Ever have a book freak you out?

J'aime Paris

Living happily ever after
I read Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris while on vacation this past week.
For some strange reason, this book has been invading my sleep and giving me bad dreams!
I've never had this happen before, and it's a bit unnerving....

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Not in the way you mean.

But Atonement absolutely did me in.

I wasn't even super into it, while reading. Simply because I didn't take to Ian MacEwan's writing style. I am emotional just writing this post, and I read it many years ago. I remember turning the page and doubling over.

It took me quite a bit to shake it off, emotionally.

-------

I don't know whether to put Behind Closed Doors on library request. Crapshoot. You and have me both curious and scared. :laughing: Equal parts.

I am going to go check how many requests are in for it.

I have Behind Closed Doors on my reading list, I haven't read it yet because I'm not sure I want to :scared:

I've never had a book give me bad dreams. There have been books I've had to quit reading because the subject matter is so awful, usually something to do with harming or murdering a child.

I don't know whether to put Behind Closed Doors on library request. Crapshoot. You and have me both curious and scared. :laughing: Equal parts.

Well we have 51 copies! And that doesn't count audio and large print.

Not in the way you mean.

But Atonement absolutely did me in.

I wasn't even super into it, while reading. Simply because I didn't take to Ian MacEwan's writing style. I am emotional just writing this post, and I read it many years ago. I remember turning the page and doubling over.

It took me quite a bit to shake it off, emotionally.

-------

Now I will have to search Atonement.
Curiosity is a strong emotion/behavior...

518jVsmQ+jL._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
The illustrations in this original version (the later reprint had toned down pictures) were especially chilling.

I read Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris while on vacation this past week.
For some strange reason, this book has been invading my sleep and giving me bad dreams!
I've never had this happen before, and it's a bit unnerving....

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

This post alone led me to borrow a copy from the public library on my Kindle just now! I love thrillers, and after reading the back cover synopsis, I already know I'm going to love it. I'm sorry you're getting bad dreams, but I'm glad you shared your post because this type of book is right up my alley. Hopefully they will end soon!

The fictional book that influenced me the most markedly has always been my favorite, "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde.

The Exorcist, because demonic possession is real. I wish I had never read it and to this day I refuse to read any scary books.
This was the most terrifying book I ever read when I was around 16.... nope, never again.

518jVsmQ+jL._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
The illustrations in this original version (the later reprint had toned down pictures) were especially chilling.

This times infinity. I read this series in third grade and for years-- even through high school and some of college -- I had to sleep with either a pillow or stuffed animal up against my back after the story with the 'something' slipping into bed behind the character in the story. It was this version with all the super freaky illustrations as well.

Pet Cemetary - the movie was nothing compared to the book. I almost stopped reading it bc it freaked me out. Maybe bc I'm an animal lover and foster sweet, unwanted ones?

The Exorcist - book and movie. Just no to demonic possession.

The Lovely Bones - I still think about how much it would suck to look down after being murdered/raped and have to watch everything unfold. That would not be my definition of heaven.

My Sister's Keeper - I really empathized with all the characters and could not come to a conclusion about what I'd do in that situation in all of their places. Thought about it a lot and it kept me up at night.

This post alone led me to borrow a copy from the public library on my Kindle just now! I love thrillers, and after reading the back cover synopsis, I already know I'm going to love it. I'm sorry you're getting bad dreams, but I'm glad you shared your post because this type of book is right up my alley. Hopefully they will end soon!

I just reserved a copy at my library, too, because of this thread lol

I read a super chilling book once but I can't remember what it was called, who wrote it, or what it was about. I just remember one passage that was so scary that I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue reading it. I'm used to scary things, I devour Stephen King.

eta- I might not get through Behind Closed Doors if too many bad things happen to the character named Grace...that's my daughter's name.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter