needing.

Wow, I never noticed, but this is great to know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter