• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Purchase...Right or Wrong for Us

And if DVCholds to the requirement for new buyers to purchase at least 100 pt direct? Is resale an option? Since you are going every other year for 7 nights that discounted AP's aren't really a factor and that's the biggest benefit of direct. And benefits can and do change. Even on a small contract at BLT it would still be saving a couple thousand dollars vs the $225/pt direct price. That can be handy when that baby comes along!
DVC Guide I spoke with stated minimum was still 75 points to get member benefits. May need to clarify this is accurate for all resorts and not just some. It is true that I am overvaluing these vs. just going the resale route. I guess I am the person that, even though knows they are not getting the best deal, feels better knowing they are a full perks direct member, even if only part is long term.
Just make sure the finances work for both regular Disney vacations (they are expensive) and kids (they make Disney vacations look cheap). Everything, including travel, will become more expensive with children. I dreaded buying park passes when mine became Disney adults. Make sure that your kid expenses (everything from daycare to car insurance to college) and your post kid income (if one of you decides to stay home) are going to not put you in the red. And remember, life throws curveballs - kids increase the quantity coming over the plate.
Very good points to consider, thank you for sharing!

DVC Guide I spoke with stated minimum was still 75 points to get member benefits.
75 is the minimum to get benefits correct. However, technically the rule is 100 points are the minimum purchase for a new member (essentially you own no points--resale or direct--or you are getting a new UY). There are a few resorts where the minimum for a new member is below 100: OKW-50, HHI-75, SSR-50, VB-75. They have been known to get approval to go below 100 on the other resorts (typically only to 75) but it isn't normally something offered without some pushback.

75 is the minimum to get benefits correct. However, technically the rule is 100 points are the minimum purchase for a new member (essentially you own no points--resale or direct--or you are getting a new UY). There are a few resorts where the minimum for a new member is below 100: OKW-50, HHI-75, SSR-50, VB-75. They have been known to get approval to go below 100 on the other resorts (typically only to 75) but it isn't normally something offered without some pushback.
Maybe it's one of those situations where it depends who you get as your guide and how push you are. I was very up front with the fact I was only looking for the range of 75-80 points. "Well we don't advertise it, but we can make it happen."

A couple thoughts... If you are only going every other year, would you consider staying 8-10 nights instead of 7? I look at the cost of transportation (flights, rental car) as more of a fixed rate. An extra 10 points a night for a studio at OKW really doesn't cost but $75 +/- night for dues - not counting your "buy in". Even when our son was young, we always planned a couple "down" days spent at the pool, monorail resort hopping or at Disney Springs which sometimes turned out to be our favorite memories. We try to have a few easy, inexpensive meals in our villa to stretch our vacation dollar. 100 points vs 75 points means you will shell out a bit more initially, however you may save $15 or more per point with approximately the same closing costs. This is long term purchase and cheaper to do it now...rather than pay closing costs again. Make sure you get a loaded contract with banked and current points so you are always rolling points forward and if you need a bigger villa one year or decide to splurge on a two week stay you'll be ready. Good luck!

Points to consider (pun intended):

IMO - 150-200 points is optimal for your situation. We have 160 pts/ Sept UY at BLT. Love, love, love it.

1. More resale contracts / UY available in this range.
2. Price per pt is better than small contracts.
3. Additional point buffer against possible point reallocation's.
4. Easy to sell if you change your mind.
5. You will eventually experience a 1 BR and once that happens, well .....
6. You can rent your extra points to cover MF's until you start using them for Item 5 above.
7. More options for other resorts at 7 months when you have more points.
8. Vacation styles change. We started out doing 9-11 nts, now do 4-5 nights and drive all the time.
9. More options to bring family/friends with a few more points.

Best of luck with your decision process.

Maybe it's one of those situations where it depends who you get as your guide and how push you are. I was very up front with the fact I was only looking for the range of 75-80 points. "Well we don't advertise it, but we can make it happen."

This is true - I have a friend IRL who bought 50 points direct at Poly when they were mainly selling Poly.

For 75 points, direct might be worth it depending on the following factors: being grandfathered in (at least for new resorts with those points) + not having to deal with ROFR + getting points right away + picking your UY + relative scarcity of small BLT contracts; you can add on resale later if you want.

ETA: the resale restrictions even on the L14 are something to think about as 2042 draws closer. OP sounds like a younger buyer, so being restricted to SSR, OKW, AKV, and the MK area (no EP or HS near resorts) at 7 mo might not be something you'd want. Then again, as a BLT owner myself, I'd be fine if I could only use those points to stay at BLT, but it's something to think about.

I'd also add that BLT standard is about the lowest point cost for the proximity to MK, and you will need home resort for standard view almost any time of year.

For UY - going in September is a great way to stretch your points, but as your kid(s) get to school age, you may end up needing to go earlier in the summer. August UY is doable, but June UY might also be good if schools in your area start in August; then you'll still have some flexibility of when to go in the summer. February is the most common UY in BLT resale contracts, you might want to consider that, which would still give you the summer and spring break if that might be a good time for you too.

If you are a planner and can see going every other year and be fine with that, you are a perfect candidate for DVC. Buying direct first is good to get annual pass benefits . You can add on later resale if points are not enough . Use year very important, resort choice also very important.

Thank you to everyone who has responded with their feedback thus far!

One last thing, and this is now going in the totally opposite direction. One other thing I've learned is that Saratoga is, for one reason or another, not very well liked, and plentiful bargains are to be had on the resale market. Has anyone gone the, buy a 150-200 points and use for 7 month 1 bedroom booking way of things? And been successful? I know there is a predicting availability thread on here and 1 bedrooms seem to be the most available when booking at 7 months. This is one reason I would consider resale, if the points could get me a 1 bedroom at places such as BLT.

I don't completely dislike Saratoga, but it would not be in my top 5 of places to stay.

One last thing, and this is now going in the totally opposite direction. One other thing I've learned is that Saratoga is, for one reason or another, not very well liked, and plentiful bargains are to be had on the resale market. Has anyone gone the, buy a 150-200 points and use for 7 month 1 bedroom booking way of things? And been successful? I know there is a predicting availability thread on here and 1 bedrooms seem to be the most available when booking at 7 months. This is one reason I would consider resale, if the points could get me a 1 bedroom at places such as BLT.

I don't completely dislike Saratoga, but it would not be in my top 5 of places to stay.

You'll find a few people on the boards that have done this. Recently we've been doing more studios and 2BR's because of traveling with family for RunDisney events but when we were booking 1BR's I was really believing we could have or rather should have bought SSR and been just fine with booking at 7 months. When you plan on going can play a big part of what resorts you can find available at 7 months. With flexibility there are 7 months bookings to be had for 2BR's and sometimes studios too but the studios are much more dependent on the time of the year. Also just about SSR I find that it's really growing into itself and the refurb with the pull down murphy bed/sofa is a bit of a game changer IMO.

I'm sure you also did the numbers but just wanted to confirm that you realized you could get around 100 BLT points resale vs 75 direct? I just find it hard to justify the direct prices of some of the resorts, including BLT, for minor direct benefits.

Any feedback, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated!
It does sound like you have thought through your purchase. Just a couple thoughts. First off you don't have to put off vacations just because of kids. Secondly you want to travel in September. That is a great time to go, but once kids come into the picture and start school or extracurricular activities your travel times might be limited to school vacations. this might factor in when choosing a UY. This also would increase your point needs if you have to travel at a different time of year. Really to know the points you need to buy i suggest looking at Davids DVC rental site - they have a great point cost calculator which gives you all the resorts and room categories at a glance. You can plug in different dates to see how the points cost changes.

Considering your travel habits of going every other year, i would consider starting out with a resale contract to save a bit of money or to be able to buy more points for the same amount of money going direct. But if you really want to spend more and go direct I would play out your purchase to get the so called "extra points". this means if you wanted to buy a September UY then you would want to purchase in July or August - this would essentially get you "extra points" at a prorated MF. So for example you want to buy a Sept UY today, we are in the 2018 UY for any September contracts. So if you bought direct you would get 2018 points and as part of the purchase you would have them bank those points.

End of Sept falls during Fall Frenzy. So make sure you love the resort where you buy your points. It might be the only place you get to stay. Unless you start booking one bedrooms.

"Well we don't advertise it, but we can make it happen."
I asked about 75 points at VGF and my guide did not question it at all. He even told me if say only 50 came in initially, I could buy that and then I could wait for the additional points to come in. I eventually decided to waitlist 110 points, but maybe it depends on the guide?

Hello all!

New to the forum but have been following for a few months. To get straight to the point, my wife and I are debating buying into DVC. Between the DVC show and this forum, I have learned so much, and already answered a lot of my previous questions. What I was looking for is to get feedback from the forum on our situation to help guide us as to if it's the right fit.

- Routinely do 7 night trip every other year. Typically late Sept time frame.
- Used to staying/spending at moderate priced resorts (French Quarter/Caribbean Beach).
- We are planners, like to book a year out.
- Planning to have first child in next 2-3 years (this would put a temporary halt on vacations).
- Looking to start with a small 75-80 point contract. If we continue to enjoy, add more on as children come of age.
- Intention is to bank/borrow and stay every other year at home property (deluxe studio) to get most value from the points.
- Based on my research, 150 - 160 points seems to be adequate for 11 month booking window of deluxe studios every other year?

Any feedback, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated!
It seems you fit the profile, if you can pay cash I don't see any reason why not. I do think I'd buy a significant cushion of points and I'd definitely buy resale giving up the perks/discounts for this situation. I'd likely look at around 150 points roughly. Just do some more thought and research on home resort. I'd get the cheapest home resort that fits my needs, SSR if you want to try things over time. BLT should be the second cheapest long term because of the dues and even better if you take advantage of the standard view rooms.

I asked about 75 points at VGF and my guide did not question it at all. He even told me if say only 50 came in initially, I could buy that and then I could wait for the additional points to come in. I eventually decided to waitlist 110 points, but maybe it depends on the guide?
Small numbers of points don't go very far at VGF. Especially when studios are so hard to book there because there are so few.

It seems you fit the profile, if you can pay cash I don't see any reason why not. I do think I'd buy a significant cushion of points and I'd definitely buy resale giving up the perks/discounts for this situation. I'd likely look at around 150 points roughly. Just do some more thought and research on home resort. I'd get the cheapest home resort that fits my needs, SSR if you want to try things over time. BLT should be the second cheapest long term because of the dues and even better if you take advantage of the standard view rooms.
150-160 points at BLT (resale) would put me out of budget. However that same amount of points at SSR would still be within my budget and would put me in the 1 bedroom point contention for every other year use (7 month window).

The downside I see doing it this way is SSR deed expires sooner than BLT, and at 150-160 points, higher maintenance dues no matter what resort (compared to my original plan of 75 direct from Disney).

Small numbers of points don't go very far at VGF. Especially when studios are so hard to book there because there are so few.
Thank you! I am looking to start with just a few nights. I tend to split my trips between Epcot/MK resorts so I am just trying to cover that MK split for now with the intention to add-on resale in the future.

Some people have done this and right now its working. But it could change. You are buying for the long term. Disney has made some indication that they may raise the price of studios and lower the price of one bedrooms - that could significantly change how availability at seven months work. Also, as more people decide they need enough points for one bedrooms to be able to stay at BCV/BWV/BRV/BLT etc., demand will change. Right now, there is a lot of people who have points for studios, but not one bedrooms - due to a lot of factors. Over the next few years, some of those people will add on points to increase their booking flexibility.

In other words, that works today, but it isn't necessarily going to be as true five years from now as it is right now.

Yes, sorry, to add more info to my post, the "adequate points needed" range was based off of a September stay at BLT in a studio.

If you plan on having children, then I'd suggest using points requirements during the summer as your baseline. I know that there are some people who have no problem with their kids missing school to go on vacations (we are not such a family), but that gets harder as they get older and school demands increase.

With children in the picture, I would at least plan around having enough points for travel when school is not in session.

150-160 points at BLT (resale) would put me out of budget. However that same amount of points at SSR would still be within my budget and would put me in the 1 bedroom point contention for every other year use (7 month window).

The downside I see doing it this way is SSR deed expires sooner than BLT, and at 150-160 points, higher maintenance dues no matter what resort (compared to my original plan of 75 direct from Disney).
Then you might want to wait and buy later. I don't think the expiration many years down the road is a reasonable consideration but how you'll use it is. You may not be able to get a studio consistently and many find they go more than they thought they would. IMO buying retail now just enough then adding on later is a poor plan. It's unlikely in your situation that you'll get enough benefits from the discounts and perks to buy retail. But maybe 120 or so points instead. Whether SSR itself is a good choices depends on how you'll use it, it you want one resort most times you may want to buy that resort, if you want to just try things over time, esp if you're OK with SSR, SSR would be best.

Why not consider buying resale now - where you want to stay in a studio or 1 BR and then consider buying a 75 point contract (or whatever it is in the future) at a new resort in a different area years from now when the "kids" are a bit older? You can then match up the UY rather than the other way around and you'll have a better idea of how you will use those points, how many extra you need and where you want to be.. If you feel BLT is out of reach have you considered BRV? It is a gorgeous resort and just a quick boat ride to MK and is priced aggressively right now with little chance of ROFR. It is 2042 (which sounded like FOREVER in the future when we bought OKW in 1996 and Wilderness (BRV) in 2000) and you can just "ride it out" or sell when you do your add on so you'll be set into retirement :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter