Election Night Online Cocktail Party

I’m posting this in pretty much all the election threads because I see the same feelings being brought out in everyone and I think I have some insight that can help you all understand and hopefully make you feel better about the way a couple states voted last night.

In 2006 WI passed the same amendment that FL did. As I understand it, CA’s amendment defines marriage, but does not take away benefits equal or similar to that of marriage like FL and WI’s do.

After 2006, I was so angry at my state. How could so many people vote against my rights? How can they be so blind? How can I stand to live in this state anymore? I am from a city of 55,000 with many surrounding “hick” towns where people really do cling to their guns and religion. I have done everything I can to surround myself in a positive environment despite our current laws here. For instance, I went to the fair in my grandma’s hometown of Viroqua, WI. When I came out of the fair, there was a “protect marriage” flier on my car. I said I’ll never give another dime to that town and I haven’t. Will it make a difference? No, but it makes me feel better.

What we all need is to strike a balance between what makes us feel better, and what we can do to make a difference. I think we can take a page from the pro-life people.

When you’re looking for a place to eat, shop, or visit for entertainment, find out the policies of these companies. Do they support their LGBT employees? Look for the ads in the major gay magazines and support those businesses. Will that make a difference? Probably only a little bit if at all, but I know it really makes me feel much better.

Now how can we make a difference? Stay where you are! Live your life and make sure when you come in contact with people that you aren’t afraid to say “well this sub is for my partner, I guess I’ll find out how well I know him” little things like that can expose many people to the fact that we are here, we are no different, and we aren’t going anywhere! It is so easy to be angry towards the people around you. He’s old, I bet he voted against me, she is black I bet she voted against me, he is walking into a Catholic church, he hates me too. Those are all easy things to do, but it doesn’t accomplish anything. Keep an open mind towards new people you meet. You might find someone is Catholic, but not necessarily opposed to your rights. I have been surprised more than once on the issue. Write a letter to the editor, but don’t be angry, seek only to educate. Although you might not change someone’s mind through your letter, it might bring up a discussion between two people with opposing views.

We have elected Obama because he wants to change Washington. As someone mentioned, he said “gay or straight” in his speech last night. No other politician who says he’s for gay rights has ever done that from what I’ve seen, and to me that says HE GETS IT. He will be working with a Democratic majority. These next 2 years(before the religious right gets motivated) are our years to make a difference at a national level! Remind our elected officials why we voted(or didn’t vote) for them. Lets get national hate crime legislation passed, repeal DODT, and repeal the DOMA. What is the one thing Obama has shown us in this election? Hope is powerful, and it’s what we ALL need to have no matter your state. Live your life, show you’re normal, and when you’re upset that you aren’t accepted, go to Disneyworld/land :grouphug: :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter