Experience with NY quarantine form and follow-up

Disneytam- Albany is our home airport, too. Where will you test at home on the fourth day and (I am assuming) it can be a rapid test too? Where did you get a rapid test in FL and was there a cost associated?
I got a free rapid test at the Disney Maingate Office Complex (3010 Maingate Lane, Kissimmee). They are open from 8 to 5.

Did you have to have an appointment for the test. Did they give you any information on if the test came back positive, like will they do contract tracing if it comes back positive? Also interested in the costs.
Thanks for sharing

Did you have to have an appointment for the test. Did they give you any information on if the test came back positive, like will they do contract tracing if it comes back positive? Also interested in the costs.
Thanks for sharing
The Disney Maingate Office Complex location is free and walk-up only. I didn't ask about contact tracing.

Disneytam- Albany is our home airport, too. Where will you test at home on the fourth day and (I am assuming) it can be a rapid test too? Where did you get a rapid test in FL and was there a cost associated?
The location we tested at in Florida was the 3010 Maingate Lane that was just a very short drive from the Boulder Ridge at Wilderness Lodge that we stayed at. Between 5-10 minutes. Totally free you park your car and walk up to 2 separate tents for a rapid test. While waiting in line you fill out a short form on your phone. We had the results before we made it back to the hotel. It took about an hour from leaving our hotel till we returned back to the hotel.

I have been searching like crazy for a free state run testing site in NY but haven't found one yet. We did receive an email today stating that as we were essential workers we didn't have to quarantine. If you really read that essential worker list it covers a lot of different job descriptions! Hope this helps.

I’m confused on the essential worker exemption, I was kinda thinking that essential workers were exempt if they were traveling during their duties but had to follow rules if they were traveling “for pleasure”, my husband insists that essential workers are exempt at all times.... I’ve tried to find info but it’s still unclear

I’m confused on the essential worker exemption, I was kinda thinking that essential workers were exempt if they were traveling during their duties but had to follow rules if they were traveling “for pleasure”, my husband insists that essential workers are exempt at all times.... I’ve tried to find info but it’s still unclear
I agree with your husband. We received an email saying as we were essential workers we didn't need to quarantine. Also I didn't mark on the form that we filled out at the airport that we were essential workers so no idea how they figured that one out. I didn't mark it because we were traveling for pleasure. Though the rules seem to change all the time.

I called the helpline to ask the same question. A very nasty lady told me that traveling for pleasure would not apply. Going to call again to see if I get the same answer. The news has a story on today, that one person tested negative in one nostril and positive in the other at the same time. NYS is putting way too much emphasis on these tests.

Last edited:
I called the helpline to ask the same question. A very nasty lady told me that traveling for pleasure would not apply. Going to call again to see if I get the same answer. The news has a story on today, that one person tested negative in one nostril and positive in the other at the same time. NYS is putting way too much emphasis on these tests.
This seems a little unbelievable to me as you use the same swab in both nostrils, and yes I thought that was gross. We just returned to NY on Saturday and we did get rapid tested before leaving. When I filled out the short form at the airport in NY both my husband and I checked that we were not essential workers due to the fact that we were traveling for pleasure. We both received emails telling us that we didn't need to quarantine because we were essential workers. I have no idea how they knew that but?

We won't have a car in Disney so I'm still holding out hope there will be a place we can test without having to rent a car (and we'd like to avoid cabs, etc.). We've reported to the school, sports clubs, and work about our upcoming trip and every single one is only asking for a copy of the negative test from Day 4 (nothing about the earlier Florida test). So I guess the purpose of the Florida test is if we should quarantine or not from Day 1-4 at home? We are going to quarantine regardless because school/work/sports won't allow us back until negative test on Day 4 of being home.

Last edited:
We won't have a car in Disney so I'm still holding out hope there will be a place we can test without having to rent a car. We've reported to the school, sports clubs, and work about our upcoming trip and every single one is only asking for a copy of the negative test from Day 4 (nothing about the earlier Florida test). So I guess the purpose of the Florida test is if we should quarantine or not from Day 1-4 at home? We are going to quarantine regardless because school/work/sports won't allow us back until negative test on Day 4 of being home.
You don't need a car at the Maingate testing site; you'll just have to take an Uber, Lyft, or cab to get there. It's walk-up only.

The location we tested at in Florida was the 3010 Maingate Lane that was just a very short drive from the Boulder Ridge at Wilderness Lodge that we stayed at. Between 5-10 minutes. Totally free you park your car and walk up to 2 separate tents for a rapid test. While waiting in line you fill out a short form on your phone. We had the results before we made it back to the hotel. It took about an hour from leaving our hotel till we returned back to the hotel.
Did they text or email you the results? I’m assuming they don’t want you waiting there to receive your results in person?

I have been searching like crazy for a free state run testing site in NY but haven't found one yet. We did receive an email today stating that as we were essential workers we didn't have to quarantine. If you really read that essential worker list it covers a lot of different job descriptions! Hope this helps.
Your last point is so telling, IMO. Florida and NY have been "spatting" this whole time and here FL is offering free testing that sounds to be very convenient. The big medical group near me in NY has recently sent out a note that no testing will be done for "vacation exemptions." So, you have to look around at the other options like CVS or Walgreens or some other group.

For those who have completed trips under the new guidelines, how have you proven you tested negative within 72 hours? Are you forwarding them an email or some other sort of proof?
Its my understanding you only have to furnish proof of the results if its requested from you. In that case, there's a way to submit the results electronically.

I agree with your husband. We received an email saying as we were essential workers we didn't need to quarantine. Also I didn't mark on the form that we filled out at the airport that we were essential workers so no idea how they figured that one out. I didn't mark it because we were traveling for pleasure. Though the rules seem to change all the time.
DH is an essential worker and its been our understanding from the very beginning - both from our own reading, as well as DH's company's HR advisory consultant - that because he does not have to travel for work performing essential job functions, he would be required to comply with the NY travel advisory quarantine/testing requirements if traveling on his own. The verbiage on the NY's web site regarding essential workers (mid-way down at this link) also seems to imply that "essential worker" relates to travel required for work under one's employer: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory -- it specifically says "This includes instances such as an essential worker working on longer projects, fulfilling extended employment obligations, and other longer duration activities." for people coming into NY for longer than 36 hours (so, people returning home to NY).

I'm planning a trip in December and finding a place near me (Finger Lakes region) that will do asymptomatic testing has been tough. My county sent a flyer, but the only options we can use for travel are limited--one tests on thursdays from 1-1:30 (that will be two days into our return, or 9 days, in which case we might as well wait 14!) and the other requires you to sign up but it appears the appointments are released daily at midnight and snapped up with in minutes. I'm obviously going to try the second option but am very frustrated that I can't find a place to get a test easily. I'll pay, that's fine!

I'm planning a trip in December and finding a place near me (Finger Lakes region) that will do asymptomatic testing has been tough. My county sent a flyer, but the only options we can use for travel are limited--one tests on thursdays from 1-1:30 (that will be two days into our return, or 9 days, in which case we might as well wait 14!) and the other requires you to sign up but it appears the appointments are released daily at midnight and snapped up with in minutes. I'm obviously going to try the second option but am very frustrated that I can't find a place to get a test easily. I'll pay, that's fine!
It is very frustrating. Where I am on Long Island the line for the 15 minute rapid test is a 2-3 hour wait outdoors in the cold. My daughter’s friend, who had symptoms, stood on line for 3 hours 15 minutes yesterday in 35 degree weather. He tested negative.
I understand the thinking behind the out of state testing but with cases high all over, this testing at home and quarantining seems pointless. We felt safe in Florida and traveling. I do not feel safe standing on line waiting for a covid test with those who are symptomatic.

It is very frustrating. Where I am on Long Island the line for the 15 minute rapid test is a 2-3 hour wait outdoors in the cold. My daughter’s friend, who had symptoms, stood on line for 3 hours 15 minutes yesterday in 35 degree weather. He tested negative.
I understand the thinking behind the out of state testing but with cases high all over, this testing at home and quarantining seems pointless. We felt safe in Florida and traveling. I do not feel safe standing on line waiting for a covid test with those who are symptomatic.
Agree 100%. It makes no sense to wait on a long line with people who very well may have the virus. Or any illness for that matter! it's not logical!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter