DVC Mike enjoying BLT

Mike, so sorry to here of this huge error on the part of Flying Fish. Hope Mrs. Mike is feeling better and will have a speedy recovery and is able to enjoy the rest of her vacation. Keeping you in our prayers!

Cyndi

I do hope your wife is feeling better and that you may be able to salvage the remainder of your vacation. What a nightmare!

My wife was released from the hospital on late Monday night around midnight. She hit the sack and slept in on Tuesday, where we spent most of the day in the room.

We spoke to one of the managers at the Contemporary resort, and they were very helpful. They had one of the chefs at the Wave prepare her a simple gluten-free soup via room service, for which we weren’t charged. They also put us in touch with Guest Claims and we spoke to them about what happened. We’ll see what they do. It would be nice if they could cover the cost of the insurance deductible we had to pay for the two trips to the emergency room.

By Tuesday night, she felt much better and was very hungry, so we ate at Artist Point. The meal was great.

Oh yeah, about Flying Fish Café. We never heard from them after what happened on Monday night, despite the fact that the manager asked for my name and phone number, which I provided. I don’t think we’ll be going back.

Here is a shot I took this morning right after dawn from my balcony looking at the Grand Floridian.

DM_20111207_071557 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

We are all hoping your wife is feeling better. I know mistakes can happen in food service, I have been in the business for over 20 years, but this is beyond ok. I hope the rest of you trip is better, your pictures are amazing! Thank you for sharing your love of Disney with us.

Mike, I'm glad she's out of the hospital and back at the room and feeling better! I am outraged at what happened, though. I have a reaction, but not as severe, to shrimp, so I can only imagine what your wife went through. I hope guest claims follows up on this with commensurate attention.

Quick question about pictures. I think I'm going to pick up a DSLR for Christmas this year, and I wanted to ask about your pictures and your post-processing. I looked at the info on the GF photo you just posted, and it said that you used Photoshop. Did you do a lot of adjusting on it with Photoshop, or was it pretty much out-of-camera? I'm trying to decide if I need to go ahead and delve into PS along with my DSLR. I've just been doing compact and bridge camera shots with minimal editing. Taking the leap back to a SLR (had a K1000 film camera back in the day before computers!) and getting sucked in scares me! LOL Thanks!

Believe me Mike they will be contacting you at some point...it may even be after you get back home.....

Beautiful pictures! I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's illness, especially after you took the trouble to explain to the chef what caused the reaction the 1st time. I'm glad she's recovering & that the folks at the Contemporary are taking good care of her.

Quick question about pictures. I think I'm going to pick up a DSLR for Christmas this year, and I wanted to ask about your pictures and your post-processing. I looked at the info on the GF photo you just posted, and it said that you used Photoshop. Did you do a lot of adjusting on it with Photoshop, or was it pretty much out-of-camera? I'm trying to decide if I need to go ahead and delve into PS along with my DSLR. I've just been doing compact and bridge camera shots with minimal editing. Taking the leap back to a SLR (had a K1000 film camera back in the day before computers!) and getting sucked in scares me! LOL Thanks!

I shoot RAW (Nikon's NEF) instead of JPEG. I used to shoot JPEG and post straight from the Camera. Now, I pull the RAW photo into Lightroom (aka Adobe Photoshop Lightroom), which let's me organize (keyword) my photos. I spend a couple minutes on each photo, sharpening them, modifying the tone curve to increase contrast, or maybe even cropping them a bit. I don't use Adobe Photoshop CS5, as that's overkill for me.

I'd recommend Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture for any DSLR user who wants to organize and process their photos (such as adding a watermark). Both are much less expensive than Photoshop.

I shoot RAW (Nikon's NEF) instead of JPEG. I used to shoot JPEG and post straight from the Camera. Now, I pull the RAW photo into Lightroom (aka Adobe Photoshop Lightroom), which let's me organize (keyword) my photos. I spend a couple minutes on each photo, sharpening them, modifying the tone curve to increase contrast, or maybe even cropping them a bit. I don't use Adobe Photoshop CS5, as that's overkill for me.

I'd recommend Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture for any DSLR user who wants to organize and process their photos (such as adding a watermark). Both are much less expensive than Photoshop.

Thank you so much! I'd much rather spend the $$ on hardware instead of software! =) I've been a fan of your pictures for a while, and I appreciate you sharing them with us!

It was warm and drizzly this morning...now it's cold and drizzly! Which means I'm REALLY looking forward to our next DVC trip!

I love your pics! I have the Nikon D5100 and I really need to brush up on my pic taking/editing skills b/c my pics aren't nearly as awesome as yours! Looking forward to more! :thumbsup2

so sorry your wife went though that.

that is one reason most of my meals are in my room/villa. when I cook it - I know what is in it.

have several food allergies - but my worse is pepper. Can have wheat - but not oaks, rye or barley. yea know strange.

my pepper reaction is like hers to gluten - it takes my body between 48 and 72 hours to get the pepper out and until then - no leaving the room.

since disney is almost advertising their gluten free menus - would definitely call the person who you talk when you have a food allergy - okay don't remember her name - but hopefully someone will be along shortly with it.

another one of my problems probably won't effective you. the chefs have to wash everything down before they start my non-pepper order and if they forget and do add pepper - they have to start the process over. So even little things can take a while. waited once for eggs for over an hour...

so now mostly avoid the resturants. believe it or not the best allergy service I ever got was at Pop century food court and the Comtemporary food court

at least can smell pepper - it is just about impossible to smell gluten.

love your pictures!

Here are some shots I took at the Wilderness Lodge before our dinner at Artist Point last night.

The first one is a composite of three different exposures. It came out all right; it's the best I could do in the late afternoon.

DM_20111206_162844_4_01_5 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

DM_20111206_192637 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

DM_20111206_193619 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

And a couple of shots after dinner:

DM_20111206_195026 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

DM_20111206_194753 by DVC Mike, on Flickr

oh wow..those waterfall shots!!
Hope your wife is feeling better!

First off, glad to hear that your wife is feeling better. :)

I noticed on your GF shot that the EXIF says that it was taken at 1/15th second. Did you handhold that shot or are you using a tripod? If you're handholding, my hat is off to you! Love the crispness of the shot and the mood of that predawn atmosphere.

First off, glad to hear that your wife is feeling better. :)

I noticed on your GF shot that the EXIF says that it was taken at 1/15th second. Did you handhold that shot or are you using a tripod? If you're handholding, my hat is off to you! Love the crispness of the shot and the mood of that predawn atmosphere.

Yep, the shot of the Grand Floridian after dawn was shot using a tripod. No way could I shoot handheld at 1/15th of a second.

We had dinner at Jiko tonight. It was nice to see the Christmas tree and decorations.

The menu at Jiko has changed since the last time we were there. While the filet mignon with mac&cheese wasn't on the menu (it now comes with sweet corn risotto), you can still order it (which I did).

Interestingly, after we talked with the manager at the Contemporary and Guest Claims about Flying Fish, we had the head chef come out at both Artist Point last night and Jiko tonight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!