Ever see anything totally shocking and unexpected on a cruise?

I'm not sure where this rumor about smaller theaters came from. I saw one "what if" comment on a thread and it seemed to snowball from there. Is there anything else to it?
I was on this Wonder cruise where Natalie (cruise director) said they were testing the duplicate shows for the 3 Broadway shows (Golden Mickeys, Frozen, Dreams) for the first time. She said it was because there wasn't enough capacity in the Walt Disney Theatre for everyone to see the performance with just 2 shows. They had matinee performances of 2 of the featured entertainers, and evening shows in Azure for some of them (with video broadcasting the show in the pub for overflow). I wrote her a letter about it during the cruise and talked to her about it on day 2. I didn't get a chance to talk to her later in the cruise to let her know what I thought after actually trying it out so wrote her another letter and left it in the comments box.

I hated it because:
  • I missed being in the large Walt Disney Theatre each evening which is one of my favorite parts of cruising, and I normally never miss a show.
  • I was unable to see some of the entertainers at their matinee showing because it conflicted with other items I wanted to do. When entertainers are in the evening as usual in WDT, I never had a conflict.
  • Azure doesn't have capacity for everyone to see the entertainers and broadcasting in the pub instead of seeing live is really just unacceptable at Disney's prices.
  • This schedule required looking ahead at the Navigator app to plan which show to attend to minimize missing things I really wanted to see/do, much like planning required for a Disney parks trip. Normally, Disney cruising is a welcome break from that level of planning!
  • Second night of Frozen and Dreams was sparsely attended and didn't have usual audience responses & involvement, and I think the performers may have felt that and weren't at their top performance.
I'm very interested to see if this is something that was continued on the Feb. 25 cruise and hope that someone from that will report back here.
I’m thinking this might have tied some of the thought process together because Natalie might be seen as a credible source for theater changes. Although this seems a little bit off topic in this thread.

I’m thinking this might have tied some of the thought process together because Natalie might be seen as a credible source for theater changes. Although this seems a little bit off topic in this thread.
Yeah, discussion about the reason behind this possibly being smaller theatres in the new ships did veer off topic a bit. But because it was shocking and unexpected to me that they did this with 2 nights of duplicate shows was directly on topic for this thread! Hopefully now others might have awareness that this is a possibility and will know to look for it right away when boarding and adjust their plans accordingly.

Yeah, discussion about the reason behind this possibly being smaller theatres in the new ships did veer off topic a bit. But because it was shocking and unexpected to me that they did this with 2 nights of duplicate shows was directly on topic for this thread! Hopefully now others might have awareness that this is a possibility and will know to look for it right away when boarding and adjust their plans accordingly.
I see your point when you put it that way. And I agree.
But I still want to hear about other people doing????? Things.

I quoted you so that Melspees could see where the fact’s came from. She seemed curious and I consider a Cruise director to be a pretty reliable source.

I was responding on another thread and I remembered something a little shocking. (Finally, I have something to contribute to one of my favorite threads) Anyway, we were on a Med cruise in 2013. My DD, 13 at the time, and I were in Barcelona the morning of embarkation. We went down to the beach to be able to say that we had been in the Mediterranean and at least walk in the water. She found a snail shell that we thought was empty. I put it back in the water, or so I thought. Found it by the smell when we returned home. It was not empty. That was not the unexpected part. As we were walking, I looked over my daughter's shoulder to see a man changing into his bathing suit on the beach. He was taking his time and appeared to be rather nonplussed by all of the people around him. Granted, he was semi-in shape and had nothing to not be proud of showing off. I REALLY didn't need to explain to my daughter about people of different shapes and sizes. We had explained the possibility of nudity on the beaches and she stated that it wouldn't bother her - and it didn't. I just was not ready for it when it happened. And, well, yeah, uh, umm, size might have needed some explanation of this isn't McDonald's and not everyone is supersized. Uhhggg . . . that was not normal. Luckily, the snail shell and my ongoing banter kept her attention from turning around just long enough. (yeah, bad pun)

I was responding on another thread and I remembered something a little shocking. (Finally, I have something to contribute to one of my favorite threads) Anyway, we were on a Med cruise in 2013. My DD, 13 at the time, and I were in Barcelona the morning of embarkation. We went down to the beach to be able to say that we had been in the Mediterranean and at least walk in the water. She found a snail shell that we thought was empty. I put it back in the water, or so I thought. Found it by the smell when we returned home. It was not empty. That was not the unexpected part. As we were walking, I looked over my daughter's shoulder to see a man changing into his bathing suit on the beach. He was taking his time and appeared to be rather nonplussed by all of the people around him. Granted, he was semi-in shape and had nothing to not be proud of showing off. I REALLY didn't need to explain to my daughter about people of different shapes and sizes. We had explained the possibility of nudity on the beaches and she stated that it wouldn't bother her - and it didn't. I just was not ready for it when it happened. And, well, yeah, uh, umm, size might have needed some explanation of this isn't McDonald's and not everyone is supersized. Uhhggg . . . that was not normal. Luckily, the snail shell and my ongoing banter kept her attention from turning around just long enough. (yeah, bad pun)

UGH -- do you mean you found it in a piece of clothing when you got home? That would be a big surprise.

Found the remains of the snail in my side pouch where I carried my camera. Nasty surprise. I'm surprised that it didn't smell earlier. Took several times through the washer to get the smell out.

Ah, so it was a snail. On a holiday in France, my mom put the shells in her pocket and later put them on the table outside our tent. After a while, they walked away... Turned out there were hermit crabs inside...
:rotfl2:

I can say we experienced something shocking on our last cruise on the Dream back in Jan. It was an overcast chilly day and we were up on the pool deck walking towards cabanas. Lots of parents sitting/walking around with sweatshirts/wrapped in towels/etc trying to stay warm while the kids were enjoying the pool. Even though it was chilly it was super chaotic and busy which made a slow walk from one side of the ship to the other. A woman walking in front of us had a sweatshirt on.... and zero bottoms. The sweatshirt didn't cover her bottom. Her rear end was in full view and 100% bare. No thong, no strings, nothing. It certainly did not go unnoticed by others.... lots of kids giggling and stares from adults but no one said anything. She went over and sat pool side with the rest of her family who didn't bat an eye and the lifeguard didn't seem to notice or care.

Which makes me wonder - is there some type of dress code for the pool? It really cannot be sanitary for someone to be sitting in the pool chairs like that....

I can say we experienced something shocking on our last cruise on the Dream back in Jan. It was an overcast chilly day and we were up on the pool deck walking towards cabanas. Lots of parents sitting/walking around with sweatshirts/wrapped in towels/etc trying to stay warm while the kids were enjoying the pool. Even though it was chilly it was super chaotic and busy which made a slow walk from one side of the ship to the other. A woman walking in front of us had a sweatshirt on.... and zero bottoms. The sweatshirt didn't cover her bottom. Her rear end was in full view and 100% bare. No thong, no strings, nothing. It certainly did not go unnoticed by others.... lots of kids giggling and stares from adults but no one said anything. She went over and sat pool side with the rest of her family who didn't bat an eye and the lifeguard didn't seem to notice or care.

Which makes me wonder - is there some type of dress code for the pool? It really cannot be sanitary for someone to be sitting in the pool chairs like that....
Wow! I think I would have said something to a CM. A bare bottom is never acceptable. (Well, on a nude beach it is.)

This is not cruise related, but your story reminds me of being similarly grossed out on my first trip to Europe. We stayed in hostels where it was bring your own sheets. I was appalled to see another person sleeping nude on the bare hostel mattress with her bath towel tossed over her. It wasn't the nudity that was shocking. It was the fact that anyone would put their bare bottom on a dirty hostel mattress.

There was the man who took the microphone away from the cast member running bingo and did karaoke with the background music. He was a repeat bingo player later during the cruise and took some gentle ribbing. No harm done.

There was the man who took the microphone away from the cast member running bingo and did karaoke with the background music. He was a repeat bingo player later during the cruise and took some gentle ribbing. No harm done.
So was he any good?

This is not cruise related, but your story reminds me of being similarly grossed out on my first trip to Europe. We stayed in hostels where it was bring your own sheets. I was appalled to see another person sleeping nude on the bare hostel mattress with her bath towel tossed over her. It wasn't the nudity that was shocking. It was the fact that anyone would put their bare bottom on a dirty hostel mattress.
Gross. I don't mind women going topless, but butts aren't clean, and I don't want to sit anywhere where a bare butt has been sitting.

Pictures? Asking for a friend. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter