Existing DVC Member Direct - Add on Direct or Resale?

SMC23

Earning My Ears
Hello fellow DVC members,

First post here and wanted to get more input as our decision on adding more points is quite the dilemma, believe it or not.

We have been DVC members since 2018 purchased 100pts direct at Copper Creek. We wanted to ideally end up with more points at the time, but of course with other financial obligations, that was the most points we could do with the plan to eventually add more in the near future. To our surprise, we have found out that as of this posting, Copper Creek is now at $220/pt! As always, we have a finite budget so are looking at the possible options below:

Option 1: Add 75pts Copper Creek = Total $16,500 approx.

Option 2: Add 100pts Copper Creek Resale = Total $15,000 approx.

The last option, we are quite intrigued with as it would give us two Home resorts to choose from.

Option 3: Add 100pts Riviera Resort = Total $18,800 aprox.

We plan to vacation alternate years in the July= August timeframe. We are fairly young in our early 30s with two kids, 6 and 3.

Any advice is appreciated.

I guess the first question I have is how you feel about Riviera? Love, okay, whatever?

Resale?? Personally, I've never bought resale but people are saying it's a 'saver' why to go. Plus there's more variety.

We could only form an opinion from others and watching videos online of Riviera, and so far we Like It! The decor is very nice like Copper Creek and the location of resort is very appealing to us. The only drawback we see is the amount of points required for a Studio. We would like to stay at Disney for at least 9-11nights when we vacation as we are flying from North East Canada.

Of course we would ideally want to see Riviera in person before signing but unfortunately that wouldn’t be possible if we want to get in before the price increase.

Also, we don’t plan to sell the contracts and hope to one day pass each of our kids the contracts.

Side question; just became aware of Disney’s restriction of having to maintain 100pts direct to receive the Membership Extra’s. As we purchased before any restrictions were in effect does this mean we are not affected if Disney decides to raise it one day?

Side question; just became aware of Disney’s restriction of having to maintain 100pts direct to receive the Membership Extra’s. As we purchased before any restrictions were in effect does this mean we are not affected if Disney decides to raise it one day?
You are all set. If you have qualified points they remain that way. Now, if you ever sell those points, then you will need the new minimum.

1. very few people plan to sell when they buy. People don't plan the events that cause the sale, generally.

2. I always caution people about becoming too attached to decor. Refurbs happen, and can drastically change the look and decor. OKW is a good recent example. What's happening at Saratoga is another. Resorts are almost always nicest/most unique at inception, and refurb regresses it to a mean.

You are all set. If you have qualified points they remain that way. Now, if you ever sell those points, then you will need the new minimum.

I am glad to hear this!

Since our existing direct points already have the Member Extra's, this opens up options to resales. We've been watching tons of Riviera videos to get a feel of the resort as best we can and so far we are liking what we see.

I am glad to hear this!

Since our existing direct points already have the Member Extra's, this opens up options to resales. We've been watching tons of Riviera videos to get a feel of the resort as best we can and so far we are liking what we see.

Just a reminder though, having direct points and member benefits doesn’t change..Ie: member perks and discounts

However, when adding on resale as of last January, those points are not eligible for RIV and future resorts. Any points owned prior to Jan2019 are, but if you buy resale now, they will only be good at the L14.

Depends on your family size. I would love Rivera but points are high so won't likely stay there so for me no direct there. The difference of direct and resale at your first 2 options isn't a big savings. That being said I would get 2 direct with 2 different UY so and gift to children someday and they both have the perks. If you don't have kids and already have direct go with resale and gettiing 25 more points. Good luck!

First post here and wanted to get more input as our decision on adding more points is quite the dilemma, believe it or not.

We have been DVC members since 2018 purchased 100pts direct at Copper Creek. We wanted to ideally end up with more points at the time, but of course with other financial obligations, that was the most points we could do with the plan to eventually add more in the near future. To our surprise, we have found out that as of this posting, Copper Creek is now at $220/pt! As always, we have a finite budget so are looking at the possible options below:

The last option, we are quite intrigued with as it would give us two Home resorts to choose from.

We plan to vacation alternate years in the July= August timeframe. We are fairly young in our early 30s with two kids, 6 and 3.

We did almost the same thing (but more points) - deciding between adding on resale at BLT (we already had direct benefits and a resale contract there) or getting the same # of points at Riviera - so basically your Option 2 or 3, but with about $5000 difference, and we went with Option 3.

We also plan(ned) to use our contracts separately. Our other home resorts were BLT and VGF, so we really wanted a home resort in the EP/HS area (and BCV and BWV resale didn't work for us, even though we like the resorts). With banking to use opposite years, you'd have 200 points at CCV one year, and 200 points at RIV the next. Or, as we have ended up doing, a half week at an MK resort, and half week at EP/HS resorts.

To me, having another home resort in a different area, for up to 50 years, would be worth an extra $3800 (in your case; $5000 in ours).

Depends on your family size. I would love Rivera but points are high so won't likely stay there so for me no direct there. The difference of direct and resale at your first 2 options isn't a big savings. That being said I would get 2 direct with 2 different UY so and gift to children someday and they both have the perks. If you don't have kids and already have direct go with resale and gettiing 25 more points. Good luck!
I agree also. This is a huge reason we are almost certainly buying Copper Creek over Riviera.

I personally love having more than one home resort! I also greatly appreciate the added value you get with resale contracts. I do have 1 direct purchase, and we do enjoy the perks, but probably not enough to ever buy direct again. And since you are already a direct-purchase member, there is no “need” to pay extra unless you want to make sure ALL of your points can be used at ANY resort (present or future)... which definitely gives value, but it’s up to you how important that factor is.

I always encourage buying resale & hope to continue adding on that way myself! 😉 We have way more points through resale than we could’ve purchased buying direct- the savings were astounding!! However, our last purchase was at AKV, not CC- so the resale prices were much lower for us. I’m probably one of the crazy people out there waiting to buy a devalued resale contract at Riviera. I wouldn’t mind the restrictions as I know I’d want to stay there 👍🏻

I agree also. This is a huge reason we are almost certainly buying Copper Creek over Riviera.
Family size does matter - if you stay only in CCV, 5 people or more will put you in 2BR. Studios and 1br at Riviera will accommodate up to 5 adults. The living room of a RIV 1br is quite spacious for 3 - whether it's an adult family member or a 3rd kid.

Thank you all for your valued input. As you may know its never an easy decision and we took everyone's input into consideration.

I am happy to say we have purchased 100pts at Riviera! After numerous videos we have come to love what the new resort has to offer. Our main selling point was Riviera's fabulous location, and you know what they say about location. With Disney's plans over the coming years with Hollywood Studios and Epcot, we thought it would make sense to have another home resort in this area. We foresee splitting Studio stays between Copper Creek and Riviera. As for the Riviera resale issue, we figure its a non-issue for us as we hope to pass it down to our kids one day...so essentially looking at the contract as a write off from the outset, just like how a new car would depreciate over time. Just hope to get the very most from it!

Thank you all for your valued input. As you may know its never an easy decision and we took everyone's input into consideration.

I am happy to say we have purchased 100pts at Riviera! After numerous videos we have come to love what the new resort has to offer. Our main selling point was Riviera's fabulous location, and you know what they say about location. With Disney's plans over the coming years with Hollywood Studios and Epcot, we thought it would make sense to have another home resort in this area. We foresee splitting Studio stays between Copper Creek and Riviera. As for the Riviera resale issue, we figure its a non-issue for us as we hope to pass it down to our kids one day...so essentially looking at the contract as a write off from the outset, just like how a new car would depreciate over time. Just hope to get the very most from it!
Congratulations and welcome home! The Riviera studios will feel large after CCV.

1. very few people plan to sell when they buy. People don't plan the events that cause the sale, generally.

2. I always caution people about becoming too attached to decor. Refurbs happen, and can drastically change the look and decor. OKW is a good recent example. What's happening at Saratoga is another. Resorts are almost always nicest/most unique at inception, and refurb regresses it to a mean.
Are you saying Saratoga Springs refurbishment has a bad look and bad decor/regressed?

Are you saying Saratoga Springs refurbishment has a bad look and bad decor/regressed?

I am saying it's a big change. Studios are losing the table, for instance. "drastically change the look and decor." This usually means going blander, but often also includes furniture changes as well.

OKW definitely regressed to a norm. Many argued BWV and BCV went bland in their refurbs as well, and added a bed in the studios which wasn't necessarily a hit with the long-time owners.

If you plan to stay in studios, the Poly extra bathroom and space might be the dealmaker, like it was for us.

Poly resale gives you greater value and point chart, and availability. With over 350 studios, you're going to be able to make it work at Poly. Poly is only missing a few years in the contract, and at a steep discount from direct. We are not Epcot people, so Poly's location is better for us.

I would not even consider Riviera with the resale being so locked down. This is a lot of money to lock up in something you might not be able to offload, and you could add 150 points resale with the math you are throwing around.

I am saying it's a big change. Studios are losing the table, for instance. "drastically change the look and decor." This usually means going blander, but often also includes furniture changes as well.

OKW definitely regressed to a norm. Many argued BWV and BCV went bland in their refurbs as well, and added a bed in the studios which wasn't necessarily a hit with the long-time owners.
I had not heard that SSR is losing the tables. That is crazy! The rooms have a kitchenette. Do they think we don't eat in our rooms? Also, are you saying that BCV and BWV have two beds now???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter