"Eww, princesses..."

OP, back in march DD9 informed me she was too big for princesses when I asked her if she wanted to eat breakfast with them (I had scored a ressie in Norway). My heart broke:sad1: When I told her I wanted to do it for me she was okay with it. After a one-on-one talk she finally admitted she did want to see a couple of the princesses, but could I not tell anyone? Well long story short, I managed a CRT, cancelled Norway, and DD was in awe when she realized that Ariel (her all-time fav) was there in her green ballgown. Her eyes did not leave Ariel until she arrived at our table, and her conversation when Ariel left was was aw-filled also :lovestruc I stuck to my agreement I haven't told any of her friends (just mine), and DD actually met with some of the other princesses with their prince throughout the trip (her choice).
The other day she wanted to know when we were going back because she realized she has never gotten autographs for Tiana, Mulan, or Rapunzel. DD maybe worried about what other's think (very common starting at this age I've found), or she may truely be past her princess stage. Let her lead, once she gets there you may find yourself in a princess line or 2, especailly if their prince is with them:love:

Great story, thanks for sharing! I'm sure my DS9 will be happy with not having to wait in princess lines anyway. He doesn't seem to have outgrown the characters, but he is a self-proclaimed "nerd" and definitely shares my enthusiasm for all things Disney. But he never liked the princesses, so I can't really compare it to DD.

oh- I misunderstood. I thought DD7 had outgrown princesses-Yeah I get DS not wanting to get near those "yucky" girls. My DD outgrew playing with her princess stuff around 6/7, but still enjoyed the movies. It caught me off guard when her first reaction was no to eating with them. Have a good trip, I know DS will:goodvibes

That's too bad. My mom's BFF's DD loves the Princesses and she recently turned 15. She's in high school and her friends all love the princesses. I like them but I'm more into the furry characters.

I think it has a little to do with asserting independance. My DD7 recently said that she no longer liked princesses anymore, which broke my heart. I asked her why and she said that "they talk funny" and she just doesn't like them...ok. Well, I said that I was going to take her Tangled comforter off of her bed, and she said "NO! I like Rapunzel, she knows how to use a frying pan!" :lmao: My DD is somewhat of a tomboy, prefering ripped jeans and sneakers to dresses (which she used to wear nothing BUT dresses when she was little). Just like it was hard when she stopped wearing dresses, her latest assertion of not liking princesses was difficult because she's growing up and forming her own opinions.(but still LOVING Disney she says...she will clarify that she likes the rides at Disney more than the princesses...RNR is her fave!!!) I will say though, that once I stopped asking her about why she no longer liked princesses and just let her be...she stopped her boycott, I think because it didn't get a "rise" out of me anymore. That's when I decided it was just independence, and seeing if she could express her opinion without me being mad about it. I love my baby girl - princesses or no princesses! :love:

oh- I misunderstood. I thought DD7 had outgrown princesses-Yeah I get DS not wanting to get near those "yucky" girls. My DD outgrew playing with her princess stuff around 6/7, but still enjoyed the movies. It caught me off guard when her first reaction was no to eating with them. Have a good trip, I know DS will:goodvibes

Sorry, I was talking about my DD7! I switched gears on you there and started talking about my other kid. I was thinking about our last meal at CRT with the princesses and how much DD loved it but DS hated it. I'm so glad your DD enjoyed the meal. I agree that CRT is a magical experience!

I think it has a little to do with asserting independance. My DD7 recently said that she no longer liked princesses anymore, which broke my heart. I asked her why and she said that "they talk funny" and she just doesn't like them...ok. Well, I said that I was going to take her Tangled comforter off of her bed, and she said "NO! I like Rapunzel, she knows how to use a frying pan!" :lmao: My DD is somewhat of a tomboy, prefering ripped jeans and sneakers to dresses (which she used to wear nothing BUT dresses when she was little). Just like it was hard when she stopped wearing dresses, her latest assertion of not liking princesses was difficult because she's growing up and forming her own opinions.(but still LOVING Disney she says...she will clarify that she likes the rides at Disney more than the princesses...RNR is her fave!!!) I will say though, that once I stopped asking her about why she no longer liked princesses and just let her be...she stopped her boycott, I think because it didn't get a "rise" out of me anymore. That's when I decided it was just independence, and seeing if she could express her opinion without me being mad about it. I love my baby girl - princesses or no princesses! :love:

This sounds just like my DD. And my DD hasn't ridden RNRC yet, but it is what she is most looking forward to. She and DS are going to LOOOOVE it!
Me, not so much, rode it once and I'd rather visit the princesses. :)

My daughter is similar to those of some other posters. She once went from loving something one day and saying it "was not cool" in a week. When I questioned her she said when she mentioned liking it (Nick Jr) at school, a friend said it was for babies.

I told her if she really didn’t like it anymore that was fine, but to have her own opinion and especially since she has a baby brother, if she still liked Nick Jr, there was nothing wrong with that. Turns out she really did still like it.

When she hit the Barbie phase, and Selena Gomez became popular and Ci Ci and Rocky (Shake It Up!) came along, I was thinking the princess thing would be in the wind. She's pretty much completely forgotten about Hannah Montana (not that I'm complaining), but she's not letting go of the princess thing yet. I think I probably have a little more time with that one.

It helps for us I think that they've added a couple. She wants me to make sure we get to meet Rapunzel on our next trip. She was at WDW during our first trip, but she hadn't seen Tangled yet and didn't really know who she was. On our next trip, she'll be 9. Oddly enough, she has a new thing with Jasmine going. I think it's the outfit. Her favorite tends to change, but she still loves them. I think it helps too that Disney is starting to push the "princess in you" thing…the idea that what makes you a princess is what is inside you. She really likes that.

My daughter might not want to wear a particular princess dress, but she'd wear a formal dress and do a princess meal. Ebay has loads of them for under $20.

Perhaps there's another character she likes more now. Our other must meet for our next trip is Phineas and Ferb.

Yep, Phineas and Ferb was a must do for us in June! Jasmine also for some reason- Maybe because we had never met her for various reasons. The other thing I noticed was DD9 wanted to meet the princesses that we knew a prince was with. So that may have been the Jasmine deal, Aladdan has always been low on her list. THe autographs with the prince and princeess was put on one page with them declaring their love. DD thought this was great!!! I decided that it's definately a "Tween" thing! What can you do with 'em? Just love 'em and prepare yourself for the teen years. At this age you never know what they'll like ffrom one day to the next!

On our trip this past Jan. dd was 7. No more princess costumes. :( However, she was still happy to dine with the princesses and take pics. She just was over wearing the costumes.

I know this isn't a popular thought on the Disney boards, but I actually discourage the princess culture. So instead, my DD wants to be a queen since queens are more powerful. When they did princess day at camp, she was Princess Diana. She absolutely loved that she dressed up as a real princess. I showed her pictures and we talked about some of the good things that Princess Diana did. ODS is the most stereotypical boy I've ever met and does not like princesses at all. However, both kids love Disney. It's quite possible to love Disney and not love princesses. I wouldn't worry about your daughter not being into princesses. There is so much at Disney that missing the princess stuff really isn't a big deal.

*None of my kids are into the characters. I didn't push for this at all. However, the positive perk of this is that we don't have to stand in line for character signatures - giving us a lot more time for rides and attractions! (DD did want to stand in line for a character last time but changed her mind when it was her turn. My oldest has zero interest).

Id just want to make sure she isn't into princesses anymore because SHE decided she was ready to move on as opposed to because someone else has given her that message that princesses are for babies.

I'm trying to teach my kids to not be afraid to be true to their own opinons and to not allow themselves to be easily influenced. It's so hard as kids naturally want to be accepted by their peers. I think I'm doing a pretty good job so far. Despite all the initial teasing my 10 yr old daughter used an Elmo messenger bag for school all of last year. She loves Elmo :)

This is so true! My DD is 6 and in first grade. She came home the other day and asked me if she is too old for dolls. Now, this kid loves loves loves dolls, princesses, etc. Apparently the girl she sits next to told her that, and my DD is listening "because I want to be her friend." We had a long talk about how people can have different opinions and that's ok, plus it's fine to like dolls. It just makes me sad that the social pressure begins this young. I'm afraid of what lies ahead sometimes!

Ps-I carried an Ariel wallet in high school while wearing orange sneakers with green shoe laces. I wore all white on senior punk day because I didn't like what it stood for. I myself really could care less about other people's opinions. My sister, on the other hand, practically dies if she's not always seen in a favorable light. I tell my DD that most people are so busy with their own life to even notice or care.

OP here. Yes, she absolutely loved the princesses (at least Ariel and Cinderella, she never cared for Sleeping Beauty or Snow White) when she was younger, and when she was 5 she did the BBB and we ate at CRT. I will always remember that!

DD has always had very strong opinions and has never been afraid to share them. If she really doesn't like the princesses any more, that's fine, there's still plenty to love at Disney, but I do wonder if she isn't being influenced by others. She's also decided that she no longer likes Barbie or Polly Pockets, so I suppose she's just reached that age where she wants to be more grown up. Pretty sure I didn't hit that stage until 10 or so. She does still love her American Girl doll. And she's somewhat of a tomboy, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Of course it's not the end of the world if she doesn't like princesses, but I think it just made me realize that she is growing up so fast. I still love the princesses- my dad is a huge Disney fan and always read Disney princess stories to my sister and me when we were kids. I don't remember ever not liking them, but then again there wasn't really merchandise and everything that there is today. I am absolutely certain that we will still have a fantastic trip!

Your dd sounds just like mine. My dd9 is sooo over the princesses and fairies. She made sure to let me know that we will NOT be dining in Norway with the princesses this trip...broke my heart. We have eaten there every trip since she was 1 yr old.

We all grow up sometime...this is their time (as much as we don't want them to).

This thread is speaking my heart too! We are taking my niece for her first trip in February, and in a 10 year old's fit of supremacy she looked at me and said..."Disney doesn't solve everything!" :sad2: I was crushed! An hour later she was crawled up in my lap, and trying to explain her outburst. I realize her views of going are not mine, but I know she will always remember her first trip to WDW was with us!:thumbsup2

I think my older DD outgrew princesses about age 9 and unfortunately swept younger DD (about age 6 then) along with her. I was OK with older DD but sad to see the younger one give them up so soon.

My older daughter, now 12, has gone "retro" and now thinks the Winnie the Pooh characters are the best. She has also liked Mickey and Minnie all along.

Younger DD9 is a fairy fan (she IS Tinkerbell in many ways), but when I asked her which characters were a priority for our trip next month she said Fab 5 and Chip/Dale (new T-shirt).

The boys are really excited to see Phineas and Ferb (but maybe I'm more excited than they) and DH won't own up to his crush on Jasmine.

PHXscuba

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter