Dznyjenn's Trip Report 4/22 Western LONG

Nursechell: I'm not sure of the brand-name of the sunscreen, it was Eeyoregon's. Maybe if she's watching this thread, she'll remember. To be fair, I don't think any of us reapplied after swimming..and we forgot my poor DH altogether. :rolleyes1

mom2dil: A roy rogers is a boy's version of a shirley temple, I think. Again, eeyoregon would be the expert. I'm a happy camper with diet coke, and would never order anything more exotic than that. But she suggested a shirley temple (I think) for my DD-11 and the boys tried it. She told them a boy's Shirley Temple was a Roy Rogers. It had something to do with soda and cherries...I just wish Ivelina would have said "I don't know what that is, but I'll check" instead of saying "We don't have that." Eeyoregon knew right away that was ridiculous, and spoke to either Sameer or Fitz about it.

Thanks for the nice comments about my trip reports. I've always enjoyed telling stories through writing or speaking, and my scrapbooking instincts have just kicked in with these reports. I promise I'll get the Castaway Cay and debarkation reports up soon!

Jeast..LOL..I promise I'll get the last two days up soon! I didn't get home until 2am last night, had to relocate a 2 year old out of my bed, and feed a 3 month old....slept for 4 hours and then the 2 year old got up. I've been napping on/off while Sleeping Beauty plays...and then it's time to head back to work and do it all over again, although tonight I get off at midnight instead of 1am!

To whet your appetite though...the morning dawned bright and clear, with our hired photographer standing on the pier just outside the gangplank..ready to photograph our lovely children for one hour before the beaches became busy and footprinty..

I'm quite thinking of never getting off the ship again, except for Castaway Cay. Friday at CC made up for all of the disappointments of Paradise Beach in Cozumel, and the aggressive, hostile taxi drivers in Grand Cayman, and even the tantrums and poor behavior of the 2 year old.

Can't wait to tell you about it!! :goodvibes

I love, love, love your trip reports....

I just wanted to ask(ok I am sure you will fill us in, but now I am curious) about the private photo session. Did the fee include any characters(I WISH) and any free prints? Or was it just the photographer for a hour? We are traveling with a group of 12 and am leaning toward looking into this.
Thanks,
Beth

I am dying to hear more! I have checked your page twice today in anticipation of hearing the castaway cay report! You have a great way in telling a story- lots of detail and humor! Cant wait but will be heart broken when it comes to an end!

I have really enjoyed your TR, :sunny: You are a great story teller :thumbsup2 Thanks for your time and detail. :flower3:

Thank you all for your kind words about my trip reports, and I apologize for them not being as timely as I'd hoped. My new job is kicking my butt schedule-wise...and it's hard to find the time to upload photos and sit down for long writing sessions!

As I said, The morning of Castaway Cay dawn bright and beautiful! I peered out our porthole and saw two photographers standing by a tram. Wondered if I was being given a bonus, but realized later that a wedding was happening. The family all dressed back up in the coordinating clothing we had worn yesterday (jeans and blue button-shirts for the guys, white shirts and jeans for the girls, denim dress for Delanie) I know, I know...have already gotten comments at work that we were at the BEACH..and the clothing choice may have been odd...but the clothes were picked BEFORE I knew we could do the beach. So there!

We met the photographer, Ovi, just off the ship. He was very nice, and jumped in immediately to help me get the stroller on/off the tram, as DH was focused on Casadie. We chatted with him, and I told him what I was hoping for..just nice family portraits, not necessarily with "Disney" in them...he said we'd go to the boat beach, as it was pretty empty at 9:30am. To answer some earlier questions...the fee only covered the photographer's "sitting fee" as it were, and I believe it was $85.00. There were no characters, and no complimentary shots. I suppose we could have waited in line at one of the many characters we passed, but I was really striving for classy family photos, not Disney-fied photos. I think to "hire" characters, you're looking at well over $500-$800 for a 1/2 hour set. We had Mickey and Minnie at our wedding reception in 2000, and I think it was almost $1000.

100_3486.jpg

He was patient, and kind...and creative. He had some great shot ideas, and overall, the photos turned out pretty nice. We had a problem with sun...and my DS kept making goofy faces as he was squinting into the sun. About half of the shots eventually were ruined because of this. If I had a ton of money, I would have bought them all, and photoshopped a better face onto him. :rotfl2:

Grandma showed up during the shoot and asked for a Grandma/Grandkids shot. Of course Ovi obliged, and got a very nice shot of all of them. Casadie wasn't exactly cooperative, but we got some true-life shots of all of us focused on her.

9f77706f.jpg

e70d7fad.jpg

084b612c.jpg

33a41e83.jpg

6ab3b414.jpg

dd4fe236.jpg

15e22dc7.jpg

We said goodbye to Ovi, and asked him to print all the photos in 6x8 for us to review. He said he'd keep them behind the counter and not put them out on display.

Grandma rescued Delanie from the hot sun, and took her back to the ship. We had time reserved in Flounders, but Grandma decided to keep her and called to cancel.
The rest of us went to the restrooms to change, and took turns chasing Casadie down while we all got ready. DD-11 accidentally walked into the men's room while looking for Casadie (Sorry to anyone in there when she screamed! :lmao: )
We slathered ourselves with sunscreen and headed for the already crowded family beach.

Shockingly, we found two beach chairs with umbrella, back near the foliage occupied by only a wet, discarded towel. I heard the echoes of the chair-saving thread in my head, and staked out our territory. No one ever approached us to say that was their chair! Yay!!

We told the big kids to go splash and cool down for a while, but to stay close because we had Castaway Ray's Stingray adventure coming up at noon. DH played in the sand with Casadie, and before long, I collected the big kids and headed to the teen beach.

Eeyoregon and her boys were already there, so we got our snorkel gear and headed in for a learning portion. We learned about different types of rays, size, sex, feeding habits, etc. Before long, it was time to head to the water. They had several feeding stations set up in shallow, knee-deep water. The rays are trained to aim for Mickey-shaped targets, and they glide over them and your hand, and suck the little fish right out of your fingers. VERY COOL! I don't have any of my water camera pictures developed yet, so hopefully I can add more photos to this thread later..but here's a Shutters photo of me and my ray.

62a0a23a.jpg

After feeding them, we were able to snorkel at leisure. This was fun, and relaxing, but I didn't see anything particularly cool. A few rays..(once feeding was done, they retreated and dug into the sand for the most part) and a school of white/translucent fish.

We headed back to the family beach. DS-14 went to snorkel in the lagoon while DD-11 went into swim. I tried for quite a while to find DH and DD, and finally found them getting ready to eat (or just returning from eating?? I'm confused) DH said that the BBQ was closing soon ..I hadn't paid very good attention to other things in the navigator, focused only on my photo session and Castaway Rays.

We went to grab a tray for me, and DH went to look for DS and DD so they could eat. He found DD, but not DS. We loaded up a tray for him, and I went out again to look for him. I would like to apologize to anyone who was horrified at the sight of a plus size woman jogging down the family beach. :rolleyes1 :wave2:

Successfully found him, and sat and ate a ton while we watched them "board up" Cookie's BBQ.

DH and DS then headed out to their Eco-Tour Jet Ski excursion and me and the two DD headed back to swim. Again, I wish I had more photos to share with you, but once I get my water camera developed, I'll come back to post some more.

The boys had a great time on the jet ski. DS was not quite old enough to pilot one by himself, so he rode double with Dad. DH said it tended to lean right and he was constantly readjusting for this annoyance, but overall it was great. Grandma happened to be on deck on the Magic, and caught this great shot of my handsome guys!

100_0122.jpg

We rounded up everyone and headed back. DD-11 worried that if we didn't get back to the boat by 5pm exactly, they would leave without us. I pointed out the hundreds of people walking around us, and said they wouldn't leave us all, but if they DID..we could catch the Wonder back tomorrow! :thumbsup2

Waited in a HUGE line to board the ship, and DD-2 caught sight of Donald and Daisy. Super cute!
100_3508.jpg

We got ready as much as our poor tired, sunburned bodies would allow, and visited the Farewell show. Freddy Fusion was awesome..never saw him before, but I think the highlight for all of us was Lynn Trefzger, the ventriloquist. Our entire group was rolling with laughter at the "I like Orange" mom, the "I'm a studmuffin" young man, and the "I do nothing" father bit...So hilarious. It's become a new family "thing" to tap each other on the shoulder and speak for people..mostly "I like orange...IlikeblueIlikeredIlikegreen..I LOVE Orange.." Too funny!

Back to the cabin..realize exactly how LITTLE time we have left, and begin to frantically THROW crap (I mean stuff...) into our suitcases. Give up, get ready for dinner.

Animator's Palate the last night was very nice. Even Ivelina was on her game this night I think..or at least I didn't notice anything off. Did not have all my tip envelopes ready (there was a mistake with our prepaid vouchers, since I had moved cabins...My mother's cabin steward had no vouchers..) I told the serving team that I would be bringing them the next morning.

Eeyoregon got "nothing for dessert.." We wondered if we would ever see this! It was fun! When Sameer brought me my standard plate of plain noodles, Eeyoregon took a picture of us.
100_3532.jpg

100_3553.jpg

100_3556.jpg

After dinner..it was back to frantic packing to have everything in the hall by 11pm. The ship started rocking really really bad...I heard lots of comments about the Captain must have a hot date to get back for...GEEZ! It was the first time the whole trip that I had to take my Bonine.

Went up to shutters to look at our family photos. Before they brought them out, several Shutters Cast Members mentioned how good they turned out. That was nice. No counter space available, so had to sit on the floor to go through them. The wedding couple did the same thing a few feet away from us. My one suggestion here...maybe on the last night, they could put tables out in the hallway for people to spread out and make decisions..I can't tell you how many times I was stepped on. I felt bad being in the way, but we had more than 50 shots to review..it was tough.

We spent way more money than we had planned on photos..and then headed to the gift shop to blow the rest of our cash on souvenirs. Oy. Carried the considerably heavy bags back to our room, and finished up the packing. All the souvenirs and pictures went into the one large bag that we were going to keep with us. All others successfully got put outside. The motion of the ocean had gotten so bad that I felt like I had to go to bed to get past it. Sure enough, it felt better to lay down.

The next morning, we finished up the tip envelopes, got dressed in record time, and headed up to Animator's Palate for our last breakfast. As usual, we were the last ones there. (Thank goodness it was all our family!) We said our goodbyes to Sameer (He is leaving the magic..had only two weeks left and going back to India).

100_3562.jpg

Cried of course, as we left the boat, got crazy overwhelmed downstairs while finding our luggage and getting past customs and started laughing when our limo driver said "There you are..I'd recognize THAT pile of luggage anywhere! You promised you wouldn't go shopping!"

100_3568.jpg

Cried a little more as the Magic disappered from view. Starting plotting (silently of course) how to make it happen again next year!

Got home and unloaded the bags..had to hurry and start loads of laundry because I had to go to work the next day. Took Eeyoregon and her boys to Saratoga Springs and got them checked in.

All in all, even with tantrums, it was a magical time! Can't wait to do it again!

Great report and great writing! I really felt like I was with you. Sorry that it's over!

Enjoyed reading what I missed on this trip. You did far more then we did, &you had a baby. I had a ten year old baby. :rolleyes:

Great pictures of your family.

Loved your trip report - thank you for taking the time to write it out. I keep meaning to do ours from December... loved the pictures, too. How great for Grandma to be there to keep the little ones ... I know she loved having baby-time! Grandmas are like that, eh?!

Thank you for writing the trip report! Makes the time go by faster until it is our turn again!

Kelly

OMG.... it is a small world after all.
I was happily reading through your trip report when I looked at your pictures and ....moved closer to the screen....I know her....I know him....OMG.
Its Sam. HI we shared your table on the wonder last year. Sounds like you had a great time and ive finally got to see your family (including the one you were keeping warm last year).
Say hi to your DH from me.
in case you cant remember which one was me. I have ginger hair and my DH was ill and didnt make it to AP on the last night.

Hi there Tiggery! :wave2: You're right, what a small world! So nice to hear from you!

I recently received an email from Melissa who was also at our table...I guess everyone's been itching for their next cruise and feeling nostalgic for the Wonder! :love:

I'll be waiting to read YOUR trip report! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter