ECV with Uber or Lyft?

mill4023

DIS Veteran
Hi,
We will be staying offsite at a house in Emerald Island Resort.
My wife has mobility issues, so I plan to rent an ECV for the duration of our stay. We will be driving to the parks each morning, but DW will probably not be able to stay the whole day, so I was thinking she could use Lyft or Uber to go back to the house.
Has anyone used these services with an ECV?

I use Lyft with a rollator. Not the same at all, but generally successful. See the respective websites for specifics.

Probably better getting wheel chair-accessible cabs from Mears. Or rest in First Aid.

There is an option in the Uber app to request an accessible vehicle, just be aware that it may take longer for it to pick you up.

There is an option in the Uber app to request an accessible vehicle, just be aware that it may take longer for it to pick you up.

Check out the cost of an accessible van, too. I have a feeling there would be an up charge.

Not sure for the reason to go back early, but you can nap in cots at the first aid centers. Maybe, with a little rest she would be able to continue later.

Also, it might be better for you to go and load her scooter in your vehicle and let her drive back with your car, if she's willing and if she could do it. She would have to walk into the house on her own accord. You could deal with the scooter later when you got back when you took Uber or Lyft back yourself.

Her disability causes swelling and pain in the pelvis and legs. She can only walk for short distances. She can last longer in a wheelchair or scooter, but even then, the pain gradually gets worse the longer she is sitting. I expect that she will only be able to visit the parks for 4 or 5 hours each day, before needing to lay down and rest.
So I've planned our days (and fastpasses) to make sure we do her favorite attractions before lunch each day. I'll look into the first aid centers, but usually once she's been out for awhile and is starting to hurt, she just wants to get back to bed.
She could drive the car back to the house, but since we are a party of 7, I'm thinking it makes more sense for her to use Lyft. I hadn't thought about it before, but maybe it would be easier for her to catch a Lyft and we just keep the scooter at the park until we leave for the day. She won't need the scooter at the house.

Just chiming in here for anyone who looks for this in the future (like me). As of today, UberWAV and Lyft Access Mode aren't available in Orlando yet (they are still piloting in other cities). Minnie Vans do have accessible vehicles. For our particular situation I was just looking to see if anyone had used an ECV with these services (mom doesn't really need assistance or a ramp). Plan on trying to use UberXL, which I read other places people have done without issue as long as it folds up. Our other issue, however, is if there's room for the scooter AND all of our luggage, 3 adults and 1 child (we are moving from Disney to Universal resort mid stay). Looking for ideas on bigger vehicles just in case!

I'm sorry I missed this question when it was originally posted. I have done this numerous times with a rigid manual wheelchair that does not fold. As long as I request UberXL or the Lyft SUV equivalent, I have not had a problem loading my chair and taking the ride.

The main concern that I would have with an ECV is making sure that it is a model that you know you will be able to handle and load on your own. I would work under the assumption that space will not be a big issue, but that at some point you will be responsible for loading the ECV into the back of the vehicle on your own without assistance.

This post may be in the wrong place, sorry. I just noticed that this thread is about Uber and Lyft, my question is only about the WDW Minnie Van service.

I have heard that the wait for an accessible Minnie Van can be significant, upwards to 40 minutes.

I am wondering if the Minnie Van service will allow a travel scooter in a regular SUV Minnie van. I use a Pride GoGo travel scooter and it can be disassembled and reassembled very easily. parts can be scattered for ease of placement in a car or SUV.

Thanks,
Andy D

Last edited:
What’s tricky about the regular Minnie Vans is that the entire bottom of the cargo space is taken up by car seats. That means putting a mobility device in requires either getting it into the back row of seats, or shifting the car seats around. Doable, but takes a few minutes.

What’s tricky about the regular Minnie Vans is that the entire bottom of the cargo space is taken up by car seats. That means putting a mobility device in requires either getting it into the back row of seats, or shifting the car seats around. Doable, but takes a few minutes.
Or you could request an accessible Minnie Van.

It does sound like a little work, but the question is will they allow it?

Or you could request an accessible Minnie Van.

I understand that there are only four (4) accessible Minnie Vans, and it can take up to 40 minutes or more to get one.

What I will be attempting to do is to reduce my transportation wait time. On my last visit because of the number of scooters at Old Key West I sometime had to wait for two or three buses to get a bus that had availability, that usually translated to 40 minutes to 1.5 hours at the bus stop in Old Key West. I am looking to reduce that wait time. I also understand that the wait for a regular Minnie van is in the under 10 minute range.

Or I guess I could try to anticipate my time leaving the resort and try to order a Minnie Van 40 minutes ahead to arrive at the resort when I need it. This will be a learning experience for me.

I am sure it's all doable, just trying to get things figured out.

Thanks,

Andy D

It does sound like a little work, but the question is will they allow it?
Generally, no. There is nowhere for them to leave the carseats
What I will be attempting to do is to reduce my transportation wait time. On my last visit because of the number of scooters at Old Key West I sometime had to wait for two or three buses to get a bus that had availability, that usually translated to 40 minutes to 1.5 hours at the bus stop in Old Key West. I am looking to reduce that wait time. I also understand that the wait for a regular Minnie van is in the under 10 minute range.
You could try proceeding to the Peninsular Road stop. Or talk to the OKW manager for help/suggestions.

Her disability causes swelling and pain in the pelvis and legs. She can only walk for short distances. She can last longer in a wheelchair or scooter, but even then, the pain gradually gets worse the longer she is sitting. I expect that she will only be able to visit the parks for 4 or 5 hours each day, before needing to lay down and rest.
So I've planned our days (and fastpasses) to make sure we do her favorite attractions before lunch each day. I'll look into the first aid centers, but usually once she's been out for awhile and is starting to hurt, she just wants to get back to bed.
She could drive the car back to the house, but since we are a party of 7, I'm thinking it makes more sense for her to use Lyft. I hadn't thought about it before, but maybe it would be easier for her to catch a Lyft and we just keep the scooter at the park until we leave for the day. She won't need the scooter at the house.

OP, how did it work out? If I had seen this earlier, I would have suggested someone just drive her back to your offsite place and then come back to the park. Or even better, change your reservation and stay onsite, which makes it much easier to get back to your resort.

It does sound like a little work, but the question is will they allow it

Sept of this year: I was able to use a "standard" Minnie Van ONLY because:
- There were only two of us as passengers, and
- My personal mobility device was able to fit into the space created when the car seats were stowed in the back row of the Van

We called for the Minnie Van, and then discussed it with our driver - and under our particular set of circumstances, it did work out. To set the proper expectation in this case: I can't guarantee that all Minnie Van Drivers will be as accommodating, or that Disney's transportation policies will always allow this particular scenario.

I will say this: *If* your Minnie Van Driver allows you to load the disassembled ECV into the space created by moving a car seat, take it as "Pixie Dust", and don't expect that every single Driver will necessarily be as accommodating.

Has anyone used UberWAV or Lyft Access Mode yet? We are doing WDW & UNI in Nov. I don't want to split stay b/c cost is considerably higher, so we'll just get transport from one park to the other. I have an ECV & hope to find out how things went and how was cost? Park busses are fine, it's just getting from one to the other. TIA!

If you are looking for transportation with a scooter, just wanted to let you know Mears Transportation (taxi service) offers a handicap taxi. You can call and they will quote you a price. We took them from resort to resort. It was $13. You ride the scooter up a ramp. You can stay seated or change to a sea t (407-422-2222)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!