Eleventh Circuit panel stays lower court’s decision to block CDC cruise-ship regulations

Read the article and you have to be a lawyer to understand all of the legal mumbo jumbo. Can someone post in simple terms exactly what this all means?

Read the article and you have to be a lawyer to understand all of the legal mumbo jumbo. Can someone post in simple terms exactly what this all means?
Effective immediately, cruise lines don't have to follow the guidelines in the CDC's Conditional Sailing Order, which otherwise would have expired on November 1st. This means they no longer have to run test cruises, and that they can make their own rules in regards to passenger testing and onboard precautions, rather than follow strict CDC guidelines. It will allow for a lot more flexibility. The guidelines work better for some lines than for others, so some lines will stick with the guidelines for longer than other lines will. They all want to start fairly cautiously, but the point is that now the cruise lines have a choice. As they start having successful sailings and cruising becomes normalized again, the lines will begin moving away from CDC guidelines (which are now mere recommendations instead of requirements) at their own desired pace.

The cruise industry isn't a monolith. Different lines have different ways they want to do things. What works for NCL does not work for Disney because of Disney's clientele, for example.
What parts of the current CDC rules would you expect Disney to diverge from? The only one I could really see is the requirement to do test cruises, but if choosing not to do test cruises means that passengers will have to mask up while on the pool deck, I don't see it happening.

What parts of the current CDC rules would you expect Disney to diverge from? The only one I could really see is the requirement to do test cruises, but if choosing not to do test cruises means that passengers will have to mask up while on the pool deck, I don't see it happening.
I personally don't see Disney diverging from any of the CSO. They're even voluntarily doing extra test cruises on the Dream, not for CDC reasons but to get the kinks out and as a reward to their cast members. I don't see them all of a sudden canceling the test cruise they already have scheduled for the Fantasy. At a minimum they would want to get that crew operating like a well-oiled machine just like they are doing on the Dream, and if they are already going to run a test sailing for their own personal reasons they might as well make it an official CDC test cruise.

The other thing we have to remember is as of right now, no lawsuit has been won or lost. These are all preliminary injunctions. Cruise companies are naturally risk averse I see them treading very carefully and adhering almost exactly if not 100% to the CSO at a bare minimum until it would have naturally expired on November 1st.

Impossible to provide conjecture on what would happen after that point, regardless of whether the lawsuits had injunctions or not.

Effective immediately, cruise lines don't have to follow the guidelines in the CDC's Conditional Sailing Order, which otherwise would have expired on November 1st. This means they no longer have to run test cruises, and that they can make their own rules in regards to passenger testing and onboard precautions, rather than follow strict CDC guidelines. It will allow for a lot more flexibility. The guidelines work better for some lines than for others, so some lines will stick with the guidelines for longer than other lines will. They all want to start fairly cautiously, but the point is that now the cruise lines have a choice. As they start having successful sailings and cruising becomes normalized again, the lines will begin moving away from CDC guidelines (which are now mere recommendations instead of requirements) at their own desired pace.

That ruling (if it stands) only applies to states under the jurisdiction of the 11th Circuit, which includes Florida (and Alabama and Georgia) but not Texas, New Jersey, New Orleans, Maryland, California, Washington, California, or other states from which cruises originate. Corporations very much prefer reliable and global rulings, and will err on the side of CDC guidance in the meantime.

That ruling (if it stands) only applies to states under the jurisdiction of the 11th Circuit, which includes Florida (and Alabama and Georgia) but not Texas, New Jersey, New Orleans, Maryland, California, Washington, California, or other states from which cruises originate. Corporations very much prefer reliable and global rulings, and will err on the side of CDC guidance in the meantime.
Yes, we're only talking about Florida. Your statement about how corporations respond to rulings is a complete generalization and nothing to base a prediction on.

Yes, we're only talking about Florida. Your statement about how corporations respond to rulings is a complete generalization and nothing to base a prediction on.

I can assure you it's based on more than the wishful thinking your posts seem to be based upon, particularly as it applies to Disney Cruise Lines, but I'll leave you to continue your layman's misinterpretations if it makes you feel better. It really doesn't matter to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!