DVC Occupancy Thread Part 2

There is a king bed in the bedroom and a sleeper sofa in the living room. In those properties that sleep 5 in a 1BR (Old Key West, Animal Kingdom, Bay Lake Tower, Grand Floridian) there is also a sleeper chair in the living room that folds out into a single bed.

Personally, I would look for an OKW resale. It would be your cheapest option and the rooms are the largest of any DVC property. It is one of our home resorts and we absolutely love our stays there.

Thanks for the info. I've never really considered OKW. Although, I do like the DTD area. Hmmm, off to have a look and a think.:surfweb:

Thank you for that. So what is the set up in the 1 beds then. Is it just one bed and a sleeper sofa or is it 2 queens?

We are also a family of 5 and that is one of the reasons we chose Kidani as our home resort. We did just stay in a one bedroom standard at boardwalk last month but only had two of our kids with us. The living room had plenty of room for someone to sleep on the floor with a blowup mattress if needed. However, we have since added on since our original buy in and prefer 2 bedrooms especially when all of our kids are traveling with us.

Am I correct that since the VWL refurb the 2BR units should sleep 9 + 1 infant. I thought I read where they added a single Murphy bed. Is that right?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I searched through the thread but I couldn't find my answer…..

We are thinking of booking (or trying to book) a 2 BR BVC for next summer. Are we allowed to have 10 people in the room 4 adults, 4 kids 9,9,8,4, and 2 kids, 2 yrs old, in pack & plays?

If not would a 2BR at AKL (or somewhere else) be more fitting for our situation?

TIA
Tim

We are thinking of booking (or trying to book) a 2 BR BVC for next summer. Are we allowed to have 10 people in the room 4 adults, 4 kids 9,9,8,4, and 2 kids, 2 yrs old, in pack & plays?

If not would a 2BR at AKL (or somewhere else) be more fitting for our situation?

TIA
Tim

The online booking system will allow your party in a 2 bedroom at BCV. (I just gave it a try). So the answer to your question is yes.

That said, IMO, you will be very crowded in that villa. There are only two bathrooms, and you will most likely end up in a villa that has one queen bed and one queen pull out sofa in the second bedroom. (I assumed you will have to book at 7 months and that the villas that have two queen beds in the second bedroom would be gone). However, you could end up in a two bedroom lock-off which has one queen bed and one double pull out sofa.

If I had to book a 2 bedroom for your party, I'd strongly consider AKV -Kidani or BLT. Those 2 bedroom villas are larger and have three full bathrooms.

We recently stayed in a 2 bedroom at AKV-Kidani. We had 4 adults and two 5 year olds. Even though we did not have to use the living area for sleeping, it was a bit "chaotic" at times. Ideally, I'd recommend 2 one bedrooms for your party - one per family. If you stayed at AKV or BLT, you'd each have two full bathrooms in the 1 bedrooms.

I know points can be an issue, so if you can stand close quarters for the length of your stay, I would strongly recommend the 2 bedroom at AKV-Kidani. It was great to watch the animals from the balcony and the kids really enjoyed the pool. Bus service was surprisingly good - and there is a real-time electronic display in the bus shelter that tells you when to expect the next bus to your particular destination.

The online booking system will allow your party in a 2 bedroom at BCV. (I just gave it a try). So the answer to your question is yes.

That said, IMO, you will be very crowded in that villa. There are only two bathrooms, and you will most likely end up in a villa that has one queen bed and one queen pull out sofa in the second bedroom. (I assumed you will have to book at 7 months and that the villas that have two queen beds in the second bedroom would be gone). However, you could end up in a two bedroom lock-off which has one queen bed and one double pull out sofa.

If I had to book a 2 bedroom for your party, I'd strongly consider AKV -Kidani or BLT. Those 2 bedroom villas are larger and have three full bathrooms.

We recently stayed in a 2 bedroom at AKV-Kidani. We had 4 adults and two 5 year olds. Even though we did not have to use the living area for sleeping, it was a bit "chaotic" at times. Ideally, I'd recommend 2 one bedrooms for your party - one per family. If you stayed at AKV or BLT, you'd each have two full bathrooms in the 1 bedrooms.

I know points can be an issue, so if you can stand close quarters for the length of your stay, I would strongly recommend the 2 bedroom at AKV-Kidani. It was great to watch the animals from the balcony and the kids really enjoyed the pool. Bus service was surprisingly good - and there is a real-time electronic display in the bus shelter that tells you when to expect the next bus to your particular destination.
Thank you for the quick response! :thumbsup2

We own at SSR (250pts) so I would be booking at the 7 month mark. I knew BLT & AKL rooms were bigger … i believe OKW would work in our favor as well?

A 2BR at BCV requires 313pts for a week but 2 1BRs would run 510pts- a huge difference. However I might be able to swing a 1BR & a studio. Then our friends could hang out in our living quarters for breakfast or whatever then have their own space.

Hummm… lots to think about.. Glad I have a few months to figure this out. :rotfl:

Am I correct that since the VWL refurb the 2BR units should sleep 9 + 1 infant. I thought I read where they added a single Murphy bed. Is that right?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

They put them in the studios. I'm not sure that they put it in the second bedroom of a dedicated 2 bedroom. A lockoff 2 bedroom would have it. They have not updated the online booking system to reflect the murphy bed.

TIA
Tim

At BCV you may be able to book the room but you might have trouble when you get there- those rooms sleep 8 plus 1 under 2 the second under 2 counts towards room occupancy so you need one of the rooms that sleeps 9 plus 1 not 8 plus 1 so OKW, SSR, AKV, and BLT are your options.

At BCV you may be able to book the room but you might have trouble when you get there- those rooms sleep 8 plus 1 under 2 the second under 2 counts towards room occupancy so you need one of the rooms that sleeps 9 plus 1 not 8 plus 1 so OKW, SSR, AKV, and BLT are your options.

Thanks for the heads up… we are new owners and will be taking our first trip as DVCers this September. I need to call MS to add ME so I'll ask while I'm on the phone. I have time, I'm just trying to figure out our options. I don't want to show up and have an issue. :goodvibes

Update on BCV- I called MS to add my MIL for ME. Waited 33 minutes to speak to someone. Finally spoke to an agent about booking a 2 BR BCV for the 10 people (2 infants) and she said it couldn't be done. I'd need a 3 bedroom. So I said wouldn't I be better off just booking a 2 BR at BLT or AKL that allow 9+1 and she said 'I never heard of 9+1 before'.

I guess I still don't have a definitive answer. :confused3

Update on BCV- I called MS to add my MIL for ME. Waited 33 minutes to speak to someone. Finally spoke to an agent about booking a 2 BR BCV for the 10 people (2 infants) and she said it couldn't be done. I'd need a 3 bedroom. So I said wouldn't I be better off just booking a 2 BR at BLT or AKL that allow 9+1 and she said 'I never heard of 9+1 before'.

I would just book online for one of the 2 bedrooms that allow 9 plus 1. That is allowed in OKW, BLT, GFV, and AKL(not value). If you can secure a lock-off 2 bedroom at GFV then you can actually house 10 people of any age but that is extremely hard to do except for owners.

I'm glad they actually held to what the legal documentations says but sadly you are likely to get a different answer next time and that's not fair to you or anyone else. The reason you could book it online isn't that they've made a conscious decision to allow it but rather that they decided not to mess with the computer programming to differentiate between the 2 types of occupancy.

I'm glad they actually held to what the legal documentations says but sadly you are likely to get a different answer next time and that's not fair to you or anyone else. The reason you could book it online isn't that they've made a conscious decision to allow it but rather that they decided not to mess with the computer programming to differentiate between the 2 types of occupancy.

Thanks Dean. Please know I'm not trying to circumvent the system, I'm just trying to figure out how to make this trip work if our friends do come with us. I do realize that any call to ME or any CM can result in a variety of answers. I just want to get to the bottom of it so I don't show up to check in and get told we can't stay there. Being that we are new DVC owners, we still don't know all the ins and outs.

I would just book online for one of the 2 bedrooms that allow 9 plus 1. That is allowed in OKW, BLT, GFV, and AKL(not value). If you can secure a lock-off 2 bedroom at GFV then you can actually house 10 people of any age but that is extremely hard to do except for owners.
This is most likely the route we will end up going.

Thanks for the info about GFV… I didn't realize that. However booking at 7 months will probably hurt us in getting that kind of room.

DW really wanted to try to get BCV to have access to SAB since we are going in August.

Thanks Dean. Please know I'm not trying to circumvent the system, I'm just trying to figure out how to make this trip work if our friends do come with us. I do realize that any call to ME or any CM can result in a variety of answers. I just want to get to the bottom of it so I don't show up to check in and get told we can't stay there. Being that we are new DVC owners, we still don't know all the ins and outs.
I knew that, sorry if it sounded like I thought you were. Unfortunately there's really no getting to the bottom of it unless DVC changes their approach. As long as you have a reservation that lists everyone, you should consider yourself set and OK.

The two bedroom villas that have the sleeper chair or a murphy bed, will sleep nine people (plus one under the age of three). The two bedroom villas that do not have the sleeper chair or a murphy bed, will sleep eight people (plus one under the age of three). If you have two children under the age of three, one will not count and the other one will.

Am I correct that the only dvc resorts at Disney that can accommodate 5 ( all over age 3) in a studio are VWL and VGF? This occupancy stuff gets confusing! Thanks.

Am I correct that the only dvc resorts at Disney that can accommodate 5 ( all over age 3) in a studio are VWL and VGF? This occupancy stuff gets confusing! Thanks.

Yes

For the heck of it, I tried BWV with 2 adults and 3 teens and it did allow it. BCV, OKW, SSR did not. Not sure if that is a glitch.

I booked our friends a studio villa at our home resort (BWV). They are asking if they can bring the Grandmother with them. That would put 5 in that Villa. Two of the 5 are 12 and 4. Is that possible or a big no no.

I booked our friends a studio villa at our home resort (BWV). They are asking if they can brink the Grandmother with them. That would put 5 in that Villa. Two of the 5 are 12 and 4. Is that possible or a big no no.

the occupancy thread is here for extended dicussions:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2894661

the short answer is: unless one is under 3 years old, you cannot put 5 into a studio. big no no. they need a 1BR (in a different resort, unless grandma wants to sleep in the floor).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter