• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC point balancing 2022 vs 2021

Once again all members paying some "price" for the restrictions DVD places on resale buyers. At least I assume people have to call because they can't manage to screen eligibility for the discount to sell them online.
I read someone post that even resale owners who were doing the early booking had to call MS. Someone posted on DVC Fan that they got through on the regular line because they knew they didn't qualify for the discount....they were told they had to speak with MS as they were on a DVC booking. Not sure if this is the case or just an incorrect CM.

I read someone post that even resale owners who were doing the early booking had to call MS. Someone posted on DVC Fan that they got through on the regular line because they knew they didn't qualify for the discount....they were told they had to speak with MS as they were on a DVC booking. Not sure if this is the case or just an incorrect CM.

So you have to have a room reservation to buy the tickets? Otherwise what would it matter?

Do you still have hope of a revised 2022 chart for each resort?
Because of this, I personally, still have hope. I certainly hope Yvonne would not be lying on the issue.

I had my call today with Yvonne; it was only a few minutes.

She indicated they are moving forward with the reductions for the 2022 point charts in the "later part of the year where there is less demand" and are working on it getting approved with legal as well as imported into the systems. A "few more weeks" was the only timeline she gave.

One additional bit of information was that they went ahead and performed calculations on 2023 point charts; she indicated there will be "savings" over what would normally have been planned (will we ever really know what it was initially?) - but the big news is she said they would be "releasing 2023 point charts significantly earlier than normal" - I imagine as a response to the whiplash this has been causing them.

DVCMC may rent an unreserved DVC villa to the general public for cash 60 days or less prior to the check in date. The proceeds of these rentals are called "breakage", and are used to offset member dues.

The amount of breakage income is capped at 2.5% of the resort's operating budget. (It's not 2.5% of the total proceeds of the rentals). The amount over the cap goes to BVTC & DVCMC. (The detailed explanation of how the breakage cap is determined and distributed may be found in a Resort's POS).

The cap has been exceeded every year. We do not know how much ends up back in DVCMC's pocket. But since the cap is always exceeded, any increase in breakage benefits Disney, not members.

DVCMC can also create breakage at any point in the use year if analysis shows points are ‘unlikely’ to be rented by members. You can see where this clause allows for mischief at the expense of members. There is no third party review of the analysis

DVCMC can also create breakage at any point in the use year if analysis shows points are ‘unlikely’ to be rented by members. You can see where this clause allows for mischief at the expense of members. There is no third party review of the analysis
Good point. With all the points that went unused in the last year, one would expect they would suspend this practice, but they haven't ever explained how it works in the first place. Another thing where we would benefit from more transparency (and why they don't do it).

Good point. With all the points that went unused in the last year, one would expect they would suspend this practice, but they haven't ever explained how it works in the first place. Another thing where we would benefit from more transparency (and why they don't do it).

Its an arbitrary number...in order to establish how many points would go unused you would have to let them expire.

The disney assumption that at the current date its likely they will go unused is just plain wrong.

Its an arbitrary number...in order to establish how many points would go unused you would have to let them expire.

The disney assumption that at the current date its likely they will go unused is just plain wrong.

The Disney assumption is calibrated to take money and availability away from members, So Disney likes it just fine. As ive said before all breakage income should be used to offset MF’s but it will never happen until we have a independent condo association board unlike the current one who all just happen to be Disney senior executives

That matches my thoughts that the data they use for breakage is no longer accurate. Maybe it never was. Once they allowed themselves to estimate it vs actually wait for it to happen it started to get inaccurate and. Also things have changed since 1991 regarding travel and last minute trips too. If you've owned DVC for a decade or more you've seen how last minute availability gets to be less and less every year. 2020 of course came back with a ton of breakage but a lot just went unused and now availability is very limited for months which should mean little to no breakage.

Last edited:
Can we request their analysis? Well, I'm sure we can request anything, but is it something they would have to provide? Even if they don't have to provide it, not providing it would say a lot.

Can we request their analysis? Well, I'm sure we can request anything, but is it something they would have to provide? Even if they don't have to provide it, not providing it would say a lot.

I’m sure we can ask, equally sure that we would be told that we have no need to know the internal finances of DVDMC, Have a magical day.

That matches my thoughts that the data they use for breakage is no longer accurate. Maybe it never was. Once they allowed themselves to estimate it vs actually wait for it to happen it started to get inaccurate and. Also things have changed since 1991 regarding travel and last minute trips too. If you've owned DVC for a decade or more you've seen how last minute availability gets to be less and less every year. 2020 of course came back with a ton of breakage but a lot just went unused and now availability is very limited for months which should mean little to no breakage.

Yes in the beginning last minute trips even weekend getaways were easily arranged. Where you stayed last minute was always an open question.

One reason we sold our 800 points was even at 11 months frequently was locked out / yet cash rooms always available and we had a December UY. And no not trying to stay during popular times for DVC

ive suspected for a long time that Disney intentionally creates breakage. How many times have you tried to book something like a 1/2 br between 11 and 7 months. And there is always a day missing during the week. You waitlist it and coming up on 60 days you finally give up and cancel trip because of work rules about PTO, It was stuff like this which led to my intense dislike of how Disney is run.

In the case where something is waitlisted for months why could disney not suggest alternative lodging. They are the only ones with visibility into their inventory after all, Yeah in a case like this you might not get your desired property but at WDW none of the DVC resorts were bad. But you would get your vacation unlike the scenario where you announce your not going on vacation over dinner and you are the bad guy for next month.

Last edited:
ive suspected for a long time that Disney intentionally creates breakage. How many times have you tried to book something like a 1/2 br between 11 and 7 months. And there is always a day missing during the week. You waitlist it and coming up on 60 days you finally give up and cancel trip because of work rules about PTO, It was stuff like this which led to my intense dislike of how Disney is run.

In the case where something is waitlisted for months why could disney not suggest alternative lodging. They are the only ones with visibility into their inventory after all, Yeah in a case like this you might not get your desired property but at WDW none of the DVC resorts were bad. But you would get your vacation unlike the scenario where you announce your not going on vacation over dinner and you are the bad guy for next month.

Or a waitlist that put you into any available accomodations by size.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter