ECV advice please!

stobaugh6

Mouseketeer
My mother and I have a WDW trip planned for April to see my DD who is in the DCP. My mom needs to have surgery on her foot, but has decided to hold off until after our trip. She can walk on the foot, but not miles and miles a day. I've convinced her that renting an ECV for the week is really her best option. She's a little reluctant because she thinks it's going to be more trouble than it's worth. I'd like to know, before we get there, what to expect as far as the busses, and parking at the parks, Disney Springs, and at our resort. Plus any other tips you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated! We will also have my 3 year old DD with us, so we will have a stroller as well. And one last thing, any advice on rental places? Thank you so much!!

Edited to add...we are staying at POFQ April 22-27. Thanks!

Heather

My mother and I have a WDW trip planned for April to see my DD who is in the DCP. My mom needs to have surgery on her foot, but has decided to hold off until after our trip. She can walk on the foot, but not miles and miles a day. I've convinced her that renting an ECV for the week is really her best option. She's a little reluctant because she thinks it's going to be more trouble than it's worth. I'd like to know, before we get there, what to expect as far as the busses, and parking at the parks, Disney Springs, and at our resort. Plus any other tips you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated! We will also have my 3 year old DD with us, so we will have a stroller as well. And one last thing, any advice on rental places? Thank you so much!!

Heather

Just got back from a trip with my parents. My dad has some mobility issues and needed a scooter which was secured through Buena Vista Scooters. Best money ever spent. By the second day, we decided we would should rent my mom one as well. We ended up just getting hers through the Disney at the park entrance as the cost worked out to about he same. BUT, be warned, they run out early. We got in each day at opening, so it wasn't an issue, but the CM informed us they usually are out of scooters within several hours of opening. We had one issue with the rented scooter from Buena Vista, but they were in the park with a new one within 30 minutes. The second one was great!

They will board the ECV to the buses first. There are designated areas/entrances at the parks and resorts. You and your party can board with your mom. Best advice - have your mom drive the scooter slowly onto the bus and let the driver park it for her. They cannot drive it on or off, but once on, they can park it. Much faster. Most buses have the ability to hold two scooters, so unless you are going to/from a really busy place, you should be okay. We never had to wait.

In the parks, some rides have handicap entrances. The CM will let her know if she needs to transfer to the ride or can stay on the scooter. If she gets off, the scooter will be waiting for her after she gets off of the ride.

Bottom line, if you even THINK you may need one, get it. It's well worth the investment. Also, bring an three-pronged extension cord. Helps when you are in a location that you cannot get close to an outlet to charge the battery.

We had to use a scooter this past February, for the first time, too. My husband was in the same boat as your MOm. He could walk some but not the distances required at WDW. He had recent back surgery. We decided to just rent one in the park we were in that day. You can go to other parks and just show your receipt and get another one if you want to. We never had a problem getting one at another park, but we were there in a slower time of year.
My husband just didn't want the bother of keeping track of an ECV all the time; ie at the resort, room, buses, etc. That was his decision which was a more costly one. It is $50 a day plus 20.00 deposit that you get back at the end of the day. But he only used it 5 days out of 10. He found that with using it those days, he could navigate much better with frequent rest periods and he much preferred this way over a weekly rental. I don't know if this solution would work for your Mother, but it worked for my husband. It's an option!

my friend uses a scooter and it is the best thing she is not in pain can pretty much do park oping to park closing now.

park the schooter in your room please not in the hallway where it can be messes with in other people way

charge it every night and turn it off when not in use so in lines standing still when eating, when watching the parade, when trying to decide where to go what to do next turn it off ( most of them this mean take the key out enough it turns off) this will more then likely save enough battery to lest the whole day

you can bring the plug with you if you think you may need it, there are plane you can plug in if need be ( If you have a very long day you may want to do this.

most line you can bring the ECV in the FP or stand by a few has an alternative entrance or you can only use FP a few line have stars the CM will let you know what you need to do my friend with just smile at the CM when we go in line just incase something has changed sine we were left there, and really CM have such a hard job why not smile at them and make there day better.

busses two ECV can fit on the buss you will for the most park line up in the handicap please and lead first you will also get off last
if there is an exemption to this a CM will be there to let you know ( mostly at MK after the park close going to one of the all star resorts)

hmm I think that is it

There are very few designated scooter parking spots in the parks. Often you just park it with the strollers. Ask a cast member if it is not apparent.

Take a distinctive scarf to tie to basket. Scooters get moved by cast members and finding yours is easier if it is marked. Blinking lights from the dollar store helps others see ECV at night.

I would suggest she use an ECV from an outside vendor if she even thinks she will need it. Yes, it is a bit of a hassle on the busses but it will be worth it in wear and tear saved on the foot pre surgery. Have a great time.

Remember that the rabbit/turtle dial is your mother's friend. I keep one hand on it as much as possible.

If you go to the disABILITIES FAQ sticky thread at the top of this page, there is a ton of information on ECVs. Where to rent, bus & other transportation info, etc.
If you rent from an outside vendor, have your mom practice on the ECV around your resort in some non-crowded areas. Practice stopping quickly, learning the controls, doing a sharp turn, doing a 3-point turn, etc. She'll do fine!

I take the neon band that goes around my suitcase and place it on the back of the seat to make it stand out.

Trying to get a scooter on the buses can be challenging to newbies. Parking it on the bus in an exact position is where the challenge is. You may have to take over yourself for your mom to get the scooter parked on the bus.

Also, be aware scooters can't jump curbs. With a stroller you should be using ramps yourself everywhere; so, just be aware.

When parking the scooter try to find some shelter like a roofed in area or whatever. This can protect it more if it rains. Don't park the scooter on a parade route; CMs will move the scooter. Don't limit access to others either when you park like blocking an entrance or exit.

Be aware some rides have big drops getting in and out and that could put a lot of pressure on your mom's foot.

Trying to get a scooter on the buses can be challenging to newbies. Parking it on the bus in an exact position is where the challenge is. You may have to take over yourself for your mom to get the scooter parked on the bus.

Hopefully, you'll get bus drivers like I did, almost alll willing to help. I've been on buses at least a dozen times with my ECV, and every bus driver has offered to park my ECV except one time.

Yes, this has been pretty much my experience as well, the drivers are extremely helpful. I got the hang of it pretty quick and one of the drivers asked if I wanted a driving job! LOL!

Edited to add...we are staying at POFQ April 22-27. Thanks!

Heather
my tip take ECV in line with you when ever you can. do not park in stroller parking as seat will be hot in sunshine or wet if pop up storm comes thru. cover controls anytime in rain. have a cover for your stroller also. I would bus to MK for sure because even if you cannot park in handicapped but if sent to rows behind that it is a hike to either ferry or monorail with cars going by you as you walk the walkway no trams from that area. I was not sure about using ECV at first but after day 2 I did not want to be without it. get the rental offsite as it helps to be able to have at resort and to get to your transportation at end of day. you always have a place to sit and rest anytime you need. park rentals can not go past the gate. if mom has a chance before you go have her practice at a store or Walmart.

Scooters are great, but really long and hard to maneuver. I have a power wheel chair and can turn 360 in place. Much better, but can take practice to drive. It's worth it tho IMO.

Scooters are great, but really long and hard to maneuver. I have a power wheel chair and can turn 360 in place. Much better, but can take practice to drive. It's worth it tho IMO.
most places do not want to rent out a power wheel chair to those that do not already have them, because for most people they are harder to drive then ECV. Since the joy stick dose it all how fast you go where you go. I am one of the few that I can easily drive a power wheel chair but can not for the life of me drive an ECV.

I have a 3-wheel scooter than can turn 360 on it's back wheel. ;) I'm one of those folks who knows her future - I *will* be in a power chair at some point, but for now, and for as long as I humanly can, me and my faithful steed Angus will roll on together. He's light, and nimble, and I have no end of fun with him and because of him... ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter