Egypt June 2022

Hi there, we just returned from the Egypt trip last week, and we felt safe absolutely everywhere due to the security and precautions taken by Disney. We had an armed guard accompanying our group the whole time. Safety was definitely not a concern on the river cruise ship at all. In Sharm, the resort is all-inclusive and secured. We never had any safety fears, and we would have liked to have stayed an additional night or two at this resort if we could have!
Up thread, I asked about allergies since we have a friend who is celiac traveling with us on this trip next year. By any chance did any of the travelers on your trip have issues with food accommodation like gluten and @The Chernabog mentioned accommodations were made. However since your trip was recent, I was wondering if there was consistency.

Also was wondering what the snorkel day was like? Were there options for people who might not want to snorkel? Thanks a bunch!

I am concerned about safety after realizing Egypt is at a level 3, and I am very grateful for your reply. Thanks!

I think I replied in the wrong spot (sorry first time using the board). Just wanted to thank you for your reply. I am worried about the level 3 travel warning, so trying to get her as much information as possible.

I think I replied in the wrong spot (sorry first time using the board). Just wanted to thank you for your reply. I am worried about the level 3 travel warning, so trying to get her as much information as possible.

I just spent 17 days in Egypt and Jordan in late Nov/early Dec. This was not with with ABD, but was a land tour and Nile cruise with AMA Waterways. The itineraries appear similar as do the security precautions. I can say that at no time did I feel unsafe in Egypt. As with ABD, everywhere we went we were accompanied by security. Every tourist site we visited was well-covered by Tourist Police officers (and their serious-looking guns). Driving on our bus through the countryside required us to pass through MANY security checkpoints well-staffed by police and military. Entering any tourist attraction, airport, and hotel requires passing through x-ray and metal detector. Maybe it's all 'security theatre', but we felt pretty secure.

I'm kind of rambling here, but happy to answer any general questions you might have about visiting Egypt. FWIW, our Egypt itinerary included a few days in Cairo, flight to Luxor where we boarded our ship, 7 days down the Nile to Aswan and back to Luxor (with stops along the way), plus a side-trip from Aswan to Abu Simbel. We wrapped up with a flight from Luxor to Cairo, an extra day in Cairo, and then flight back home to Canada.

Up thread, I asked about allergies since we have a friend who is celiac traveling with us on this trip next year. By any chance did any of the travelers on your trip have issues with food accommodation like gluten and @The Chernabog mentioned accommodations were made. However since your trip was recent, I was wondering if there was consistency.

Also was wondering what the snorkel day was like? Were there options for people who might not want to snorkel? Thanks a bunch!
Thanks for this post! We liked all of the original ABD published activities, but my DW does not swim and is uncomfortable traveling to Sini so we never booked this. (Personally, I would love to skip the boating and snorkeling (it's hard to beat the Australian Great Barrier reef and the Florida southern keys) and go up to the top of Mt. Sini...) so if there were great alternatives to the boating/snorkling we might take a second look.

Thanks for this post! We liked all of the original ABD published activities, but my DW does not swim and is uncomfortable traveling to Sini so we never booked this. (Personally, I would love to skip the boating and snorkeling (it's hard to beat the Australian Great Barrier reef and the Florida southern keys) and go up to the top of Mt. Sini...) so if there were great alternatives to the boating/snorkling we might take a second look.
Not sure if this helps or not, but my days of swimming/snorkeling are in the past (the sun is not my friend). The boat trip was amazing, There were several of us who were "along for the ride" (did not swim/snorkel). We enjoyed the relaxing day at sea and spectacular scenery. The crew was prepared for us with plenty of comfortable seating in the shade (and snacks). My husband/kids loved the snorkeling and our ABD guides dance party on the way back to shore, The farewell dinner on the beach was very special, We thought it was the perfect ending to a perfect trip,

I just spent 17 days in Egypt and Jordan in late Nov/early Dec. This was not with with ABD, but was a land tour and Nile cruise with AMA Waterways. The itineraries appear similar as do the security precautions. I can say that at no time did I feel unsafe in Egypt. As with ABD, everywhere we went we were accompanied by security. Every tourist site we visited was well-covered by Tourist Police officers (and their serious-looking guns). Driving on our bus through the countryside required us to pass through MANY security checkpoints well-staffed by police and military. Entering any tourist attraction, airport, and hotel requires passing through x-ray and metal detector. Maybe it's all 'security theatre', but we felt pretty secure.

I'm kind of rambling here, but happy to answer any general questions you might have about visiting Egypt. FWIW, our Egypt itinerary included a few days in Cairo, flight to Luxor where we boarded our ship, 7 days down the Nile to Aswan and back to Luxor (with stops along the way), plus a side-trip from Aswan to Abu Simbel. We wrapped up with a flight from Luxor to Cairo, an extra day in Cairo, and then flight back home to Canada.
Thank you! Ours is similar, 3 nights Cairo, 3 nights Nile cruise, 3 nights in Sharm. I appreciate your reply ❤️

I'm in the same boat ;) When I asked about options that weren't in the sun/snorkeling, I was told the only choice was to stay at the resort. I'm not sure if that means the resort is in an area where you couldn't take a private (at your own cost) tour or find a museum to go for the day. I was really put off by the ABD Travelista's either ignorance or disdain over the idea that I wouldn't want to snorkel. It seems like a lot of work and two flights, for a snorkel trip. But I grew up in Key West so maybe I'm biased....

I'm in the same boat ;) When I asked about options that weren't in the sun/snorkeling, I was told the only choice was to stay at the resort. I'm not sure if that means the resort is in an area where you couldn't take a private (at your own cost) tour or find a museum to go for the day. I was really put off by the ABD Travelista's either ignorance or disdain over the idea that I wouldn't want to snorkel. It seems like a lot of work and two flights, for a snorkel trip. But I grew up in Key West so maybe I'm biased....
Not sure if this helps or not, but my days of swimming/snorkeling are in the past (the sun is not my friend). The boat trip was amazing, There were several of us who were "along for the ride" (did not swim/snorkel). We enjoyed the relaxing day at sea and spectacular scenery. The crew was prepared for us with plenty of comfortable seating in the shade (and snacks). My husband/kids loved the snorkeling and our ABD guides dance party on the way back to shore, The farewell dinner on the beach was very special, We thought it was the perfect ending to a perfect trip,

Wow @Raya sorry you had that experience with the vacationista. I booked the trip based on everything else on the itinerary. It's one day of snorkeling. The resort is supposed to be pretty awesome and everyone I have spoken to that has done this ABD says they would have liked more time at the resort. I was hoping that there may be a second option besides snorkeling but if there isn't, its fine with me.

Thanks @MKMK If the only option is to stay at the resort or the scenery on the boat while along for the ride then it's fine. I'd prefer an alternate activity but if it isn't in the cards, so be it.

@Grifdog22 I’m highly unlikely to do the snorkeling activity since I have an absolute irrational fear of sharks. :rolleyes: I live in south Florida and don’t do snorkeling here ever. That said, I’ve managed to face this fear a couple of times. The first time was 20 years ago in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia and I lasted a few minutes before panicking. I did it again in the Galapagos a about a week ago and did much better, snorkeled twice the same day. Eventually, I got back in the boat a little earlier than the group on the second snorkel once I started hyperventilating. It was a phenomenal experience but I’m done with snorkeling and I am quite content to say I have done it in the two places on earth that really made me wish I did not have this phobia of sharks. Everything else on the itinerary looks wonderful but this day will be wasted on me. I know how exhausting an ABD can be so I will likely stay back at the hotel and recover from the rest of the trip.

I'm so glad you were able to do it a little, @calypso726 ! My husband has similar feelings, but does it anyway. We swam with four kinds of sharks in the Galapagos over Christmas and all were chill, thankfully. I'm more afraid of dolphins messing with me than sharks, but I know that feeling of being a fish out of wate... er... human in water? You get the point! :)

Snorkeling would be much more fun without the sun worry, I agree. Thankfully in the Galapagos it was cold enough water we were all in wetsuits so we only needed block on our hands and necks. These days I wear a long sleeve rash guard and shorts when I snorkel on my own - its just not worth the effort of rubbing reef safe block in so frequently.

A bit off topic, however for others that can't get there...

We've dreamed of going to Egypt but since I have a walking disability it likely will never happen. Dr Zahi Hawass is giving a lecture in Orlando June 17. We're flying from NH and using our DVC points to stay at BRV 1 BR for four nights...DH was shocked when he learned he was also speaking in Boston (90 minutes away) LOL. Too late, reservations all confirmed!

A bit off topic, however for others that can't get there...

We've dreamed of going to Egypt but since I have a walking disability it likely will never happen. Dr Zahi Hawass is giving a lecture in Orlando June 17. We're flying from NH and using our DVC points to stay at BRV 1 BR for four nights...DH was shocked when he learned he was also speaking in Boston (90 minutes away) LOL. Too late, reservations all confirmed!
Who?

Sayhello

I know I’m a little a little late in posting, but I felt safe in Sharma. When I first booked the trip, I thought this leg of the trip was “fill” to pad this adventure. But I loved snorkeling the Red Sea. I saw a Napoleon fish while I was snorkeling and was thrilled—It is my favorite fish in the aquarium here in Houston. (I am fascinated that Napoleon fish change it’s sex totally during it’s lifetime). My husband, who really snorkels to humor me, enjoyed it too. He did stay on the boat quite a bit but enjoyed it at the resort and on the boat.

So we felt safe and happy at the resort and on the boat too. And to let you know how nervous we were about being in Egypt before we left home, we actually bought insurance coverage that covered kidnapping….

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter