Everything about PhotoPass and Memory Maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I purchased Memory Maker, do I have to scan my Magic Band anywhere to get ride photos?
Ride photos should link automatically as long as you are wearing your MagicBand and it's battery is good. Most rides have a display where you can manually link the photo by touching your MB (or RFID Card) to the reader, but typically you shouldn't need to. IIRC, only the 7DMT and FEA don't have a way to manually link your photos.

Ride photos should link automatically as long as you are wearing your MagicBand and it's battery is good. Most rides have a display where you can manually link the photo by touching your MB (or RFID Card) to the reader, but typically you shouldn't need to. IIRC, only the 7DMT and FEA don't have a way to manually link your photos.

Thanks for the quick response!

Thank You , I think I can make it work. I have not downloaded any pics yet, for I was wanting to use it on March 1 at the DAH party so I believe I will be ok.
Even if you took your first pictures right away on Jan 20, March 1 would still be within 45 days. You could edit your January pictures mid February, and the do a full download towards the end of Feb, and still have another 30 days (late march) to add pictures. No problem.

Thank You Tomh for all your insite.

These boards were a tremendous help to me when I was figuring out our first couple of Disney trips. Even now, I learn things here I wouldn't learn anywhere else. It is nice to be able to give back some to the community that has helped me so much!

If I purchased Memory Maker, do I have to scan my Magic Band anywhere to get ride photos?
As of October when I went, only a few of the rides (like Tower Of Terror, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.) auto link... Others have a wall of monitors with the pictures when you exit the ride, (like at the exit of Space Mountain, Dinosaur, Everest and others), for those you'll want to tap your band to link the photos to your account.

As of October when I went, only a few of the rides (like Tower Of Terror, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.) auto link... Others have a wall of monitors with the pictures when you exit the ride, (like at the exit of Space Mountain, Dinosaur, Everest and others), for those you'll want to tap your band to link the photos to your account.

IF the battery for the long-range RFID in your MB is working, you shouldn't have to tap your band for any ride photo. But if you have an older band or for some reason the battery isn't working well, it might not link. Meaning that if you tap your band, you might get two copies of the same photo in your account - or only one!

IF the battery for the long-range RFID in your MB is working, you shouldn't have to tap your band for any ride photo. But if you have an older band or for some reason the battery isn't working well, it might not link. Meaning that if you tap your band, you might get two copies of the same photo in your account - or only one!
The battery for the long range RFID is supposed to last about two years.
The bands I used were 1.5yr or less old.

My wife and I purchased Epcot 35th bands (on Sept 31) that we used that week (until check out on Oct 7), I also used my MK45th Tiki Room and Pandora LE bands. Our son used his On Demand band he created on our June trip, and his Pandora band. Fearful of "dead batteries" I also brought the bands shipped to me for the resort stay. For that band, I put its "Icon" (puck with RFID transmitters in them) in a magic keeper, and had it on my belt loop every day too just in case (I also did that because staying Club Level at Yacht, they said they had to encode EACH band for floor and room access, therefore I only encoded the icon in the keeper, and could wear any band I brought). So between the band on my wrist, and the one in the keeper on my belt, my wife and son's bands, it should have auto linked if it was able.

Further if it was a dead battery in the bands, then the Mine Train, Tower of Terror and Pirates pictures (and video for MT and ToT) would not have auto linked.

Maybe it supposed to work, but there was a bug when we went in June and October, or there was something else preventing it from auto linking... I can't explain why.. I can just say this is how it has worked for us on our past 3 trips in the last year, and our many trips prior to that.

The battery for the long range RFID is supposed to last about two years.
The bands I used were 1.5yr or less old.

My wife and I purchased Epcot 35th bands (on Sept 31) that we used that week (until check out on Oct 7), I also used my MK45th Tiki Room and Pandora LE bands. Our son used his On Demand band he created on our June trip, and his Pandora band. Fearful of "dead batteries" I also brought the bands shipped to me for the resort stay. For that band, I put its "Icon" (puck with RFID transmitters in them) in a magic keeper, and had it on my belt loop every day too just in case (I also did that because staying Club Level at Yacht, they said they had to encode EACH band for floor and room access, therefore I only encoded the icon in the keeper, and could wear any band I brought). So between the band on my wrist, and the one in the keeper on my belt, my wife and son's bands, it should have auto linked if it was able.

Further if it was a dead battery in the bands, then the Mine Train, Tower of Terror and Pirates pictures (and video for MT and ToT) would not have auto linked.

Maybe it supposed to work, but there was a bug when we went in June and October, or there was something else preventing it from auto linking... I can't explain why.. I can just say this is how it has worked for us on our past 3 trips in the last year, and our many trips prior to that.

I agree it doesn’t always work the way it should. I’ve had missing photos on certain rides (RnR seems to give me problems) and when the PhotoPass folks find them for me it sometimes looks like the Mickey was turned around on the inside of my wrist and against my chest, or buried under heavy jacket sleeve, or something like that. It’s not supposed to work that way, but I agree with you, it does!

I know for sure that on Everest, you will get the photo automatically as long as the battery on the MB is still good, and I expect the others you mention are the same.

I know for sure that on Everest, you will get the photo automatically as long as the battery on the MB is still good, and I expect the others you mention are the same.

I can confirm it usually works on 7DMT also. I'm not sure about Pirates though. On on of my first visits as a passholder (last summer), I remember receiving a watermarked photo in MDE, but the next time I rode didn't receive a picture. The photo expired and did not come back when I upgraded to Gold, while everything else (that had previously expired) appears to be back.

I can confirm it usually works on 7DMT also. I'm not sure about Pirates though. On on of my first visits as a passholder (last summer), I remember receiving a watermarked photo in MDE, but the next time I rode didn't receive a picture. The photo expired and did not come back when I upgraded to Gold, while everything else (that had previously expired) appears to be back.
Yes, we get our photos from Seven Dwarfs, and the video too. We also go our pirates photos, Frozen Ever After, Buzz, Splash, and I know from previous years that Expedition Everest works as well.

The photo expired and did not come back when I upgraded to Gold, while everything else (that had previously expired) appears to be back.

If your AP was anything under a gold it does not come with photos, so this might be way you did not get them and there was a watermark on them.

If your AP was anything under a gold it does not come with photos, so this might be way you did not get them and there was a watermark on them.

The first photo was before I upgraded and was watermarked for that reason. I rode it a second time with PhotoPass and didn't get a picture, but that happens sometimes, though not frequently. Same thing happened to me on Splash once and I got someone else's picture on Buzz Lightyear another time. What is odd is that all my other pictures (Pre-Upgrade) other than that first watermarked PoTC photo seem to be there without the watermarks after the upgrade. Not a big deal as it was just me looking at the scenes. Just odd.

The first photo was before I upgraded and was watermarked for that reason. I rode it a second time with PhotoPass and didn't get a picture, but that happens sometimes, though not frequently. Same thing happened to me on Splash once and I got someone else's picture on Buzz Lightyear another time. What is odd is that all my other pictures (Pre-Upgrade) other than that first watermarked PoTC photo seem to be there without the watermarks after the upgrade. Not a big deal as it was just me looking at the scenes. Just odd.
I see Yes every now and then I get a photo of someone else not a big deal since Igo a lot if there is a photo i really like I will scan my band ( you cant do this at some rides)

As I mentioned, they were new bands, some were the brand new Epcot 35th bands we purchased on Sept 31 and used during our visit until October 7, and they worked to auto link the pix and video for 7D and ToT, and the picture for Pirates. I also had my Resort stay band, my Pandora band from May, and my MK 45th Tiki band (about a year old now), So the batteries were good. (while I order my free band with my Annual Pass, they usually just sit in the box at home.) We did have to tap for Everest. It was the same with our trip in June (also used the Pandora band which was only a month old, and my Tiki Room band). On 7D, ToT and Pirates they auto linked, there is no place to tap (i can't remember others off the top of my head). For any ride like Everest, Rock N Roller, Space Mountain, Dino, etc. that had a wall of monitors with the pictures on exit, if we didn't tap, we didn't get the pictures.

We go again in two weeks. So I'll see again. If I don't have to tap for all those rides, it would be great!!

But this has been my experience. Take it for what its worth. Believe me or don't. It is why I advise anyone who wants their pictures, if you see the wall of monitors with the pictures when you exit a ride... TAP just to be sure you get it, because if you don't tap, there is a real chance you wont get the picture.

As I mentioned, they were new bands, some were the brand new Epcot 35th bands we purchased on Sept 31 and used during our visit until October 7, and they worked to auto link the pix and video for 7D and ToT, and the picture for Pirates. I also had my Resort stay band, my Pandora band from May, and my MK 45th Tiki band (about a year old now), So the batteries were good. (while I order my free band with my Annual Pass, they usually just sit in the box at home.) We did have to tap for Everest. It was the same with our trip in June (also used the Pandora band which was only a month old, and my Tiki Room band). On 7D, ToT and Pirates they auto linked, there is no place to tap (i can't remember others off the top of my head). For any ride like Everest, Rock N Roller, Space Mountain, Dino, etc. that had a wall of monitors with the pictures on exit, if we didn't tap, we didn't get the pictures.

We go again in two weeks. So I'll see again. If I don't have to tap for all those rides, it would be great!!

But this has been my experience. Take it for what its worth. Believe me or don't. It is why I advise anyone who wants their pictures, if you see the wall of monitors with the pictures when you exit a ride... TAP just to be sure you get it, because if you don't tap, there is a real chance you wont get the picture.

I don't dispute your experience, but that hasn't been mine. Here is our Expedition Everest photo, no tapping was done, it just showed up as it was supposed to.

wd036wdw2014238113464285.jpeg

I don't dispute your experience, but that hasn't been mine. Here is our Expedition Everest photo, no tapping was done, it just showed up as it was supposed to.
Yup... I'm not doubting you. But that is the point of my posts... Its inconsistent. Your experience differs from mine for some reason (dead battery for long range RFID doesn't seem to be the issue in my case). Maybe it suppose to be working without tapping, but sometimes tapping seems to be necessary...

I mean, I'd hate to tell someone "no need to tap" and them miss out on photos that they would have got if they took the extra few steps and seconds to tap...

I mean, I'd hate to tell someone "no need to tap" and them miss out on photos that they would have got if they took the extra few steps and seconds to tap...
Your advice is great!

I'll add our experience. We rode Splash 3 consecutive times one evening thanks to 3 Anytime FPs. Out of the three rides, only 1 photo was ours, the others were of other logs.

The only reason why one was correct was because we tapped a MB at the monitor because it was a good, silly photo. After that experience, we’ve taken the time to tap and then move on because we like to at least view how our photo turned out rather than seeing photos that belong to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter