Eating at Disney after Weight Loss Surgery

Both my wife and I either a) split meals or b) asked for a kid’s portion and told them I was on medication that prevented me from eating much at once or c) just ordered soup or an appetizer and then snacked later on if still hungry.

The Flower & Garden Festival was a godsend! I could snag a small plate for a few dollars, my wife and I would each take a few bites then assess if we could or wanted to eat more in the next country. Think tapas around World Showcase!

In a surprising turn of events, I'm likely going to both DL and WDW in the same month (October), but less than 3 months out from RNY. I have been researching this exact thing.

1. Bring a shaker bottle, and protein powders. Get cold water/milk around the park for your shakes, and hydrate with protein if you can. December won't be too hot, but still likely to be more active than you are regularly used to, so make sure you are consistent with your hydration.

2. Your Surgeon is likely to give you a medical card (or one can be purchased online) that advises of your food restrictions due to surgery, bring that with you, Disney is usually really good about accommodations anyways, but it doesn't hurt to have back up.

3. Speak to the chef if needed. The Chef's at Disney would be more than happy to work with you to find a solution that meets your dietary needs.

4. HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE!!!!!

5. Start your day with your protein shake in your hotel before going to the park.

6. AYCE/ Buffets won't be worth the price in food. Disney generally will still charge as adults, but it does allow you freedom over what you put on your plate. Is the ambience worth it to you?

7. Outside of the AYCE places, dont be afraid to bring a tupperware to toss some leftovers in, and bring with you throughout the day (obviously depending on shelf stability/if you have an ice pack). This will allow you to get the most out of your meals, and still have more protein if/when you get hungry later on.

I will update with more after my trip, and wish me luck!!!

In a surprising turn of events, I'm likely going to both DL and WDW in the same month (October), but less than 3 months out from RNY. I have been researching this exact thing.

1. Bring a shaker bottle, and protein powders. Get cold water/milk around the park for your shakes, and hydrate with protein if you can. December won't be too hot, but still likely to be more active than you are regularly used to, so make sure you are consistent with your hydration.

2. Your Surgeon is likely to give you a medical card (or one can be purchased online) that advises of your food restrictions due to surgery, bring that with you, Disney is usually really good about accommodations anyways, but it doesn't hurt to have back up.

3. Speak to the chef if needed. The Chef's at Disney would be more than happy to work with you to find a solution that meets your dietary needs.

4. HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE!!!!!

5. Start your day with your protein shake in your hotel before going to the park.

6. AYCE/ Buffets won't be worth the price in food. Disney generally will still charge as adults, but it does allow you freedom over what you put on your plate. Is the ambience worth it to you?

7. Outside of the AYCE places, dont be afraid to bring a tupperware to toss some leftovers in, and bring with you throughout the day (obviously depending on shelf stability/if you have an ice pack). This will allow you to get the most out of your meals, and still have more protein if/when you get hungry later on.

I will update with more after my trip, and wish me luck!!!

i have to try some different protein powder cuz the one i had for pre surgery and right after really messed with my stomach. i do plan on bringing protein bars to snack on between meals and already have big bottles for my water :) only buffet that i would like to go to is hollywood and vine just for the characters in their holiday outfits, but i'm also ok if i miss it. i also was thinking about bringing zip-lock bags for leftovers, if theres any even left since my husband and i plan to share some meals though it might not even be that many since we have different tastes and we handle some food differently than each other. thanks for this it's very helpful have a great trip :)

amyone else that have the surgery have gallbladder problems afterwards? i didn't know this could be a possible problem but here i am in the hospital scheduled to have my gallbladder removed tomorrow. the doctors said its a common problem after sleeve surgery, just another thing my surgeons office never told me -_-

Yeah, it's too bad they didn't tell you about it because it's a significant risk. What if it had been a fatal accident and you hadn't been saved in time?

Yeah, it's too bad they didn't tell you about it because it's a significant risk. What if it had been a fatal accident and you hadn't been saved in time?
absolutely right! i almost didn't go to the hospital cuz i thought it was just cramps but thought better and called my dad to take me since my hubby was at work. my hubby also had the surgery and wasn't told it was a side effect either, but at least he knows what to look out for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!