ECV at Universal

eeyoreandtink

DIS Veteran
Hi All.
Due to a recent injury that hasn't healed as quickly as I would like, it looks like I will be needing a scooter at Universal. We are staying onsite at the Adventura Hotel, and Buena Vista Scooter is delivering to the hotel. I was hoping someone with experience navigating Universal in an ECV could give me the lay of the land so to speak. Specifically, getting from the hotel to the park?

I stayed at Royal Pacific and just rode my scooter down the pathway to the parks. There is a bridge on that pathway that had a sign pointing to Aventura and Sapphire resorts - so I believe you could do the same from those resorts ( I would call and ask about walking pathways to the parks, just in case). It was kind of fun, cruising along with the wind in my hair :D.

I don't know why, but it didn't seem like nearly as many people on ECVs at Universal as WDW. It was fairly easy to get around - the only difficult spots were the Harry Potter areas because of the crowds - at one point in Diagon ally, I just gave up and parked the scooter ( near the pram parking) and walked around ( 7 week old knee replacement - I could walk, it just hurt)

Check with their park website, but I'm thinking a lot of their queues don't let ECVs in them? I'll try to find the post that talked about this before.

Check with their park website, but I'm thinking a lot of their queues don't let ECVs in them? I'll try to find the post that talked about this before.

I had to rent one of their park ECV's a couple of years ago and I don't remember being able to take it into any of the ques. They were supposed to have WC's to transfer to but they didn't have those either - it was an incredible mess. I The persons working the attraction usually just put us in the express pass line so I wouldn't have to walk far. Sometimes the person had no idea what to do. I was chaperoning a school trip so I couldn't leave the kids (or wasn't supposed to - not at all). From that experience I just won't go back there with an ECV. It was awful compared to WDW.

for the most part, as others have said, no ECVs in the lines. my wheelchair., however, has no issues. will you have express pass? the Harry Potter lands are cobblestone and that can make for minor difficulties as well. the entire complex is fairly compact and between the walking paths and the boats/busses getting to and fro is easy. the paths are nice, mostly shaded as well. I will say the busses drop you off at the very far end of the shopping district as far away from the park entrances as you can get. the paths, OTOH are right there and the boat dock is within spitting distance.

one thing I vastly prefer is all the rides are zero entry. no trying to climb up or down into ride vehicles.

one thing I vastly prefer is all the rides are zero entry. no trying to climb up or down into ride vehicles.

I agree! I had no problems at all going on Universal rides - but at WDW, there were more than a few that I bypassed because it just would have hurt my new knee too much (it's okay, I've ridden them before...)

When we took DMIL, she had her own personal EVC. It was easy to get around, but like others have said, she couldn't take it into the lines. They wanted her to transfer to a wheel chair to go through the line. But most of the lines had no wheel chair, so they took us through the exit for those rides. Next time she goes, we will also bring her wheel chair just so we have a way for her to transfer without having to hunt one down each time. But even with all of that, she (like us) really enjoyed Universal.

Thanks for all the great info. We will take the paths or boats to get to the parks. I am rehabbing a knee injury and definitely won't be able to stand through the lines. Its good to know that there is at least an alternative there. Hopefully we will be able to manage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!