Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

DVC Mike

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Comparing OKW and SSR

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Compare/CompOKWtoSSR.png

Old Key West (OKW) and Saratoga Springs Resort (SSR) are two DVC resorts that share many similarities. Both are located adjacent to each other in the Downtown Disney area. Both are standalone DVC resorts not attached to a deluxe hotel. Both are very large (the two largest DVC properties) and spread-out. Both are quiet and have lovely landscaping.

Each has fans who love the resort, as demonstrated by the "OKW Lovers" and "SSR Lovers and Owners" threads here in the DVC Resorts forum.

From what I can tell, OKW fans love the large rooms, inexpensive Grand Villas, and the very laid back and relaxing atmosphere (homey). SSR fans love the closeness to Downtown Disney, the pools, the quietness, and the beautiful grounds.

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Compare/OKWVsSSR_1.png​

Most people would say choosing one resort over the other would be a toss-up due to the many similarities. However, there are still some significant differences between these two DVC resorts, so I’ve added a poll to find out which one people prefer.

Below is a chart comparing the two resorts.

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Compare/OKWSSRCompare_1.png
My opinionated comparison​

Below are links to each resort's post on the DVC Resort Information thread, which contains more detailed information on each resort:

OKW Resort Information

SSR Resort Information

Which resort do you love the most?

http://i235.*************************************Misc/RelatedThreads.png

http://i235.************************************************************* DVC Mike - *******.com

I didn't vote because none of the choices fit our thoughts. We love each in their own way and see them as very similar in many ways. There are no DVC resorts on property that I see as good enough to be set on or bad enough to avoid. Each has their own charm with good and bad points. AKV and BWV are our current favorites but most of our stays the last few years have been at SSR through exchanges. I personally wouldn't do AKV, SSR or OKW without a car but I'd prefer a car for any or all of them.

I couldn't choose because we have yet to stay at OKW, that could change soon. We have been to many other resorts, and yes a car is handy but not necessary for us. A lot of our choice depends on who is going and their needs/ wants.

We have stayed at both 3 times--OKW earlier in our membership. We loved to save points! But now we prefer SSR and it really comes down to one thing. FOOD. :)
The counter service at SSR is far superior to OKW and having Downtown Disney just 10 minutes away with all those food options is really nice. OKW is a nice place to stay if you are using your kitchen, but if not, you have to plan your dinners for the week. We can only do Olivia's a couple times--good food but we do get tired of it.

OKW is beautiful, relaxing, and the rooms are spacious. However, we prefer SSR. Aside from the proximity to DTD and our love of Artist Palette, the two zero entry pools and the Paddock kids splash area are a must for our young family.

Tough pick. SSR has great pools, and excellent proximity to DD. Treehouse rooms give more space but they do take longer to get anywhere. OKW has a lot more room. I like how everything is around the hospitality house instead of spread around. Transportation to the parks have been fine at each but we usually have a car. We've stayed and not used it but it is nice to have. We've stayed at both multiple times and they each have their charms. Points are lower at OKW though.

I like SSR more mainly because of the two feature pools and the quick/counter service is indoors. I also like that the boat ride to Disney Springs is a little shorter.

With the new DTD getting a complete overhaul I would pick SSR.

I did not vote because I have never stayed at either resort. I have visited SSR and have used my points to book family members there. Personally, neither resort appeals to me all that much. I think we prefer DVC resorts that are attached to a deluxe resort because you get the resort feel. We own at BCV and love it. We have stayed at Jambo and enjoyed that. I think I would enjoy BWV also. I guess that if I had to choose SSR or OKW it would be SSR for its proximity to Disney Springs.

SSR is our home, and we love it. We have stayed at OKW, and it is a great resort, I think visually I like SSR better. Both resorts have that spread out layout, and I love to walk, so they both suit me fine.

We own OKW and have a BWV contract in ROFR right now. We like OKW and SSR both, but typically stay elsewhere. It seems like we visit during SWW, Flower Garden, etc. and prefer to be closer proximity to the parks we're visiting most.

We have two OKW contracts and actually debated selling one, but we likely are keeping them both because we fully use all of our points. We bought so low and would be spending a lot more to purchase a different resort.

I own at OKW and Love the resort. Saratoga I am not a fan of at all. To me it's not themed that great and looks more like a condominium complex than a Disney resort. But I guess that could be said for OKW as well. OKW has more of a relaxed lets not rush around vibe.

I have stayed more often at OKW, despite owning at SSR, due to the points value. Just returned from a Sat-Tues stay originally booked for a Studio at OKW near hospitality house. Booked back in March for a Sept stay and did online check in at earliest point possible. When we arrived to OKW around noon, our room was not ready yet.....no biggie...hung by pool and got a text around 2:00 with room number. DH and I went over to unload car and it was an accessible room with roll-in shower and low shower head. I immediately called front desk, only to be told they were completely sold out and could not move us. This was unacceptable to me given the fact that official check-in time was not until 4:00 and I'm sure there were some guests that had not even arrived yet. I called DVC member services who told me I needed to deal with the resort since we were already checked in. After alot of back and forth with OKW manager, we were moved to SSR. We ended up getting upgraded to a 2 bedroom villa which worked out great with 2 15 year old girls! SSR could not have been nicer and more accommodating! Cannot quite say the same for OKW which was very disappointing. We stayed in the Paddock area and utilized the Paddock pool! It worked out great in the end, but not so magical at OKW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter