DVC travel with infants

mydogdrew

DIS Veteran
We have 7 month twin boys and will be home in February. Any advice for activities? Also interested in suggestions for air travel with little ones. Thanks!

We will also be in disney with a 3-4 month old baby in August 2009. We will be travelling with our two moms (60 and 65 respectively) and our twin sons (will be 5 at the time of our trip).

Our goal is to stay in the Epcot resort area, BWVs or BCVs.

We do not have high expectations of seeing much of any of the parks but I would like advice on what my wife and I could do with the baby in tow to enjoy our stay.

I am sure the grandmoms will be spoiling the boys and taking them where ever they want to go, so this is not an issue for us.

Any advice is grealty appreciated.

Goto the parks early (ie: rope drop!).. take it easy for the morning and return to your room for a morning nap/swim.
When we fly we always wait until the last minute to board the plane. I usually go on first, pack everything away and get settled and my wife stays outside the gate until the last call. We also bring a few new items on board with us (new pack of crayons, hot wheels, etc) to occupy him during the flight. Granted your sons will be younger than ours so you might want to adjust accordingly! Just remember to relax and have a great time!

find the Baby Care center in each Park. (Although MK is best/biggest) They can be a nice break from always being in the action of the park. (and have better changing areas than the restrooms (although the park restroom tables are much better than most public restrooms)

If you have the Disney Visa and the kiddos are cooperating, stop by the Visa only character greet in one of the innovations (EPCOT)

If you fly, it helps to bring a special snack or a bottle to get the little ones to swallow at takeoff and landing--so they don't get an earache.

We've done a little traveling with our son, but we haven't taken him to WDW yet. We're planning on going next year--he'll be almost three. I hope he's old enough to enjoy it, but to be honest the trip is more for us. :)

Almost forgot--At the end of DS's first flight we asked if we could take a photo of him in the cockpit. The crew was happy to oblige and even let him wear the captain's hat. We have a great shot of DS sitting on DH's lap with the hat on. Only problem--he was so intrigued by the buttons and lights we could never get him to look directly at the camera.
454884335_Vm9nb-XL.jpg

Also, not a problem for yours since they're under one, but for older babies on layovers--there were several places to buy juice, but we couldn't find any place that sold milk--whole or otherwise. That one may be obvious, but it was a surprise to us.

We have had very god luck at WDW and Flying. Our Daughter has been three times now; 8 months, 10 months and 20 months.
We flew every time and direct flights are FAR FAR better than a flight with stops or plane switches.
Bringing a bottle or nunnie for take-off and landing is good for ears. Timing flights (if you can) so the child is asleep on take-off or landing is even better.
Travel days will be a bit of an emotional issue due to the child coming off their normal routine but patience and things to occupy them are very helpful. Portable DVDs are well worth the investment.
Also as pinted out, finding milk on layovers can be an issue. You are now allowed to bring one (maybe even more) baby bottle(s) with any liquid you want in them, but allow more time to have them get sniffer checked to ensure they are not bomb making liquids.

In the parks, don't plan to do more than one or two things. Anything extra is just bonus. DO NOT miss naps or feeding times if you have a routine. Allow extra time to get the children to bed.

Most of all take plenty of pictures and video, these trips are the absolute best and the pictures and video will provide memories for you and a great perspective for the children as they grow up.

HAVE FUN HAVE FUN HAVE FUN

We have had very god luck at WDW and Flying. Our Daughter has been three times now; 8 months, 10 months and 20 months.
We flew every time and direct flights are FAR FAR better than a flight with stops or plane switches.
Bringing a bottle or nunnie for take-off and landing is good for ears. Timing flights (if you can) so the child is asleep on take-off or landing is even better.
Travel days will be a bit of an emotional issue due to the child coming off their normal routine but patience and things to occupy them are very helpful. Portable DVDs are well worth the investment.
Also as pinted out, finding milk on layovers can be an issue. You are now allowed to bring one (maybe even more) baby bottle(s) with any liquid you want in them, but allow more time to have them get sniffer checked to ensure they are not bomb making liquids.

In the parks, don't plan to do more than one or two things. Anything extra is just bonus. DO NOT miss naps or feeding times if you have a routine. Allow extra time to get the children to bed.

Most of all take plenty of pictures and video, these trips are the absolute best and the pictures and video will provide memories for you and a great perspective for the children as they grow up.

HAVE FUN HAVE FUN HAVE FUN

I cannot imagine a bad "hop" with kids vs a direct flight. It's bad enough with adults.

With a direct flight, you have to worry about on-times at 3 airports (where the plane is arriving from, your airport, and the final destination airport.) When you have a hop, that adds another 2 airports into the mix (unless you stay on the same plane). And when there's a weather delay 2 hours doubles into 4 due to the extra planes involved...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter