European Adaptors

jillrobinson

DIS Veteran
Is there more than one type of european plug ?

I bought an adaptor - 2 pinned, which listed france as one of the countries you could use it in on the packaging for our last visit to the Santa Fe, but it wouldn't fit :confused3 I want to make sure I've definately got the right one this time.
Thanks in advance.

Jill one type is available. I've noticed with ours that the circular disc has to be rotated the right way so there is a "female" hole for the pin in the socket to go into.

Thank you Reid, possibly that was the problem then, I can't find it anywhere to check - probably threw it in the bin in frustration. I shall go and get some more and with your info. I should have better luck next time. :thumbsup2

We bought one from Argos for our summer trip and it wouldn't work in the bedroom. It would only work in the bathroom :eek: :eek: :eek: So before we went again we went to an electrical shop and bought another one for half the price of the first one :confused3 and this one worked perfectly! :)

in the santa fe last year one of ours wouldn't work... it turned out you had to "lock" the adaptor in place so the "male" (chuckle) parts stayed, erm, out.... lol

buti had another from boots and that was fine...

Hopefully this will work this time.
Becks I was trying to find a way to describe the same as you on a family friendly board :rotfl2:

My adaptors arrived this morning and DH found the old one and guess what - these 2 have a hole where the other one doesn't. Hoping that's what the problem was. :thumbsup2

I've been reading not only about adapter plugs, but also about transformers, which what I've read indicates are needed if you're going to be plugged in for a matter of hours. Has anyone used one of these? Anyone charged camera batteries or an iPod or anything? I'm just curious if the transformers are really necessary, as I plan to charge an iPod and possibly camera batteries overnight.

My camera has a transformer already incorporated into its plug which I then just fit into the adapter.

Oh boy - things just get more complicated don't they?
I've just bought a travel kettle which is universal voltage so that'll be OK ?
but I'm confused now, for charging phone/camera camcorders etc - do I need something else ? I've just checked and they all have adaptors built into the cable itself - is this sufficient ? :confused3

Tell me about it, Jill! :) I just used to plug our camera into the adaptor. It has a transformer built into its own plug. As for my mobile, I did not need to charge it as I stuck it in the safe and forgot all about it for a few days:rotfl: but its plug is like the camera's, it has a transformer built in so if I had charged it I would have just stuck its plug in the adaptor. Does this all make sense? ;)

I did just read some more enlightening information, that matches what you've just said Ware Bears. If your applicance has a built-in voltage switch that allows you to choose which voltage you're using, you only need the adaptor plug, so your plug ends will fit into the socket. If your appliance does not have the built-in ability to switch voltages, then you need both the adaptor and the transformer. I know my travel blowdryer will be okay with just the plug adaptor. Now, I need to research the iPod (don't have it in hand yet) and the camera battery charger. I think I finally understand!!

I shall try with my phone first (as it's the most out of date) and if it goes bang, we'll Know not to do the others. :teeth:

Have to say we just plug everything in with travel adaptor - mobile phone, camera, hairdryer and never had any bother, nor given it a second thought :) Maybe we have just been lucky :goodvibes

Cyrano said:
Have to say we just plug everything in with travel adaptor - mobile phone, camera, hairdryer and never had any bother, nor given it a second thought :) Maybe we have just been lucky :goodvibes

Same here! Camera, phones, hairdryer, curling tongs (DW would take her whole dressing table if she could :rotfl2: ) and travel water heater. No problem with voltage as DLRP is 220V anyway! So all you have to do is just plug whatever you use in the UK (or whichever other Country you're from) into the adaptor and Hey Presto!!!! :woohoo:

Jill, the 2 prong adaptor you had originally was the old style. The new ones have slightly thicker prongs and also the hole (which is the earth)

Hope this clears it up for everyone!

Steve

Salford Steve said:
Hope this clears it up for everyone!

Steve
Thanks Steve! :goodvibes

Well guys, if we hear massive bangs coming from over the channel it may not be some unexpectedly early St Patricks day fireworks but Jill's mobile! :lmao: :lmao:

I realize that this is an old thread, but I am going to try and clear some things up

• re voltage - most of Europe and the rest of the world except for North America uses 220 volts, so no voltage converter is required for appliances from those countries in France
  • some appliances such as hairdryers purchased in America are dual voltage and can be switched to 220volts for travel
  • laptops and other electronics normally do not require a voltage converter to be used in other countries - check the power source/lead and you will see a marking showing the range of volts
  • sockets DO vary around the world. Most of continental Europe uses a round two pin system; in North America it is a flat two pin system; and the rest of the world varies with a range of two or three pins. you WILL need a simple $2 or 2euro plug adapter; buy these before you leave home at a travel store or electronics store, or even your local dollar store. Don't rely on the hotel having one available to you. Bring several so that you can plug in a variety of items
  • many higher end hotels in Europe and Asia have at least one 'courtesy' outlet which usually takes a two pin flat prong North American plug in European hotels (but still requires a voltage converter!) or a two pin European round plug in Asia. Don't rely on this though; still bring the items listed above to be safe
  • you can also buy a rather bulky 'all around the world' type adapter which has about 10 types in one; I don't like these as they are heavy and still only allow one to plug in one appliance. I just keep an assortment on hand for my international travel and replenish as required - this is usually cheaper anyways than buying the heavy, more expensive 'all in one'. And most people don't travel to as many places as I do, so will never need all those adapters!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter