Everything I touch turns to broken. A fantastic Festival of the Arts Trip – January 2023 (Updated 6/22!!)

We were there last year for Farts, but I am now regretting all of the things I didn't even really notice/look for. Good thing we're heading back next year!! ;)
Definitely need to check out the chalk, do the paint by numbers, hit up the booths, scavenger hunts...
Haha, it's kinda amazing how many little things there are to do that add up quickly! I could have easily made this into a full week trip! So exciting you're going to Farts next year, hope you have an amazing trip!

Day 3, Part 2: Eating My Way Around the World!

I found myself at Mexico around 10:45, so decided since it was close to the food booths opening, I might as well just hang out there and wait since there was an item at Mexico that was on my must try list!

I found a table to take a break at that I could also monitor the food booth to see when it opened.

Well, as I was waiting there was no line for the food booth, so I took a minute to send my mom some pictures of the chalk art, and when I looked up again a huge line for the food booth had formed! Eek!

So I headed over there to get in line.

I ended up behind this really sweet couple and we chatted about all the food we wanted to try while waiting for the booth to open.

Finally at 11 the booth opened, and even though the line was pretty long, it was only about 8 minutes before it was my turn to order.

Today I got the carne asada and the marshmallow margarita.

Goodies in hand I made my way to a table to enjoy.

Now, I had read some mixed reviews on the margarita, so was hesitant to try it, but I’m glad I did! It was super smoky, but very good! I wrote in my notes app that it tasted exactly like Rome burning smells. :rotfl2:

The carne asada was really good, but wasn’t quite at the same level as the grilled cheese or risotto.

After finishing up I decided to swing by the Odyssey again to look at the art since the previous visit had been too crowded to really browse, also I wanted to get a print of the picture I found in the American pavilion.

Fortunately, this morning it was pretty empty in there so I spent a good amount of time browsing. I couldn’t find the print of the painting I loved so asked a CM. She looked at it and sadly confirmed that it was not being sold at the Odyssey, but she thought they had it at one of the tents by Morocco.

Oh well, I tried. Guess I would have to make another loop of WS!

I did find some other art at the Odyssey that I ended up buying, so still glad I stopped there!

Here is the lineup of the prints I've gotten framed so far. (ignore the mess in my house please!)

I had this, and all the art I purchased, shipped home. It was nice to not have to worry about trying to pack any of this!

After finishing up at the Odyssey I headed out to the WS again.

Since I had already gotten food at Mexico that morning I skipped that booth and made my way over to China. Here I got the General Tso’s chicken Shumai and the Char Siu Pork Bun.

The General Tso’s was delicious. I loved this dish. The pork was flavorful, but pretty dry. I had gotten it since someone earlier in the trip mentioned loving the pork in China, however I suspect they really meant the pork in Japan since I’ve seen a lot of great reviews for that one (sadly I was too full by the time I got to Japan).

My next stop was Germany, and I had a feeling this would be good since there was quite the long line for this booth!

Here I ordered the Short Rib and the Rose flight.

It took a while for the short rib to come out, they were still making them at that point, but it was worth the wait! This was phenomenal! It was so tender I didn’t even need a knife.

The Rose flight was also really good, I was surprised how much I liked the cider! Ciders are very hit or miss for me since I’m not a fan of very sweet things, but this cider wasn’t super sweet so I found it to be really nice!

After finishing up my food in Germany, I found myself in Italy.

I was getting a bit full at this point, and none of the food in Italy was really appealing to me, but there was a drink that was calling my name, the Amaretto Bellini!

This was a good drink to enjoy while strolling, however I prefer the limoncello margarita over this.

My next stop was the American Adventure where I got the duck!

Once I had my food in hand I headed over to an open picnic table, but just as I got there, this older couple was walking by between me and the table so I paused to let them pass, but once they saw that I was about to sit at the table, they just suddenly sat there instead! Seriously, I was about 2 ft from the table, and I only stopped to let them pass, who knew grandma and grandpa were massive jerks! The crazy thing is, there were about 6 tables in a row they had just passed and 4 of them were empty, but they only decided to sit down after they saw I was about to sit there with my food! :sad2:

Whatever, there were seriously 4 empty tables right next to that one that this couple had just walked by so I went to sit at one of those.

Settled in I dug into my meal, and wow, this was so good!

The last time I had duck was at Monsieur Paul’s years ago, and while good it wasn’t my favorite. This dish however was really good! It tasted a lot like turkey!

Next up: More Art Please!

Last edited:
You’re really making me want to do a FARTs trip next year! Missed it by only a hand full of days this time!

The framed art looks amazing!

Now, I had read some mixed reviews on the margarita, so was hesitant to try it, but I’m glad I did! It was super smoky, but very good! I wrote in my notes app that it tasted exactly like Rome burning smells. :rotfl2:
I love your description of the marshmallow margarita. I can picture exactly what that drink might be like. :)

Argh! I missed out on the short rib in Germany. It was on my list but I never got there. Sigh. Too many things to try at every festival. LOVE the art you selected ... especially the tea cups/Dumbo/carousel one. I know what you mean about running out of wall space. I'm on the verge of either having to decorate my garage or rotate things inside like a museum. :laughing:

I love your description of the marshmallow margarita. I can picture exactly what that drink might be like. :)
Haha thanks! Yeah, that was the first thing that popped in my head when I tasted it, so I jotted it down in my notes app so I wouldn't forget!

Argh! I missed out on the short rib in Germany. It was on my list but I never got there. Sigh. Too many things to try at every festival. LOVE the art you selected ... especially the tea cups/Dumbo/carousel one. I know what you mean about running out of wall space. I'm on the verge of either having to decorate my garage or rotate things inside like a museum. :laughing:
Aw, yeah it's hard when there is so much to try at these festivals!

Thank you, I really love the art I got, I got really into the whimsical art while I was there, and stocked up!

Haha, I'm actually considering to start rotating art. I have the additional problem that we have two arts fests where I live each year as well, so I just keep buying art I have no room for. Not a bad problem to have I guess!

Day 3, Part 3: More Art Please!

After I finished my food in America I was getting full, and wanted to find that piece of art from earlier that I loved, so headed out in the direction of Morocco where the CM at the Odyssey had said she thought the art would be.

On the way I stopped by another art booth that had caught my attention earlier in the week. There was this really nice print of the pavilions of WS, and it had the Illuminations Globe, AND it turns out has a handful of hidden Mickey’s and other hidden Epcot things, so I decided to purchase it. While checking out the CM let me know that the artist would be there that afternoon signing pieces, so offered to keep my print out so I could come back later to get him to sign it. How cool!

I finally made my way to the art booths by Morocco, and finally in the one set in the back, I found the piece I was looking for!

I’m so happy I found it, I seriously love this picture.

After acquiring the art I wanted, it was already almost 1:00, which was well within my return time for my Guardians ILL, so I headed that direction.

It was a short wait with the ILL, and soon I was in the preshow(s).

This ride I got September, again. Haha. Seriously, why do I get this song so much???

After the ride I made my way around WS again, this time to head back to the booth I picked up my Epcot print to get the artist to sign it!

I arrived just after the artist did, but had to go talk to the CM about getting my print back so the artist could sign it.

The CM here was so nice, but my goodness, not the brightest crayon in the box. So they had a big sticker on the front of the plastic film of my print showing that it was sold and connecting the shipping information. Well, she decided she needed to try to rip that off in order for the artist to sign the print. However, that sticker was a quality sticker and did NOT want to come off. She kept trying, and eventually I mentioned to her that I doubted it needed to be removed for the artist to sign since he would remove the picture from the plastic wrap.

She paused a second when I said that, but decided that no, the sticker did in fact need to be removed. :rotfl2:

So about 10 minutes later with half a sticker still stuck to the plastic sleeve since it just wouldn’t come off, I was able to get the print signed.

After returning my art to the CM to re-sticker it, I made my way over to Japan where I wanted to get the Sake in the personalized wood cup.

This was a surprising drink for me. I’ve had sake before, but never like this! This one was so smooth, had a very very mild flavor, in fact I tasted the wood almost as much as the sake! I really liked it, plus it’s a cool souvenir!

After finishing my drink, I decided to take a break back at the hotel. I was really starting to feel the lack of sleep that week and needed to go sit down for a while!

Next up: Takumi-Tei!

Last edited:
I got the same WS print. Love all the hidden Mickeys and other details... I haven't even found all of them yet. I met the artist and had him sign too. Love that aspect of the festival. I also loved the sake and agree the box is a really cute souvenir. I put a succulent plant in mine. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Takumi-Tei!!

I got the same WS print. Love all the hidden Mickeys and other details... I haven't even found all of them yet. I met the artist and had him sign too. Love that aspect of the festival. I also loved the sake and agree the box is a really cute souvenir. I put a succulent plant in mine. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Takumi-Tei!!
Isn't the WS print so cool? I originally was drawn to it because of the Illuminations globe (turns out I'm not handling it's departure very well :rotfl: ), so it was an extra bonus it had all the hidden stuff! I think I've found all the Epcot stuff, but I'm not even close to finding all the hidden Mickey's!

That is such a great idea to put a succulent in the sake box! I may need to copy it, right now mine is just on a display case gathering dust.

I'm really excited to post about my Takumi-Tei experience, it was definitely a very special night with maybe a minor hiccup.... :rolleyes1

I like the sake in the wooden cup. It would make a cute souvenir.
It is such a cool souvenir, I'm so happy I got it. At first I wasn't sure if I'd drink the whole thing since I haven't really enjoyed the sake I've had before, but the one they served there was so much better than the ones I've tried before. I would get this one again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter