DVC pre-purchase advice

BLT is ALWAYS going to be harder to get than SSR. SSR is ALWAYS going to be cheaper to buy than BLT, probably by around $30/point minimum. So which is more important? Spending $3000+ and always getting into BLT or saving $3000+ and taking what you can get.

For points, don't be looking at the cheapest rooms because you are not going to get them most of the time. So use BWV garden view, BLT lake view and AKV savanna view and you'll have a better idea of the points you need.

If you're number one priority is to save money when purchasing and are happy taking whatever resort you can get, then buy SSR. And if you are going to book a lot within 7 months, buy SSR sine at that point you've lost your home resort booking advantage.

I'm also not a fan of owning off site resorts for using mostly at WDW.

Daddio has a list showing when to book rooms
http://www.dvcrequest.com/how_soon_should_i_reserve.htm

Good luck

BLT is ALWAYS going to be harder to get than SSR. SSR is ALWAYS going to be cheaper to buy than BLT, probably by around $30/point minimum. So which is more important? Spending $3000+ and always getting into BLT or saving $3000+ and taking what you can get.

For points, don't be looking at the cheapest rooms because you are not going to get them most of the time. So use BWV garden view, BLT lake view and AKV savanna view and you'll have a better idea of the points you need.

If you're number one priority is to save money when purchasing and are happy taking whatever resort you can get, then buy SSR. And if you are going to book a lot within 7 months, buy SSR sine at that point you've lost your home resort booking advantage.

I'm also not a fan of owning off site resorts for using mostly at WDW.

Daddio has a list showing when to book rooms
http://www.dvcrequest.com/how_soon_should_i_reserve.htm

Good luck

Great point about what room categories to use when making the estimates for point requirements. One issue I have with Daddio's list, however, is that if you'll notice, it basically says that you need the 11 month window for everything except a few room categories at AKV, OKW and SSR. While we know that these resorts are typically the ones with short notice availability, I think that an overwhelming amount of anecdotal evidence would suggest that other resorts are available at the 7 month window during many times of the year. I think that one needs to take that lists with a grain of salt as well as consider the time of year one is travelling to determine exactly how much (or little) these guidelines apply.

Here is my best advice based on my knowledge as an owner since 2001

1. Buy where you want to stay as your #1 priority. 11 mos window at BLT will be at a premium for several years. If this is your 1st choice, stick with it. SSR, OKW and at times, AKL will be available for 7 mos booking because of size alone.
2. Consider buying pts. from a reseller as well as direct. We bought 4 contracts direct, one recently from TSS(who I highly recommend for their professionalism).
3. Buy more pts if possible than you think you will need, your habits will change(at least ours did:thumbsup2) as we went from 2 adults/2 kids in studios to 2 adults/2 teens(who need their privacy as well as mom and dad)in 1 bedrooms. Plus, you may want to take friends/family and share your love of DVC/WDW. This will afford you the ability to continue the once a year trips, or longer trips, or better yet 2 or 3 trips a year(again, based on personal exp.;))
4. Its always nice to think you can book BCV, VWL, BWV, VB, HH, Aulani, GCV and soon to be GFV anytime slow season within 7 mos window(didn't include SSR, AKV or OKW for reason mentioned above, though this isn't scientific:rolleyes:)but this isnt 100% always the case. Waitlisting is an option, but doesn't always come through.
5. From your post, I was gathering you are thinking of buying into several different resorts. If I am wrong about this, sorry ahead of time, but if this is the case, my advice, don't do it. You will spend more time moving around than spending time having fun. Ex...we booked a studio at OKW, 2 nights to save pts for the weekend, relocated OKW in a 1 bed for remainder of trip. Thinking we are there, we wait til 11 to check out of studio, hoping to get into 1 bed soon after, we killed the day packing, waiting til 6pm to get into the 1 bed(our fault, we should have known better). To save pts we like to book at All Stars on weekend at start of trip, then move to our permanent DVC resort for remainder of trip.
6. Get your pts all in the same use year.
7. Finally,(you thought it was never going to end, didn't you:sad2:), don't use pts for cruise or trade for other timeshare besides DVC. Sounds good til you start looking at how many pts it takes to do so.

This again is all personal advice based on our individual needs and exp. through the years. I'm sure others have given better advice, and I value all theirs as well as I am still learning new things about DVC

My husband and I have been going to DW together every year (married the past 3) for the past 6 years and we forsee us going every year in the future. We have stayed at Pop and BLT over the years and really liked BLT. We think it is time to take the plunge into DVC :cool1:

We have done some research but need some advice. We typically visit DW in the slower times of the year; January/February/September and it is just the two of us; so we only need a studio. We will probably go in September most often.

1. We have it narrowed down to buy into BLT or SSR via resale. We are leaning toward SSR since it is cheaper, but fear if we do want to stay at BLT it will be hard to get a room in the above months. I don't know if it is a big deal since we plan on staying in multiple DVC resorts over the years like BCV/BWV/AKL at first. Here is how we ranked in order the resorts with the points we think we need:

Hotel Studio Points
Beach Club 107
Boardwalk 76
Bay Lake Tower 123
Animal Kingdom 102
Wilderness Lodge 107
Grand Floridian 123
Saratoga Springs 90
Old Key West 76

2. We think we need 110pts but that might be really hard to get. Would you get 120pts and be safe?

3. Is there a difference between TSS or ********** for buying dvc through?

Thanks for the help!:smokin:

I would suggest trying to get around 120 points. Early to mid Sept is an easier time to book DVC as is Jan and Feb. We have used OKW points to stay at almost all the resorts (will have done all east coast DVC by this Dec, except VGF). We added on HH (since that is tough to book for summer and we alternate years at beach and WDW) and AKV (for booking the value and standard view villas to save points...and because SIL owns AKV and we do many family trips). Certain views at BLT are tough to get at 7 month window...BWV is tough to get standard or BW view (we have always gotten garden/pool view)...BCV (and BWV) is tough to get at busy DVC times like F&W, they are smaller resorts and generally tougher to get (but not impossible)...AKV concierge and value villas are tough to get at 7 months out as well.

I do agree that your needs will change as your family grows. We went from planning to go to WDW twice every year and staying in 1BRs...to moving from NC to MD (and thereby cutting our trips to WDW back) and needing 2BRs because our 3 kids are now teens (need 2 bathrooms and separate bedroom for them to stay up late and sleep in late). We also used to be able to go end of Sept-beginning of Oct (we would do the week before F&W and had no trouble with 7 month window), when kids were in year-round schools in NC...now they are in traditional HS (here in MD) and our DDs play year-round club softball, so our vacation dates are very very limited (basically Xmas, Thanksgiving, the short winter semester break in Jan and 3 weeks in Aug).

Good luck on your hunt for a DVC contract!!

Age may be a factor for you.

We own BWV and love BWV - but we are in our late 40s and will be nearing 80 when the contract runs out. If you are in your 20s, BWV may not see you to grandkids. (It may not see me to grandkids, but that will be other issues, not the expiration date). For someone in their 20s a phase one resort (BWV, BCV, nonextended OKW, VWL) may not be a great choice.

Thanks for all of the responses!

After talking it over and weighing all of the options we have to decided to try and get points at BLT via resale!:cool1:

We didn't want to risk being "stuck" at SSR if nothing was available during the time we wanted.

Any tips/tricks on trying to find a resale since they seem to go pretty quick? I have been looking at the ROFR & Sales threads so I think I have a pretty good idea of what we want to pay.

Thanks!

We recently had the same thought... Didnt want to be Stuck anywhere. Sounds crazy coming out of my mouth, stuck at disney, but true. You may want to consider Beach Club or Animal Kingdom. Both more than SSR, but nice resorts, and happy medium price wise As far as resales.

You need to watch daily on the Link at the top of these pages... Be quick. You can lose one you like in a matter of minutes/hours. When you see it, call and tell them you are ready to go. If you offer ask price, then the owner must take it per the TSS process atleast. However, if you mess around, you may have multiple people trying to work deals too... we had a tough time haggling over 1, 2, 3 dollars per point after losing 3 contracts we wanted due to being too late. Just seemed more of a hassle and someone else was willing to pay ask.

We recently had the same thought... Didnt want to be Stuck anywhere. Sounds crazy coming out of my mouth, stuck at disney, but true. You may want to consider Beach Club or Animal Kingdom. Both more than SSR, but nice resorts, and happy medium price wise As far as resales.

You need to watch daily on the Link at the top of these pages... Be quick. You can lose one you like in a matter of minutes/hours. When you see it, call and tell them you are ready to go. If you offer ask price, then the owner must take it per the TSS process atleast. However, if you mess around, you may have multiple people trying to work deals too... we had a tough time haggling over 1, 2, 3 dollars per point after losing 3 contracts we wanted due to being too late. Just seemed more of a hassle and someone else was willing to pay ask.

Just want to make sure you know there's more than one resale broker, right? TSS is fantastic to work with, but I don't want to see you limit your buying pool to just one broker.

Thanks for all of the responses!

After talking it over and weighing all of the options we have to decided to try and get points at BLT via resale!:cool1:

We didn't want to risk being "stuck" at SSR if nothing was available during the time we wanted.

Any tips/tricks on trying to find a resale since they seem to go pretty quick? I have been looking at the ROFR & Sales threads so I think I have a pretty good idea of what we want to pay.

Thanks!

So you answered the question about what your risk tolerance is. :) I don't blame you. I bought BWV and BLT in order to have the 11 month advantage at both resorts...it was that important to me. But I frequently found that the rooms I wanted at those locations were available within 7 months, so I bought a SSR contract as well to use for just that purpose.

You simply need to keep on top of the listings and when you see one you like, act immediately. I once almost lost a deal because my full price offer was equal to another person's, but was time stamped 1 minute after theirs. Also, keep in mind that the ROFR thread prices reflect some of the better deals to be had, and if you are motivated by an easy purchase over savings then you might end up having to pay more than what is indicated there. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter