DVC Occupancy Thread Part 2

So what are the consequences is someone goes over occupancy? I am not advocating or attempting to do it, but what does/has/will Disney d:cheer2:o?

So what are the consequences is someone goes over occupancy? I am not advocating or attempting to do it, but what does/has/will Disney d:cheer2:o?

They could ask you to leave. They could make you move up to a larger sized villa/room. They could make you get an additional room and if you don't have points or there are none available for points, you'd have to pay cash - rack rate. They might freeze your account.

They could ask you to leave. They could make you move up to a larger sized villa/room. They could make you get an additional room and if you don't have points or there are none available for points, you'd have to pay cash - rack rate. They might freeze your account.

That all sounds likely, and you definitely are more well versed in the rules than me!!! But, is this documented somewhere? I mean is it written in the rules? Has anyone seen it happen/have it happen to them? Again, not looking to break them at all (I like my space!!!) I am just wondering what really happens....

BeccaG said:
That all sounds likely, and you definitely are more well versed in the rules than me!!! But, is this documented somewhere? I mean is it written in the rules? Has anyone seen it happen/have it happen to them? Again, not looking to break them at all (I like my space!!!) I am just wondering what really happens....

Disney (and DVC) tend not to document consequences of not following guidelines, breaking rules, etc. This goes for dress codes, smoking in non-designated areas, etc. etc. Generally, they just want you to "not do that". In the case of an occupancy violation, I suspect they might do anything from ignoring it to asking you to upgrade on either points or cash. JMHO.

Disney (and DVC) tend not to document consequences of not following guidelines, breaking rules, etc. This goes for dress codes, smoking in non-designated areas, etc. etc. Generally, they just want you to "not do that". In the case of an occupancy violation, I suspect they might do anything from ignoring it to asking you to upgrade on either points or cash. JMHO.

There have been reports on the DIS of guests who were next door to other guests who were asked to leave because they had too many people in their room.

I have seen, it. :sad2:

Group next to us had over the limit for a 2 bedroom. They were caught and the extra family had to leave. There were not interested in paying the rack rate for an additional unit, so they packed up and went off property.

I have had it happen to me!!!! We were using our DVC points for one night at Carribbean Beach (had points to burn and since we were driving down and getting in late just needed a quick place to sleep). When I made the reservations on the drive down, just a few hours before we would check in, I told them that I had 3 adults and 2 kids (ages 3 & 4 at the time). They said no problem with 5 in the room. When we got there they tried to make me rent another room. I said no problem, I will go rent 2 rooms offsite, give me my points back. They gave us the room. But it was an uncomfortable feeling all around.

Just want to confirm they will allow 9 in a two bedroom lock off at BWV??

Yes.

All 2Bs at Boardwalk are lockoffs. They all have one king bed, one queen bed, one queen-size sofabed and one full-size sofabed.

I believe they will allow as long as you are staying on points. We are a family of 5 and I remember a 1 bedroom unit being an option with us and BWV. They will not provide the bedding or towels for that extra person though. Ended up in a 2 bedroom lock off with 7 total people at BWV though. But if you are paying cash through central reservations, you can only book in those units that truly sleep the extra person. So only Old Key West, Bay Lake and AK. When I was trying to combine points reservations with cash through the Disney website I was finding they will not allow the extra person on the website and will say you have exceeded occupancy.

But do you really want to? Seems like it would be rather crowded.
Very crowded with most groups of 9. I can't think of a reasonable situation where 9 would be a good choice but sometimes you do what you have to.

Add me to the "do you want to" list. The "2nd generation" DVC resorts (BWV, BCV, SSR, and VWL) are all on the small side, and the common areas in particular are quite cramped. We were comfortable with four people in a VWL 2BR. Six would be tight. I can't imagine eight, let alone nine.

If you need a single space for nine people, I'd lean instead to OKW. The units are *much* larger, and you get the sleeper chair for the ninth person.

BLT and AKV are other options. You do get the sleeper chair there as well, but the units are on the small side, though there is also a third bathroom.

Add me to the "do you want to" list. The "2nd generation" DVC resorts (BWV, BCV, SSR, and VWL) are all on the small side, and the common areas in particular are quite cramped. We were comfortable with four people in a VWL 2BR. Six would be tight. I can't imagine eight, let alone nine.

If you need a single space for nine people, I'd lean instead to OKW. The units are *much* larger, and you get the sleeper chair for the ninth person.

BLT and AKV are other options. You do get the sleeper chair there as well, but the units are on the small side, though there is also a third bathroom.

I agree with Brian. The ONLY places I would even consider 9 in a 2 bedroom would be OKW or AKV/Kidani. Of course, this is coming from someone who intends to get a GV in 2013 at Christmas for 4 people. :)

I am beginning to look into our next trip...which isn't anytime soon...but planning that next trip is keeping me from missing WDW too much :goodvibes

Anyway, we rented DVC points to stay in a 1BR villa at BLT. It was awesome and we had plenty of room. But next time we go, our youngest will have just turned 3. So, instead of being able to put him in a pack-n-play, he'd need a bed or to pile into bed with someone else. Looking at the point chart, the difference between a 1BR and 2 BR is HUGE!

So, are the occupancy limits listed hard and fast rules or just suggestions? I know in the non-DVC resorts, you are charged per person in the room. Right? But DVC doesn't work that way. So, would it be ok to have 6 in the room? I am a rule-follower by nature so that is why I am asking. Not trying to suggest it's ok to break rules :goodvibes

Thanks!

This will be moved, but yes the levels are what they are and are enforced.

At BLT the limit is 5 unless one is under the age of 3. Sorry but you are going to need a 2 bedroom.

OKW requires the least points for a 2 bedroom and they are huge.

Oh, sorry, not trying to stir up trouble. Just an honest question. Thanks for your response.

...So, are the occupancy limits listed hard and fast rules or just suggestions? I know in the non-DVC resorts, you are charged per person in the room. Right? But DVC doesn't work that way. So, would it be ok to have 6 in the room? I am a rule-follower by nature so that is why I am asking. Not trying to suggest it's ok to break rules :goodvibes

Thanks!

Non-DVC resorts at Disney are the same. Occupancy limits are pretty hard and fast. And they don't charge per person. Basically the room rate is based on two people. If you have one or two, you pay the same rate. Up to two or three children wouldn't be any extra charge (based on the number of sleeping surfaces in the room). But extra adults do add a fee (up to the number of sleeping surfaces in the room).

This will be moved, but yes the levels are what they are and are enforced.

At BLT the limit is 5 unless one is under the age of 3. Sorry but you are going to need a 2 bedroom.

OKW requires the least points for a 2 bedroom and they are huge.

Yerp....The limits are set and enforced if found out.

I don't recommend skirting the rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter