ESPN in awkward position of clinging to the past

I don't care about any of that. They have hockey back that's all that matters.

I'd be ok with that except the announcers seem to always have to make some political or social issue comments during the game. If they would just tell me what Auston Matthews or Sidney Crosby are doing on the ice or stick to giving me an account of the latest fistfight on the ice that's taking place I'd be good. LOL

ESPN was the biggest drive for me to get away from Dish/DirecTV. The price they put on the value of ESPN is out of line with my viewing habits. The viewership decline of the NFL, NBA and other sports was a shot across the bow to ESPN and those leagues. Without going politcal, outside influences impacted ESPN in a big way - part of why they canned so many of their talking heads. But the article points out the two sides of the blade that ESPN is facing. The reality is the non-streaming services have depended on EPSN to bring viewers, but with people leaving sports it's starting to burst the bubble. While I might agree that Disney can prevail, I can also see ESPN taking the ship down with their over priced contracts to various leagues. Timing will have to be handled carefully to avoid the numerous pitfalls ahead of them.
Scott Van Pelt a the headline guy is indicative of the major decline at ESPN.

He's like a C level guy and he's their A lister.

For those that which ESPN would move away from commentary my question is what would you like them to show at 2 pm on a Tuesday afternoon?

This article is mostly suppositional. And it's assuming that the streaming industry will stay as it is now - with a whole bunch of different, separate streaming services. Multiple analysts think that the current model is not sustainable long-term - and if there actually is some kind of streaming "merger", then it will probably look somewhat similar to what cable is today, and ESPN would fit in fine.

This article is just more "The sky is falling" rhetoric that the media loves to produce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter