Experience with NY quarantine form and follow-up

It is very frustrating. Where I am on Long Island the line for the 15 minute rapid test is a 2-3 hour wait outdoors in the cold. My daughter’s friend, who had symptoms, stood on line for 3 hours 15 minutes yesterday in 35 degree weather. He tested negative.
I understand the thinking behind the out of state testing but with cases high all over, this testing at home and quarantining seems pointless. We felt safe in Florida and traveling. I do not feel safe standing on line waiting for a covid test with those who are symptomatic.

We don't even have a local option for waiting in line. Everything is appointment only and my trial attempts, so that I know what I am doing when I come back, I get rejected b/c I don't have symptoms.

flying out of Long island early December and only doing a short trip ---
Thursday - Monday. . . .

Also Flying back into Long island . . . ~~~~

:headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache:

so i guess i have to go get tested as soon as we land ! and hope for the best! My girl is a R.N so shell be fine to go back to work when we get back as for me i guess i'm locked down for 14 days.

flying out of Long island early December and only doing a short trip ---
Thursday - Monday. . . .

Also Flying back into Long island . . . ~~~~

:headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache::headache:

so i guess i have to go get tested as soon as we land ! and hope for the best! My girl is a R.N so shell be fine to go back to work when we get back as for me i guess i'm locked down for 14 days.
You'll have to get tested between Friday and Monday, and then again on Thursday or Friday, unless you want to quarantine for 14 days upon your return.

You'll have to get tested between Friday and Monday, and then again on Thursday or Friday, unless you want to quarantine for 14 days upon your return.

I work from home now , so I’m fine with that. My girl is an Nurse and is considered to be essential worker so idk how that’s going to go with her ....

Leaving in a few days for a long weekend, just wondering if anyone can give us more feed back on how many calls or texts they received when they got back to NY. Do you think they are using the GPS on your cell phone to track people?

Leaving in a few days for a long weekend, just wondering if anyone can give us more feed back on how many calls or texts they received when they got back to NY. Do you think they are using the GPS on your cell phone to track people?
I’ve been getting texts every day since I was tested.

We received three texts over the first 4 days and that was all. We just had to text a N to say that we had no symptoms. After day 4 we heard nothing at all.

been home 12 days and haven’t heard a thing. I did not get tested in Florida. I’ve been doing the 14 day quarantine. I wonder if they’re focusing on the people that tested...

been home 12 days and haven’t heard a thing. I did not get tested in Florida. I’ve been doing the 14 day quarantine. I wonder if they’re focusing on the people that tested...
I think so. I've gotten texts every day since I got tested 9 days ago.

Has anyone in upstate New York been able to obtain a rapid test (without symptoms) on your 4th day? If so, what was the cost?

Has anyone in upstate New York been able to obtain a rapid test (without symptoms) on your 4th day? If so, what was the cost?
Also curious about this as I can't seem to find one through the State site or other medical offices.

Today is day 16 since my return to NY and I’m still getting texts asking if I have symptoms. I think the system is broken because I get repetitive texts from them and I’m over the 14 day mark. Today I got 9 texts from them in 8 minutes. It’s borderline harassment at this point lol. I tried calling to tell them to stop texting me but it was over a 30 minute wait so I hung up. I just don’t understand what is happening. This did not happen to us when we had to quarantine in September.

Also curious about this as I can't seem to find one through the State site or other medical offices.
I tried to register on the state site to get a test, mostly to see how the system worked for our trip later this month. 8 days later I got a text saying I could confirm my appointment, at a site 3 hours away. So, the state site stinks.

As much as I hate to do it, I'm tempted to call urgent care and say I have cold symptoms so I can get the test. My local urgent cares will only test people with symptoms. The only drive up site is one day a week and does not actually help us do the rapid quarantine due to the timing of our trip.

For those of you receiving texts , what is number they are coming from. Got in last night late and the guard was there with the forms requiring us to fill out.

For those of you receiving texts , what is number they are coming from. Got in last night late and the guard was there with the forms requiring us to fill out.
For me it was a 518 number both this time and when I went in July.
They will only start texting you once you get tested on your 4th day home.

We're in southwestern NY and our county has set up 2 different rapid test sites this week. It's by appointment only, drive-up, don't need to have symptoms, and it's free. My DDs just had the test today and it was quick and easy.

I'm in the Buffalo area and the only rapid testing sites I've found require an appointment, and the appointments book up quickly. Generally speaking, the appointment needs to be made about a week in advance which is pointless because non-rapid testing that can be done same day generally has your results within 3-5 days. I would suggest pre-emptively booking an appointment for a rapid test for your 4th day after your return, if the site will allow you to book that far in advance.

Also wanted to add that in my experience, we received no texts or calls at any point during our quarantine period after returning home from Florida. We did complete the form at the airport with the National Guard, but at their direction, I only wrote my name, phone number, and flight number. I'm not sure if they are spot checking in with people or what.

I'm in the Buffalo area and the only rapid testing sites I've found require an appointment, and the appointments book up quickly. Generally speaking, the appointment needs to be made about a week in advance which is pointless because non-rapid testing that can be done same day generally has your results within 3-5 days. I would suggest pre-emptively booking an appointment for a rapid test for your 4th day after your return, if the site will allow you to book that far in advance.

Also wanted to add that in my experience, we received no texts or calls at any point during our quarantine period after returning home from Florida. We did complete the form at the airport with the National Guard, but at their direction, I only wrote my name, phone number, and flight number. I'm not sure if they are spot checking in with people or what.

Our rapid testing site appointments are filled up within a minute, it seems. The health department advertises that it will post the info on a Monday and it is always already full. So I checked the site on Saturday (link was not there yet) and again on Sunday and the link was indeed posted with only 2 spots left for each time frame (appointments are every 15 minutes). So I was able to book my DDs an appointment on Sunday for their test on Tuesday.

Oh - and we flew into Buffalo too and had a similar experience. The National Guard that gave us our forms also said just name, phone, and flight number. He said they only need the form to contact us if someone on our flight has Covid. I assume no phone call means nobody had/has Covid.......but it hasn't been 14 days yet so I guess they can still call.

Oh - and we flew into Buffalo too and had a similar experience. The National Guard that gave us our forms also said just name, phone, and flight number. He said they only need the form to contact us if someone on our flight has Covid. I assume no phone call means nobody had/has Covid.......but it hasn't been 14 days yet so I guess they can still call.
Interesting. We know others who had to fill out the form and they've had their information verified and the health department has checked in to ensure they're adhering to the quarantine. Its always been my understanding that the form was both for contact tracing as well as enforcement of quaratine, though I don't know if they've actually fined anyone not complying with the quarantine.

And, if they aren't keeping in touch with people who filled out the forms, I'm not sure how or when they'd even find out someone on your flight had covid. I suppose from contact tracing, but I know that hasn't been the most efficient here and I would really doubt that contact tracers have a line of communication to someone who has access to all those forms completed at NY airports. Bizarre.

Interesting. We know others who had to fill out the form and they've had their information verified and the health department has checked in to ensure they're adhering to the quarantine. Its always been my understanding that the form was both for contact tracing as well as enforcement of quaratine, though I don't know if they've actually fined anyone not complying with the quarantine.

And, if they aren't keeping in touch with people who filled out the forms, I'm not sure how or when they'd even find out someone on your flight had covid. I suppose from contact tracing, but I know that hasn't been the most efficient here and I would really doubt that contact tracers have a line of communication to someone who has access to all those forms completed at NY airports. Bizarre.

We thought it was kind of weird too, but we just filled out the forms with minimal info like he said. I'm not sure how well this is all working out with the National Guard being at the airports - I suppose they can reevaluate after maybe 3-4 weeks of doing things this way and see what the results are. Day 8 of being home and still no calls/texts. We've all had negative rapid tests so maybe they have access to that info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter