ECV and full leg brace/cast

Wailea

Mouseketeer
So I fractured my knee cap so I am in a full leg brace, unable to bend at the knee, with a Disney World staycation in 2 weeks (we are locals). We will be bringing my wheelchair with the leg extender, but I feel bad for my husband who will have to push me around in 90 degree weather. Would I be able to fit and operate an ECV with a constantly extended leg? If so, do you recommend a 3 wheel or a 4 wheel? Thank you!

If you are short and small then you probably can, but more likely with an off-stie rental ECV than a rental from Disney. If your legs are long and/or you‘ve got other issues with mobility, than probably not..

Part of the issue is your comfort in reaching and managing steering if your leg is immobilized.

if you’re short/petite, you might have problems reaching the steering yoke if you have limited flexibility at the hip. If you’re long-legged or otherwise have reduced mobility, you may find it very difficult to get comfortable.

Last edited:
Another thought (from personal experience- my legs are both permanently fused at the hips).

Some ECVs will let you raise the seat. There is a pin that will let you adjust the height. For your purpose, higher is better, I think.

Do be careful- your ability to adjust your weight to balance yourself may be affected.

Last edited:
So I fractured my knee cap so I am in a full leg brace, unable to bend at the knee, with a Disney World staycation in 2 weeks (we are locals). We will be bringing my wheelchair with the leg extender, but I feel bad for my husband who will have to push me around in 90 degree weather. Would I be able to fit and operate an ECV with a constantly extended leg? If so, do you recommend a 3 wheel or a 4 wheel? Thank you!

Since you are local, you may want to call some of the highly recommended vendors here on this forum (Gold's is very popular) and see if you can go by and "test sit" a few of their models.

Normally, I would personally suggest a 3 wheel scooter, because they are more nimble in the queues that wind around back and forth.

However, you need a place to extend your leg, so a 4 wheel might serve you much better.

A fews things to remember:

- Your leg *will* get tired, regardless of which device you use... except for the wheelchair, (because it will support your entire leg at the proper height) and even then, getting in and out of rides will be tiring. Consider planning a mid-day break, and definitely be ready to pace yourself.

- Remember that the First Aid stations in all 4 Parks are your friend. You can go there and ask to lie down for a bit, elevate the leg (if you are swelling) and if your brace is adjustable, you can re-adjust it if needed. They also have ice, and complimentary generic Tylenol. (IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE: STAY AHEAD OF YOUR PAIN! It's so much easier to get pain under control if you don't let yourself get to a "10")

- I am assuming (based on a *lot* of personal experience) that your brace is black. Florida sun will be your enemy. Bring along a lightweight, white or very light color towel or length of fabric to help keep the sun from turning your brace into an unbearable oven.

- Bring along a second towel to cover the (inevitable black) seat of the mobility device you will be using. No point in burning the backs of your legs if you don't have to.

- Since you will be sitting, remember to apply sunscreen to the tops of your legs (if you are wearing shorts) since those will be as exposed to more sun than normal, as well as your shoulders, arms/hands, feet, etc.

- Plan on using Companion restrooms where possible; you will be able to drive right in through the door, and park very near the toilet. Your husband can help turn the mobility device around while you take care of business.

- Take along a colorful cotton bandana (or two) in a zip-lock bag. To cool off, you can dip it in the free ice water you get at any QS food service location, you can tie one on to your mobility device (you will be surprised at how many identical/nearly identical mobility devices there are once your start using one!) to help it stand out (and so you can ask the CM where they moved the scooter with the bright green bandana...) and you can use it for at least another dozen little handy things. You can find them at Wal-Mart as well as hobby and craft stores, typically for less than $2 each.

I know this is hard, and it hurts, and it is stupidly uncomfortable in the brace. Once you have a chance to work with a mobility device vendor, you may have more questions - be sure to let us know if we can help answer those as well!

Since you are local, you may want to call some of the highly recommended vendors here on this forum (Gold's is very popular) and see if you can go by and "test sit" a few of their models.

Normally, I would personally suggest a 3 wheel scooter, because they are more nimble in the queues that wind around back and forth.

However, you need a place to extend your leg, so a 4 wheel might serve you much better.

A fews things to remember:

- Your leg *will* get tired, regardless of which device you use... except for the wheelchair, (because it will support your entire leg at the proper height) and even then, getting in and out of rides will be tiring. Consider planning a mid-day break, and definitely be ready to pace yourself.

- Remember that the First Aid stations in all 4 Parks are your friend. You can go there and ask to lie down for a bit, elevate the leg (if you are swelling) and if your brace is adjustable, you can re-adjust it if needed. They also have ice, and complimentary generic Tylenol. (IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE: STAY AHEAD OF YOUR PAIN! It's so much easier to get pain under control if you don't let yourself get to a "10")

- I am assuming (based on a *lot* of personal experience) that your brace is black. Florida sun will be your enemy. Bring along a lightweight, white or very light color towel or length of fabric to help keep the sun from turning your brace into an unbearable oven.

- Bring along a second towel to cover the (inevitable black) seat of the mobility device you will be using. No point in burning the backs of your legs if you don't have to.

- Since you will be sitting, remember to apply sunscreen to the tops of your legs (if you are wearing shorts) since those will be as exposed to more sun than normal, as well as your shoulders, arms/hands, feet, etc.

- Plan on using Companion restrooms where possible; you will be able to drive right in through the door, and park very near the toilet. Your husband can help turn the mobility device around while you take care of business.

- Take along a colorful cotton bandana (or two) in a zip-lock bag. To cool off, you can dip it in the free ice water you get at any QS food service location, you can tie one on to your mobility device (you will be surprised at how many identical/nearly identical mobility devices there are once your start using one!) to help it stand out (and so you can ask the CM where they moved the scooter with the bright green bandana...) and you can use it for at least another dozen little handy things. You can find them at Wal-Mart as well as hobby and craft stores, typically for less than $2 each.

I know this is hard, and it hurts, and it is stupidly uncomfortable in the brace. Once you have a chance to work with a mobility device vendor, you may have more questions - be sure to let us know if we can help answer those as well!
Wow, fantastic tips, thank you so much!

I believe some vendors (can't remember if Gold is one) actually have a solution that provides a place to rest your leg with a cast on it. I just can't remember who it was right now, but give a few of the better ones (Gold, Walker, Buena Vista, etc.) a call and see what they have.

I believe some vendors (can't remember if Gold is one) actually have a solution that provides a place to rest your leg with a cast on it. I just can't remember who it was right now, but give a few of the better ones (Gold, Walker, Buena Vista, etc.) a call and see what they have.
Will do, thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter