elementary school homework

We had the homework problem in school, but unfortunately is was no homework in middle school at all! She had more homework in 1st grade. The rule I always went by (when I taught) was 10 min per grade level. My last year I gave math everynight and some reading. I aimed for mastery in class so there was no need for excessive homework at night. I had time to address students with problems by doing quick assesments at that moment to see who needed help. We did a lot of small group work (I taught 4th grade) to help.

I feel bad for kids who have over 45 min of homework a night. Kids who get it don't need it and kids who don't get it don't need it for hours everynight. They need more one on one in school instead.

I don't teach public school anymore, I do homeschool and I will not turn this thread into a debate.

To ImthatGirl: You can think whatever you want about me. I am well aware of my own education and experiences [including being very well versed in the law, thankyou], and really don't need your approval or accolades. Repeatedly telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about doesn't make it true, but maybe it makes you feel better. :confused3 If you care to PM me, I'll send you the links to Boston Globe articles that might be an eye-opener on a number of issues that schools in your neck of the woods are currently experiencing.

your post was utterly ridiculous and had no relevance in what actually goes on in a school setting. why would i care to pm you? if you want to post something that supports you crazy claims, by all means post it:confused3
btw, you ahve no idea where i live so i dont see how you could possibly know what my schools are facing? im quite aware of whats going on in my own childrens schools and i can assure you that my child is not "scared to use the bathroom" or spending her day learning about "alternative lifestyles":lmao:

I just sent my DD10, fifth grade to bed at 10pm. She was not finished with her homework. She still has to do:

Wordly Wise (vocabulary)- 1 page left out of 12 (was assigned Monday, had 4 pages left to do tonight)
Hatchet (novel study)- has half a chapter left (was assigned 2 chapters)
Social Studies- test tomorrow on the Civil War, needs to study more
Spelling- test tomorrow, needs to study

She completed her Language Arts Homework. Math isn't due until Tuesday, so she will be working on that and a Science project this weekend. Part of her problem is time management, but the volume is still insane.

Mary

That is just waaay too much! Any student should be able to complete their homework and still have time for family and afterschool activities. I used to be a teacher's assistant and I know how much of the homework is just thrown in the garbage; that's why I didn't have any problem picking and choosing what dd finished. I know they can't grade everything and I know the students need practice; but I figure if you can do 5 math problems (all the same) you can do 25. Why not just make them do 5 instead of assigning 25? Same with language-when its picking out the subject or the verb or something similar. 5 sentences is plenty, as long as it covers all the types of verbs or subjects or whatever is being covered.

I think novel study is wonderful and am always excited at the new one being covered, but I think plenty of time should be given to read the material. and that time should include weekends and holidays. The teachers I used to work with would tell me that studying classic novels, book reports and projects were all done to teach the students to love to read. The problem is when they don't have the time to really read the book and enjoy it, it only does the opposite.

Oh, sorry. I am not sure why I thought you were responding to me.

My response about teachers was that teachers work much more than the 8 hours they are paid for. It really isn't important to this thread though, just ignore.

Dawn

And I wasn't responding to you but to another poster, "teachers want professional pay, but employee hours and benefits." Unless you are posting under two names??

Sorry, like I said I read the first couple of pages and then skipped to the last and saw those posts; I am not entirely sure what you said about the teacher's hours.

If you were complaining about homework and the hours spent doing it: Hey, I agree! I had a major problem when dd was in 3rd (see my pp). This year though she mainly has to read and study. She is doing better on tests because she really has time to study for them. And she actually has time to read the entire story from her book every night, so her comprehension test grades have seriously improved.

Just looked back a couple of posts and saw that you homeschool. Hey, more power to you! I don't think that is the best thing for my sanity or my child's; but if thats the choice you made and you and your child are happy with it, GREAT! That doesn't mean you are not educating your child, but it also doesn't mean that those of us who choose to use public or private schools are not educating our children.

Yeah, our schools here aren't like that either, but the schools i worked in were like that. :thumbsup2 I still loved my job.

Dawn

your post was utterly ridiculous and had no relevance in what actually goes on in a school setting. why would i care to pm you? if you want to post something that supports you crazy claims, by all means post it:confused3
btw, you ahve no idea where i live so i dont see how you could possibly know what my schools are facing? im quite aware of whats going on in my own childrens schools and i can assure you that my child is not "scared to use the bathroom" or spending her day learning about "alternative lifestyles":lmao:

I spoke to my DD's teacher at the parent - teacher night last week and was told the principal instructed teachers to not provide take home work for any student with a planned absence. I thought that was rather odd personally, but they are trying to dissuade people from taking vacations during the school year. My wife and I went to WDW on our honeymoon and this is the first trip for DD. I didn't want to go for this probably only time (at least while she is young) during a crowded part of the year so I thought it wouldn't be too much for her to catch up on. We'll see if this ruins her 4.0 GPA and any chance at Harvard. Maybe they won't pay too much attention to her 1st grade GPA?

I spoke to my DD's teacher at the parent - teacher night last week and was told the principal instructed teachers to not provide take home work for any student with a planned absence. I thought that was rather odd personally, but they are trying to dissuade people from taking vacations during the school year. My wife and I went to WDW on our honeymoon and this is the first trip for DD. I didn't want to go for this probably only time (at least while she is young) during a crowded part of the year so I thought it wouldn't be too much for her to catch up on. We'll see if this ruins her 4.0 GPA and any chance at Harvard. Maybe they won't pay too much attention to her 1st grade GPA?

its really all about funding. the better the attendance rate, the better the funding. also i know at our schools if your child isnt meeting a 90% completion of homework they can be considered for being held back. of course it isnt the only factor.
its all good, they want our kids in school. i see nothing wrong with taht. what i dislike is the scare tactics they use to get them there. is your kid going to fail first grade because they go to disney for a week, no. are they going to be behind when they get back, probably slightly. but, as a parent youre aware of this and you make adjustments and catch her up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter