• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Everyone! Come see how handsome I am!" **FINISHED** 2/17

It was another rope drop morning for Day 5. We were headed into the Animal Kingdom just as they opened that morning.

It was pretty empty, which was great. I really love Disney early in the morning when it’s fresh and clean and clear. It’s quiet. It’s empty. Places are just opening up. Everyone’s only partly awake. There’s just something kinda magic about morning, especially a Disney morning.

Photo0814FourBySix.jpg

We stopped for a family photo.

We took the time this morning to stop and look at some of the animals on the way to the safari (where we were headed). We’d been there for a while and we were ready to take our time and soak in as much as possible.

20121210disney120083.jpg

There was a CM standing there telling folks stuff about the anteater. When he told us how many bugs he ate a day, Hanna said she wanted one as a pet. AK guy said oh no you don’t and told us about it’s giant monster claws. Hannah was quick to offer a solution of oven mitts! In the end she agreed it would be a bad idea. It was a chilly morning and the anteater didn’t really move at all, but he still looked pretty cool.

20121210disney120084.jpg

20121210disney120101.jpg

When we passed this sign in front of Pizzafari, there was no stopping D & H from heading in! I didn’t mind too much. I had heard this restaurant was visually interesting and I kind of wanted to look around.

20121210disney120085.jpg

Danny and Hannah went for the Bounty Platter. I went for the kid’s platter, and we all very much enjoyed it.

20121210disney120087.jpg

By the way, that picture of our breakfasts is one of my most popular Flickr photos. Some Disney food blog used it in a post about good qs breakfasts. I can’t remember where it was, but I felt pretty excited when I saw it. (How did I not bookmark it? Let me know if you know where it was, please.) Disney food pictures are generally my most popular on Flickr these days. Here’s a link in case you like looking at food. (fyi - I am hoping to make a dining report of this trip - if I can actually get this trip report finished before we leave for the next trip!)

I had read that you should look around that restaurant if you got a chance, so while the others were finishing up, I wandered around with my camera. It’s full of interesting.

20121210disney120090.jpg

20121210disney120091.jpg

20121210disney120092.jpg

20121210disney120093.jpg

20121210disney120094.jpg

20121210disney120095.jpg

20121210disney120096.jpg

20121210disney120098.jpg

So, remember when I was in Epcot and tried on the sparkly Minnie ears? Well I had kept thinking about how much I liked those ears and announced at breakfast that I was going to get some. We had been getting coupons on the bottom of our quick service receipts and I planned to use one. It was only good at a couple shops, so we headed for X and started looking around. I couldn’t find the ears so when the CM asked if I was looking for anything in particular, I told her. They were out, but she told me, but I could find them on a cart nearby. I explained about wanting to use the coupon and another CM who overheard us offered to go look in the back. Sure enough, she found some in an unopened box. Hooray for Disney CM, I had some sparkly Minnie ears.. I don’t remember her name, but we also mentioned her at Guest Relations as someone who went above and beyond.

We didn’t take a picture of me sporting them at this point, but don’t worry, there are plenty to come. But Hannah got a couple magic shots when we passed the PPP.

Photo0836FourBySix.jpg

Photo0844FourBySix.jpg

We left Pizzafari enjoying the walk to the Safari.

20121210disney120104.jpg

20121210disney120105.jpg

Next up: Way too many animal photos.

We headed to the Safari, where the CM at the entrance was the first of many who complimented me on my ears. The safari was like most safari rides, down to the part about me taking way too many pictures!

Are you ready?

20121210disney120106.jpg

An okapi:

20121210disney120107.jpg

Strange, hairless animals trapped on a cliff:

20121210disney120122.jpg

Birds and hippos:

20121210disney120127.jpg

20121210disney120130.jpg

20121210disney120135.jpg

20121210disney120136.jpg

A closer look at the unusual animals in their natural habitat:

20121210disney120137.jpg

Majestic:

20121210disney120149.jpg

Stealthy:

20121210disney120154.jpg

The giraffes were super frisky that morning. They were running about and chasing each other and kind of out of control. It was great.

20121210disney120161.jpg

This one darted right next to our seats. He was *thisclose*. I barely got a shot of it. Loved it.

20121210disney120163.jpg

20121210disney120168.jpg

20121210disney120173.jpg

Wildebeests. This is where I shocked Hannah by saying “There’s a stampede in the gorge!” She didn’t think it was funny. “How could you!?” is what she said.

20121210disney120185.jpg

20121210disney120188.jpg

More crazy giraffe action.

20121210disney120191.jpg

And then the poor lonely boy elephant. I call him Stampy. (That was a Simpsons reference.I hope you got it. It would probably be funnier if I hadn’t pointed that out.)

20121210disney120211.jpg

I see a baby!

20121210disney120216.jpg

20121210disney120218.jpg

Photo limit! More in the next post.

So many updates! lovely!
Haha... Mr. Mango on my shoulder!!! That is so funny, that is the part I remember the most!

I didn't know you could get breakfast at Pizzafari! And that is cool that your photo is famous! I will go and check out your other food photos too!
Pizzafari is very colorful and fun and very photogenic.

Those hairless animals from the safari are quite odd. I wonder why they group together like that. It must be a safety instinct. Herd mentality.

Stampy! I remember him. Do you remember the episode when they go to Epcot? I enjoy that episode. Homer said that Epcot is even boring to fly over when they are in the plane headed back to Springfield. Epcot is my favorite park but I still thought that was funny.

Wow, the giraffes were very frisky! Nice!

Great update! :)

Thank you!

Hurray for frisky giraffes. :)

Great update!!! :cool1:

They were crazy! And it was awesome. Before that day I'd only seen giraffes run on teevee. And they looked like they were having so much fun! That was the best part.

So many updates! lovely!
Haha... Mr. Mango on my shoulder!!! That is so funny, that is the part I remember the most!

Thank you! I had no idea if anyone would even remember that part - it's kind of a throw away line - but it's my favorite. I don't know why but it seemed so hilarious at the time. Still does, even.

I didn't know you could get breakfast at Pizzafari! And that is cool that your photo is famous! I will go and check out your other food photos too!
Pizzafari is very colorful and fun and very photogenic.

Me either, but it was really yummy. It helped, I'm sure, that we were the first customers of the morning, but it was really, really good. And the great look of the place didn't hurt at all. It definitely feels like Disney (and the Animal Kingdom) in there!

Those hairless animals from the safari are quite odd. I wonder why they group together like that. It must be a safety instinct. Herd mentality.

Yeah, they were weird. And our guide didn't even mention them, so I have no idea what they were or why they stuck together so closely. Herd mentality is probably right.

Stampy! I remember him. Do you remember the episode when they go to Epcot? I enjoy that episode. Homer said that Epcot is even boring to fly over when they are in the plane headed back to Springfield. Epcot is my favorite park but I still thought that was funny.

Mr Mango and Stampy? You obviously have great taste in entertainment! Definitely remember that episode! While I love Epcot myself - I love all of Disney - I totally understand why people find it boring (why people find AK boring is what I don't understand) and found that super funny, as are most olden days Simpsons.

Thanks guys! So glad you're enjoying it. I'm off to spend the weekend with my family so there probably won't be any updates until Monday, but I'm still determined to plug away at this until I've told you all about our last trip.

One of the people I'll see this week is my baby niece Mady. She's almost 3 and she loves Disney. One night several months ago I was looking at Disney pictures on Instagram with her, and we were talking about different characters and what they might be like when you meet them. She sighed and said "I've gotta go there someday." !!! She is so right, and so brilliant. :love: We're planning a big family trip for 2015 when she'll be 5. I hope it works out - she's gotta go there, and I've got to be there when it happens.

Have a wonderful time with your family!!! Sounds like a great plan to have a big family trip in 2015 and to be there when your niece sees it for the first time.

We always go in a big group. 12 of us this next trip my Dad being the oldest at 66 and my nephew the youngest at 19 months (he will be 23 months when we go). Technically this is his first trip to Disney, but he was with us in 2011 we just didn't know that my sister was pregnant at the time. Surprise!! :)

Just wanted to say hi. Are you, your husband, and daughter going on another trip together this year? Is your husband's company paying for it again? I was just telling my husband that the company he works for should do the same thing :)

Have a wonderful time with your family!!! Sounds like a great plan to have a big family trip in 2015 and to be there when your niece sees it for the first time.

Thanks! I did have a good time. I think my favorite quote from this trip came from baby niece #1. She had handed me a Snow White septre and asked me if I'd be the princess. Well - yeah! :woohoo: A little later she said "Thank you for being the princess for me, Shelly." princess: Anytime baby girl!!

We always go in a big group. 12 of us this next trip my Dad being the oldest at 66 and my nephew the youngest at 19 months (he will be 23 months when we go). Technically this is his first trip to Disney, but he was with us in 2011 we just didn't know that my sister was pregnant at the time. Surprise!! :)

Fantastic. I might be seeking your tips when we're getting ready! I'll be the oldest on that trip :eek: (I'll be 49) And baby niece #2 will be the youngest at 4 (unless the family grows any by then). If it all goes as planned there will be ten of us. I really hope it works out - I'm so excited for that trip!

Just wanted to say hi. Are you, your husband, and daughter going on another trip together this year? Is your husband's company paying for it again? I was just telling my husband that the company he works for should do the same thing :)

Hello! :yay: We are going again this year, but not with his company. I don't even remember where they're going this year because it's so boring! I have no idea why they didn't choose to go back to Disney this year, but am hoping they'll give it another go sometime. We'll take them up on it for sure!

The three of us are leaving Nov 29, then Danny and Hannah will be coming home on Dec 9th. After that, I'll be joining my brother and his girlfriend on their trip and won't come home until the 14th. That's 16 days for me - :cheer2: - needless to say I'm unbelievably excited.

And - not that it really matters, but just to be clear about the situation - Danny and aren't together anymore. We split up about 17 years ago, but have just always been committed to both being there for Hannah and giving her a sense of family. I can totally see how you'd miss that fact but if you've ever split up with someone, you probably know why I wanted to point that out. ;)::yes::

Even more Safari pictures. I can never seem to help myself!

More of my beloved elephants - especially because there’s a baby!

20121210disney120222.jpg

20121210disney120225.jpg

20121210disney120227.jpg

There was also a baby rhino! Why are baby animals so cute?

20121210disney120232.jpg

20121210disney120235.jpg

The cheetah was up, and moving around. All the animals in the park were frisky this day, I’m telling you.

20121210disney120237.jpg

20121210disney120240.jpg

Except the lions. They were just lying about.

20121210disney120243.jpg

20121210disney120252.jpg

20121210disney120255.jpg

I really like the addition of the zebras. I’m not sure if they’re still on the safari, but they are awesome to look at.

20121210disney120258.jpg

20121210disney120264.jpg

That last one wasn’t the wild animals, it was me and Hannah! I told you you’d get a glimpse at my sparkly ears soon enough.

Ok! Now we’re done with that and can move on!

Up next: We’ve got a planet to watch!

As we left the Safari we were discussing timing. We had stopped at the information board on the way in to the park that morning, and a friendly CM had checked what the vets at Rafikis Planet Watch were doing that morning. They would be doing a check up on a baby bird and that seemed interesting. We figured wed have enough time to see that, look around and get back in time for Hannah to head out. She is a college student and we had planned the trip around her finals - except an online final we figured she could take at Disney World just as easily as at home. She wanted to do it in the middle of the day before we headed to Magic Kingdom for the evening.

So thats what we did!

Danny was a little confused at the train station. He wasnt sure where he should go on his scooter even though there was this clear sign.

20121210disney120289.jpg

H and a CM had a talk about how you have to believe in the Magic while we waited for our.

20121210disney120267.jpg

20121210disney120270.jpg

20121210disney120271.jpg

The best part of the train ride is the behind the scenes glimpses at the animals.

20121210disney120274.jpg

We headed into Conservation Station and looked around. People were starting to crowd around a vet station window so H and I joined them while Danny continued to check the place out. There was a seriously obnoxious lady who loudly pushed her way in front of the front of everyone and talked loudly to her kids as if they were the only people there. I try to ignore other people in public places like Disney and mind my own business, but I remember this so well because it made Hannah really crabby. And she sometimes still talks about it.

20121210disney120278.jpg

This little bird had fallen from a nest inside of one of the parks a while back. When the CMs found it, they sent it over to the AK vets to see if it could be saved. In the real world that bird would have died but here at the AK they fixed it right up! Today they were taking another look to make sure everything had healed well and it had. Hooray little bird. The coolest part was seeing the xrays of this tiny tiny birds wings - first broken and then all back together.

I really dig this part of the Animal Kingdom. I tend to be really anti-zoo in most circumstances, but man, I love the way they care for the animals and their environment here at Animal Kingdom. Not that Im surprised Disney would do it up right, but the AK seriously rocks. Its never been a half day park for me - its a favorite!

(The first time I saw the Animal Kingdom was on our trip in 2010 It was my favorite park. I would say it is now, but the truth is I cant even pick a favorite park anymore. They all have their unique charm - I love them all!)

Rafiki was out meeting guests, and his line was short so I jumped in. He didnt have a PPP so H was nice enough to take our picture.

20121210disney120279.jpg

After we left, Danny was wanting some caffeine, and since we were stopped and near the cart, Hannah and I figured it was the perfect time for a Mickey bar!

20121210disney120288.jpg

My opinion about Mickey bars? You can never have enough.

Then we were back on the train to the mainland.

20121210disney120291.jpg

Danny decided he was going to go back to the room with Hannah for a little rest while she took her test, so we said goodbye agreeing to meet back up at our spot in the MK at 4pm.

And then I was free and all alone in the Animal Kingdom!
Watch out Disney World, I am on the loose!

Next up: Unsupervised at Disney World

Wow! A 16 day trip to Disney. That is enough time to really become one with the parks. I would love to stay that long!

Cute Rafiki photo.

So there I was, alone and unsupervised at Disney World. This is the stuff dreams are made of, right? So what did I do? I headed straight to meet some characters. If theres no one around to remind me that real life exists, I am going to live in a magical world of make believe. You can bank on that.

I headed for Camp Minnie Mickey.

I love this spot and the lost forgotten plans for the magical beast part of the AK. I love that idea and still hold out a dream of a hope they might someday do it. Magical creatures? Yes please.

20121210disney120294.jpg

20121210disney120292.jpg

I waved hi to Daisy and the kids, ignored the Festival of the Lion King (am I the only one who doesnt love it?) and I was there.

20121210disney120296.jpg

First I got in line to visit with Baloo and King Louie. I am a long time Baloo fan. He was hilarious. He knows how to relax and have a good time, and thats what I like in a bear.

Photo0850FourBySix.jpg

On my first trip to Disney had a blast goofing around with him. It was my first really fun character meet. Here are a couple pictures from the first time we met.

ScannedImage23.jpg

ScannedImage19-1.jpg

I headed to Minnies line next, since she was closest. There was a little girl in front of me in line who was seriously decked out in some Minnie Mouse gear. Minnie was impressed. They were adorable.

Im sure Ive made it clear I love character meets, and one of the many reasons I dig them is watching little kids overflow with happy when they meet a character they love.

Next I was up, and excited to meet the Queen of all Mice, myself!

Photo0878FourBySix.jpg

Shes so charming.

20121210disney120301.jpg

After that I got in line to meet Pocahontas, even though she wasnt out at the time. The CMs were friendly and chatting with everyone and I noticed their pins.

Hannah and I had bought some pins to check out the whole pin trading experience, but to this point we had kind of forgotten them. There were some great pins of some of their lanyards and I really wished I had brought some of my traders. I scolded myself and made myself promise to take some the next time pins to trade the next day!

20121210disney120303.jpg

Anyway! Soon it was my turn to meet the princess, and man was she chatty! She asked about my village and what its like there. She asked if I thought she could get there in her boat, and how John Smiths boat was too big and couldnt get to a lot of places. She asked me about the weather there and when would be good to visit, and maybe if I wasnt too busy I could show her around.

Photo0909FourBySix.jpg

Ok, I have to tell you here that this conversation with Pocahontas was one of the few times it was hard for me to remember about the difference between Disney World and the real world. When she mentioned John Smith I had to remind myself not to mention that he was kind of a pervy old man and she was going to be exploited and miserable if she stayed with him. But I stayed in character (as an old lady fangirl).

I caught a glimpse of the boys fishing on my way out. I doubt they caught much that day. For some reason they dont seem like very skilled fishermen.

20121210disney120306.jpg

I snapped a few shots of a couple Christmas trees on the way. I want to take better ones on my next trip.

20121210disney120302.jpg

20121210disney120308.jpg

20121210disney120309.jpg

20121210disney120310.jpg

I found myself heading back into Africa. There was a frozen adult beverage I had seen that I really wanted to try. I thought it came from the drink place next to Tusker House but the bartender there told me I needed to head to a window around the corner from Yak & Yeti quick service. Ok then.

On the way, I came across a lady made out of branches!

20121210disney120312.jpg

20121210disney120317.jpg

20121210disney120325.jpg

20121210disney120332.jpg

Up next: Is it weird that I'm drinking alcohol while I wait to meet my childhood idols?

Yeah for the new update!!! :cool1:

I would totally be off looking to meet characters too if I had some free alone time. Considering that Animal Kingdom is really my favorite park it is amazing to meet that I have yet to visit the characters in Camp Minnie & Mickey and that I have never seen the statues of Daisy and the kids. :) Going to make sure that I remedy that this time when I go.

Looking forward to the next update. :)

Wow! A 16 day trip to Disney. That is enough time to really become one with the parks. I would love to stay that long!

Cute Rafiki photo.

I feel like the luckiest girl in the world about staying 16 days! Becoming one with the parks sounds like nirvana!

Thanks!

Yeah for the new update!!! :cool1:

I would totally be off looking to meet characters too if I had some free alone time. Considering that Animal Kingdom is really my favorite park it is amazing to meet that I have yet to visit the characters in Camp Minnie & Mickey and that I have never seen the statues of Daisy and the kids. :) Going to make sure that I remedy that this time when I go.

Looking forward to the next update. :)

That is crazy! I love the AK, but camp Minnie Mickey is one of the big reasons why (there are truly so many reasons!). Definitely check it out when you can. So. Much. Fun.

Hello readers!

Now, I know you're out there because I can see that you've looked here, but aside from a few super nice disboarders, none of you are saying anything! I've been around the internets enough to know that's how it goes. Lurker to poster ratio is just like that. But still, I want to encourage you quiet readers to say hey! Ask questions. Make comments. Whatever! Getting feedback isn't the main reason to write a report, at least for me, but it is a reason. :rotfl: I'd love to hear from you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter