Ever Been To A Theme Park On A Cold Day? What Was It Like?

This has certainly been an eye opening thread! We usually go when it's blazing hot, but next year my inlaws are coming with us for their very first visit. They don't tolerate heat well, so we were considering the end of January-first of February.

I stupidly thought days could be jeans and tshirts with evening needing only a sweatshirt or light jacket. Now that I'm reading about 40 degree highs, fleece hats and gloves.... I'm beginning to rethink this.

I went over Thanksgiving a few years ago, and really enjoyed the cooler temperatures! I usually go in the summer. The daytime highs were about 70. The heat always zaps my energy level, and I was able to do more each day! By evening I needed a jacket. The one evening I was at Fantasmic and it was cold and windy. That was the only night I needed my gloves and hat.

I'll be going the first week of December as well and I'm a bit unsure of how to plan to dress at the parks. We're from the northeast so our definition of cold won't be what Floridians think is cold. I'm sure during the day i'll want to wear shorts but at night I may want to put a sweatshirt on. I'd hate to carry around my sweatshirt all day though. Is it expensive to rent lockers or something?

In Francefrom November to February it can be really cold in Disneyland Paris sometimes with snow. And touring is not that hard or complicated. Just dress appropriately, mix indoor and outdoor rides to warm up. The worst part is if you have to / decide to wait for the fireworks or parade and stand still for an hour or so to assure yourself a good spot. But then the most important thing is to take with you some entertainment and get some coffee and hot chocolate to pass time.

I'll be going the first week of December as well and I'm a bit unsure of how to plan to dress at the parks. We're from the northeast so our definition of cold won't be what Floridians think is cold. I'm sure during the day i'll want to wear shorts but at night I may want to put a sweatshirt on. I'd hate to carry around my sweatshirt all day though. Is it expensive to rent lockers or something?

Don't be too sure about the shorts. Check the weather right before you go and pack accordingly. I live in Michigan, and I've been to WDW in December twice. Didn't wear shorts either time. Capris, yes. But jeans and hoodies also yes.

It's fine during the day (generally), but at night dress warm.

The first two times I went to Disney as an adult (2010 and 2012) we were down there at Christmas and New Years. I'm from Canada. So I didn't think I would be cold.

Spoiler: I was cold!

Apparently it has been better lately, but nighttime was especially chilly. We didn't bring gloves, so we had to buy some. Obviously we had winter jackets, since we STARTED our trip at home in Montreal, but I was surprised just how cold it got. I remember being in the audience of Fantasmic and it was COLD.

Now, on the flip side I had a colleague that went down a year or two later at the same time and it was much warmer for them. Shorts and everything at night. So it depends on the year, but I would not leave home without some decent gloves for nighttime and a scarf.

Didn't need a tuque though.

I'm from South Florida so the parks can be very cold for me. I remember going to MK when it was in the 30s and freezing. It was miserable at night - okay during the day though. But at night? No way!

I also broke my foot in January of 2016 and was in a wheelchair. It was FREEZING out and I couldn't walk so I just felt chilled to the bone despite being bundle up in blankets, gloves, a coat, and a hat. UGH.

We went once in March was cooler in the AM
We wore shorts with a t-shirt and then a sweat-shirt, sneakers and socks on out feet.
Our temps at home were in the 20's and 30's - 50 degree feels warm ;)

We come from an English winter every December, but in 2010 it was just as cold in Orlando as in England. We still enjoyed the holiday but we couldn't go to the water parks or enjoy the resort pool. We went on Splash Mountain but gave Kali River Rapids a wide berth! Every other year there are more warm/hot days than cold days during our 16 night annual Christmas trip.

You wouldn't have been so smug about being tough and wearing shorts in Dec. '10!!!! I would have 'loved' seeing you like that and 'relaxing'!! LOL :goodvibes Y'all think we're such wimps down south!! :)

Every year is so different!!

We were at WDW last week of November through the first week of December in 2016. Orlando was having high temps that week. On our next to last day, the temperatures were 85 with high humidity. On our last day, it finally got into the 60s for a high.

Love this video of winter at Disneyland Paris. The whole river is frozen solid and the steamship is basically encased in an ice lake.

And here's a family's video log of a trip in the winter. So much fun!

This has certainly been an eye opening thread! We usually go when it's blazing hot, but next year my inlaws are coming with us for their very first visit. They don't tolerate heat well, so we were considering the end of January-first of February.

I stupidly thought days could be jeans and tshirts with evening needing only a sweatshirt or light jacket. Now that I'm reading about 40 degree highs, fleece hats and gloves.... I'm beginning to rethink this.

Its not cold all the time,more likely than not its going to have very comfortable temps like highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s,its only when a front comes through and brings the temperatures down.For example I'm thinking of marathon weekend this year,Friday had a high of near 80 with a low in the lower 50s.Then a front moved in overnight bringing storms and cancelled the half marathon Saturday morning,after they went through it was uglyish most of Saturday with a high of 73 and a low of 43 at night as the last of the front went through.As the night passed it just got colder and colder,when I went out at 3am to head to the race it was nearing 30 degrees with a serious wind making it feel like 20 degrees,coldest race I've ever run but once the sun went up it was sunny and beautiful with the high around 55.Tuesday had a high in the 60s and lows in the 40s,by Wednesday and Thursday it was mid to upper 70s with normal lows in the 50s.My point is that even if you do happen to get a cold front come through the cold will come and go usually in a day or two but most days around them will be comfortable enough to be at the parks,especially during the day.

I'll be there first week of December and, maybe, for the first time in my life, might experience a "cold" day at a WDW theme park. Now, my definition of "cold" is probably different from yours (I don't generally break out my jacket until it gets below about 30), but, using whatever definition of "cold" you prefer, what's it like being at a theme park on a cold day? Was it brutal? Or were you still able to have a good time?

I only go in fall/winter because I don't like the heat. Being in a theme park on a cold day is great for me. You can walk around comfortably and not work up a sweat. Also If a park happens to be a little crowded on that day, it's easier to handle. I too am going the first week of December and the temperature can be in the 70s but just as easily be in the 30s. When the weather is warm it's not an unbearable heat like in the summer. I pack shorts, t-shirts, and capris but also pack long pants and bring a jacket. We check the weather before heading out for the day and take what we need. We usually rent a locker for the warmer clothing if we won't need it until the evening. Have fun and enjoy your trip.

Patricia

I wouldn't worry about the cold too much. If your in-laws don't like the heat, then January/February would be a great time to go. Just pack accordingly. And don't let talk of fleece hats and gloves worry you. I would recommend bringing those from home if you think you will need them. If the temperature does drop low enough to need a hat and/or gloves, you may not want to pay a fortune for them in the parks. Just a thought. Enjoy your trip.

Patricia

We went for NYE in 2011. One day it was 80 and we were in tanks and shorts and went to the pool. The next day I had to purchase a fleece and gloves to wear over my sweatshirt because it was 40 degrees.

About 12 years ago I did my CP semester and was there from Jan-June. That year, January was warm and I could wear my costume shorts most days. Evening shifts I wore pants. Didn't need a heavy coat, just light most evenings.

The weather really can be all over the place so we pack for every weather when we go at that time of year.

Yes, the wind was awful one time when we were at Epcot. Chilly, and a hoodie was not enough - should have brought a coat! It got even colder after the sun went down. I'd estimate it was maybe in the low 40s. We were there in November though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter