Early Park Admission Strategy (with Express Pass)

thofri

Earning My Ears
Universal Studios newbie question here. Family has one jam-packed day at Universal planned for Thanksgiving weekend (Saturday/28th), Hours at both parks are 8-10pm. Staying at Hard Rock Hotel, so we will have Express Pass. I'm sure it will be an insanely crowded day.

Both parks are opening for Early Park Admission at 7am, which park is it best to start with? Is there an advantage of one over the other during the EPA? Also, does it make sense to do as much at one park such as Islands Adventure before taking Hogswarts Express over to Universal Studios later in the day or is it better to try to do both parks' Harry Potter rides first thing?

Thanks for any advice!

Check the UO website and read about the rides, entertainment, eateries, etc in both parks.

Decide which one appeals to you most.
Start with that park.

Saturdays are always highest attendance day of the week.

Definitely start at IOA, since Hagrid's is one of the only rides that doesn't have Express Pass. Ride it first thing for the shortest waits, then move on to the rest.

The importance of Hagrid's will be a major deciding factor. If it is critical, then you pretty much need to start with IOA. Just make sure to get at least 30 minutes before opening (so 6:30 am) to make sure you ride it early. Otherwise, you miss out on the near-empty park for your EE hour.

If Hagrid's is not a must-ride, but you are big HP fans, then I would start with US and Diagon alley. Once you to the HP stuff there, take Hogwarts Express to IOA to do Hogmeade. That gives you a chance to see everything before the mobs hit. I would expect very long lines in the afternoon, even for EP.

Definitely agree, during this time if you want Hagrid, start at IOA, go straight to Hagrid, don't have to fool with virtual line at all, but if you want multiple rides on it, start checking and refreshing app about 30 min before normal opening time and try to snag one, then to Hogwart's to Universal. Try to snag Olivander's time if that is on the list and hit Gringott's. Don't miss The Mummy at Universal. I think even EP lines will get long that weekend. There's a good chance they will open up the passageway from Seuss in IOA to Universal when parks hit capacity that day. If anyone in your crew gets motion sick in the least, watch out for Forbidden Journey and Simpsons, take that Dramamine and if you forget it or someone winds up needing, they have it at Walgreen's First Aid station in Universal for free.

I am unclear about this too; I asked the same question in this thread (but no one has answered yet): https://www.disboards.com/threads/ollivanders-sign-up.3810578/
I did some Google-ing and came up with the following - hopefully someone with experience can confirm or deny:
  • Olivanders in Hogsmeade is standby only. The let so many groups in line, then close it off
  • In diagon, you have to sign up. There was an image posted with the signup area circled. I believe that is the Gregorvitch wand shop.
ETA: I don't think the signup is in the Gregorvitch shop, it sounds like there is a TM with a clip board in that general area. Most of the reports I see just say there will be a TM with a clip board "around the corner from Olivander's"

Best advice is - go to the HP area and ask a TM.

Last edited:
Thank you for everyone's comments! Quick followup: If we start with IOA for Hogrids (which is a priority) during Early hours, should we do the rest of the IOA Harry Potter rides and then immediately switch over to US via Hogswarts Express? Or, is it better to stick with all the IOA rides for a portion of the day to minimize going back and forth?

Thank you for everyone's comments! Quick followup: If we start with IOA for Hogrids (which is a priority) during Early hours, should we do the rest of the IOA Harry Potter rides and then immediately switch over to US via Hogswarts Express? Or, is it better to stick with all the IOA rides for a portion of the day to minimize going back and forth?
Hmmmm, one day with EP... on Thanksgiving weekend.

I think I would get to IoA an hour before the Early Park opening time and head to Hargid's first. After that, use EP at Forbidden Journey. At that point, you'll probably have a bit of time before the Hogwart's Express opens up. You could use that time to ride Flight of the Hippogriff coaster (short, 'kiddie' coaster, but we like it for what it is), explore Hogsmeade, or start walking towards the next area of IoA you want to explore.

I think your decision will have to be based on your priorities. If the HP rides are a priority, you might want to take the train over to USO and ride Gringott's. At that point, I'd stay in USO and do everything you want to do there - that will likely take up a good chunk of the day. I'd pick a direction walk that park as 'one way' as possible, hitting the rides you want as you pass them. That's easy with EP.

Taking the train can eat up some time if you don't get lucky with the timing. EP helps, but if you just missed a train, it takes some time for the next one to show up, unload, load, and leave.

If HP rides are the priority, you probably will want to ride the Hogwart's Express back to Hogsmeade. If so, make the full loop back to the London area and ride the train back over to IoA. Once again, check your priority list - if Seuss is the next priority, head that way. If JP or Kong is the priority, head that way.

Also, during the day, I'd check the app for a virtual queue at Hagrid's and try to grab one for early evening. Trying to get the timing right might be difficult, but it's your best bet at trying to ride that twice.

I think the biggest slowdown you will hit in your day is food, so try to plan for off times. Or, if you see a short line somewhere and it's close to when you might be hungry, take advantage.

So, the key question is - what are your ride/attraction/show/food priorities?

Last edited:
Hmmmm, one day with EP... on Thanksgiving weekend.

I think I would get to IoA an hour before the Early Park opening time and head to Hargid's first. After that, use EP at Forbidden Journey. At that point, you'll probably have a bit of time before the Hogwart's Express opens up. You could use that time to ride Flight of the Hippogriff coaster (short, 'kiddie' coaster, but we like it for what it is), explore Hogsmeade, or start walking towards the next area of IoA you want to explore.

I think your decision will have to be based on your priorities. If the HP rides are a priority, you might want to take the train over to USO and ride Gringott's. At that point, I'd stay in USO and do everything you want to do there - that will likely take up a good chunk of the day. I'd pick a direction walk that park as 'one way' as possible, hitting the rides you want as you pass them. That's easy with EP.

Taking the train can eat up some time if you don't get lucky with the timing. EP helps, but if you just missed a train, it takes some time for the next one to show up, unload, load, and leave.

If HP rides are the priority, you probably will want to ride the Hogwart's Express back to Hogsmeade. If so, make the full loop back to the London area and ride the train back over to IoA. Once again, check your priority list - if Seuss is the next priority, head that way. If JP or Kong is the priority, head that way.

Also, during the day, I'd check the app for a virtual queue at Hagrid's and try to grab one for early evening. Trying to get the timing right might be difficult, but it's your best bet at trying to ride that twice.

I think the biggest slowdown you will hit in your day is food, so try to plan for off times. Or, if you see a short line somewhere and it's close to when you might be hungry, take advantage.

So, the key question is - what are your ride/attraction/show/food priorities?
This is great information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter