DVC Mike enjoying BLT

Great pics!

Looking forward to our arrival in 4 days. Hopefully the weather holds out and stays great for stay.

Paramedics took my wife to the Celebration Hospital due a less than magical experience at Disney. It was a virtual repeat of a poor Disney experience we had just 6 weeks ago on our last trip.

Back on October 27, when we were staying at BCV, we dined at Flying Fish Café on the Boardwalk. It is my wife’s favorite restaurant at Walt Disney World. My wife has an extreme intolerance of gluten – a protein found in wheat, rye and barley. When we make all our dining reservations, we clearly indicate her food allergies. When we arrive at the restaurant, we always speak to the chef about her severe intolerance of gluten and what it does to her. If her food contains gluten, she gets violently ill – including constant vomiting and diarrhea for hours – leaving her severely dehydrated and needing intravenous fluids. Believe me, it’s not fun.

Well, when the chef prepared her food at the Flying Fish Café on Oct 27, he mistakenly used vinegar that contained gluten. That night, she was very sick all night, and by the morning she was too weak to move. The manager of the Beach Club resort called the paramedics, and we spent a day at Celebration Hospital. It was not a very magical time.

So, when we returned to Flying Fish Café tonight, we spoke of this very incident that had occurred just six weeks earlier, and we stressed how no vinegar be used in the preparation of her food. Chef Tim said he would ensure it would not happen this time.

But it happened again – the very same thing. Chef Tim prepared some vegetables with vinegar. After about half of her meal had been eaten, the chef came by and asked how she liked it. She asked about what sauce he used on one of her vegetables. When he became red-faced and said it contained vinegar, my wife rushed to the restroom to purge herself of her dinner. But it was too late, and paramedics were soon called and took her from the Boardwalk to Celebration Hospital.

She’s still there now. After spending hours the last time waiting in the room with her, she asked me to head back to our room at BLT. I’m hoping she might be ready to be released later tonight, or if not, by tomorrow morning.

I’m disappointed that Disney cannot take better care in preparation of her meals. Yes, I know they still do a pretty fine job accommodating everyone’s food allergies, but that’s not much solace to my poor wife, who instead of enjoying her vacation is very ill, laying in a hospital bed receiving intravenous fluids.

So, trip report interrupted…

OMG. I am NOT one to expect any kind of compensation for inconveniences but this is clearly NEGLIGENCE. No excuse for this. You gave the chef exact warnings and the chef blew it. I don't know who should be contacted but hopefully someone else who knows will post. Your wife deserves a major consideration. I am sure there are attorneys who would be more than willing to file in the courts on her behalf if Disney does not try to make this up to her. Geez. So sorry this happened, Mike.

Oh no, that is horrible! I feel so sorry for you both. I'm familiar with people in our family with gluten allergies, but nothing to that extent. I hope she can be as comfortable as possible and makes a speedy recovery.

I couldn't even believe I was reading that-how horrible and such an unecessary mistake, poor thing.

I just LOVE your photos. We were at BLT last year at the same time and loved it.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I can't believe after explaining what had happened in October, the chef STILL screwed up. Unbelievable. I hope she recovers quickly enough to enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Oh - I am SO sorry to hear about your wife's troubles. I have a severe fish allergy and know how miserable a reaction can make you feel and how dangerous it can be. It is one of the reasons we vacation so often at WDW - they have normally been so accommodating to my needs (not even a hint of Worcestershire can be in my food).

I agree with jekjones1558 - Disney needs to make this right; this is an inexcusable mistake.

I agree with jekjones1558 - Disney needs to make this right; this is an inexcusable mistake.

Same-esp someone that is as dedicated to WDW as Mike and fam. I would go so far as night in the castle if up to me.

To me, this is still one of the most beautiful and captivating sights in all of Walt Disney World.
Agreed and it's my new desktop picture, thanks!
Sorry to hear about the issues with your wife's food, it seems pretty inexcusable to make the same mistake twice like that. Hope she feels better soon.

Such beautiful pictures on this thread, Mike! We're in the process of planning a BLT trip in June 2012 and I was hoping to glean some tips from your report. And then I read about your wife ... :(

So sorry that you two are going through this - and I agree that accidents happen, but this seemed clearly more than that. Food allergies are very serious and I think Disney needs to take some more responsibility here for this. What if your wife had had an anaphylactic reaction? And this was after you two had given clear warning of what could happen and what HAD just happened as well at this same exact restaurant?? Unacceptable.

I hope she recovers quickly from her sprue flare! :flower3:

OMG. I am NOT one to expect any kind of compensation for inconveniences but this is clearly NEGLIGENCE. No excuse for this. You gave the chef exact warnings and the chef blew it. I don't know who should be contacted but hopefully someone else who knows will post. Your wife deserves a major consideration. I am sure there are attorneys who would be more than willing to file in the courts on her behalf if Disney does not try to make this up to her. Geez. So sorry this happened, Mike.

I totally agree, Jean. I'm one of those with severe food allergies too, and Flying Fish is one of those places I've learned from past experience NOT to trust to "get it right". I have a dwindling list of places I trust at Disney now. :sad1:

So sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she gets better soon. Its a shame that the Chef wasn't more careful when preparing the food.

Sorry to hear about your wife Mike, I hope she recovers quickly. I'm shocked that a restaurant would make that mistake once let alone twice.

I totally agree, Jean. I'm one of those with severe food allergies too, and Flying Fish is one of those places I've learned from past experience NOT to trust to "get it right". I have a dwindling list of places I trust at Disney now. :sad1:
Mike, so sorry to hear of your wife's experience. I'm with Diane...as a minimum, take Flying Fish off your list.

I have a dairy allergy, and I've had various reactions from chefs. Anywhere from..."don't eat from the buffet, I'll make you your own meal" to a look as if to say "what do you want me to do". :confused3

I'm wondering if it was the same chef at Flying Fish both times. He/they should be "dealt" with. What if her reaction had been worse?

I hope the rest of your trip is much better!

Paramedics took my wife to the Celebration Hospital due a less than magical experience at Disney. It was a virtual repeat of a poor Disney experience we had just 6 weeks ago on our last trip.

Back on October 27, when we were staying at BCV, we dined at Flying Fish Café on the Boardwalk. It is my wife’s favorite restaurant at Walt Disney World. My wife has an extreme intolerance of gluten – a protein found in wheat, rye and barley. When we make all our dining reservations, we clearly indicate her food allergies. When we arrive at the restaurant, we always speak to the chef about her severe intolerance of gluten and what it does to her. If her food contains gluten, she gets violently ill – including constant vomiting and diarrhea for hours – leaving her severely dehydrated and needing intravenous fluids. Believe me, it’s not fun.

Well, when the chef prepared her food at the Flying Fish Café on Oct 27, he mistakenly used vinegar that contained gluten. That night, she was very sick all night, and by the morning she was too weak to move. The manager of the Beach Club resort called the paramedics, and we spent a day at Celebration Hospital. It was not a very magical time.

So, when we returned to Flying Fish Café tonight, we spoke of this very incident that had occurred just six weeks earlier, and we stressed how no vinegar be used in the preparation of her food. Chef Tim said he would ensure it would not happen this time.

But it happened again – the very same thing. Chef Tim prepared some vegetables with vinegar. After about half of her meal had been eaten, the chef came by and asked how she liked it. She asked about what sauce he used on one of her vegetables. When he became red-faced and said it contained vinegar, my wife rushed to the restroom to purge herself of her dinner. But it was too late, and paramedics were soon called and took her from the Boardwalk to Celebration Hospital.

She’s still there now. After spending hours the last time waiting in the room with her, she asked me to head back to our room at BLT. I’m hoping she might be ready to be released later tonight, or if not, by tomorrow morning.

I’m disappointed that Disney cannot take better care in preparation of her meals. Yes, I know they still do a pretty fine job accommodating everyone’s food allergies, but that’s not much solace to my poor wife, who instead of enjoying her vacation is very ill, laying in a hospital bed receiving intravenous fluids.

So, trip report interrupted…

Mike, so sorry that your wife is ill, prayers for her fast recovery. Knowing Disney like I do, I wouldn't trust anyone to prepare her food. I know that things like this shouldn't happen but people are people and mistakes do occur. This is so sad.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!