DVC Member question for MoGoofy - regarding $50 shipboard credit

Kathy0529

Earning My Ears
Hi MoGoofy,

I saw your post regarding the $50 shipboard credit on the Disney Cruise Line. I, like you, are also a DVC Member and was wondering if you were able to get the credit applied for your cruise? I am traveling on the Magic on May 4th (first time Disney cruiser) and when I called MS they said that I would not be able to get the credit and to call DCL. I called and spoke to Charlie @ DCL who at first said I was not able to receive a credit, then put me on hold, and came back to tell me to call DVC MS and give them the code because DCL cannot alter my reservation. I called MS (got the same rep I originally spoke to) and she told me I still cannot get the shipboard credit through her. She finally ended up telling me that I would get the credit on the boat as long as I had the actual postcard in hand. Sorry this story is so long, but I was wondering what your experience was trying to get your credit for your July Cruise?

Thank You.
Kathy

Thanks for the reply, but both DCL and DVC told me that I would be able to get the credit. DVC Member Services told me I would be able to get it on the ship, with the postcard in hand.

Maybe another DVC member could shed some light????

Hi Kathy0529,

I booked our cruise for July on points and when I called the member services the first time I was told there were not credits available not even for first time cruisers like us. I called Disney Club and was told the 50.00 credit was not available to us because we booked our cruise via the vacation club. So once again I called members services in the evening and spoke to a different rep and told her that I heard thru the grapevine that I may qualify for a credit for first time cruisers. She wasn't sure, but me on hold then came back and asked me for the referral code (REF) and put me on hold again. After a few minutes she said that 50.00 had been applied to our account!!!

Sorry this is long but sometimes its a matter of trying a few times (unfortunately) before you get it. It seem to help that I told her I heard it that I qualified because the first thing she asked me was "were you told you would get a credit"?

Hope this helps...Good Luck.

DiznyMagic,

Thanks for your reply, but does the credit have to be applied before you get on the ship? I'm worried that if I try to have it done on the ship w/the postcard, that I'll have trouble and I don't want to start my vacation fighting for this credit that so many people have gotten over the phone.

Thanks!!
Kathy

I had basically the same type situation. I called DCL and just asked if the First Time Cruiser Credit with code REF was available to DVC'er cruising on points. I was told by the person from DCL that yes it was available to us if we were first time cruisers but I would need to call MS and have them request it since the cruise is booked via them. I did that the next day. I was told initially by the cm that she didn't think so but since I was sooo... sure she would check for me and call me back. About an hour later she called and said they would give me the credit but not to tell anyone about it. She then inquired about how I found out about this. I told her on the Internet. She became real inquisitive about the wed site and again ask me not to tell anyone, at which time I told her I had already posted what DCL had told me the night before. I do think there are a limited number of this credit available per cruise by the way it was described to me. I don't understand why they want to keep everything a secret or why there are so many different answers given!

Okay, so I've been keeping track of this thread and this is my story:

Next month will be our 1st Disney Cruise and I've been reading about the shipboard credit for 1st time cruisers. A few days ago I called Disney and they said we weren't eligible because we have an American Express package, and they said we can't combine the two. I called back several times over the past couple of days and would get somewhat different answers each time, but the same result - NO CREDIT!

Well, I didn't give up, I just called again and spoke to someone different and she applied the $50 credit to our trip - no questions asked. (BTW, each time I called I acted as if it were the 1st time I was inquiring about it.)

This has also happened to me a few times at the Disneyland Hotel. On two seperate occassions I tried to book a room, but was told they were completely booked, then I would call right back and speak to someone else and book a room with no trouble. A different time I was told I wasn't eligible for the AAA discount with my room rate, but when I called again and spoke to someone else, again they applied it without a problem.

So if you're told "no", don't give up. Just keep trying!!! :D

Hey Sasha,

I actually called today to DVC and spoke w/someone in MS and asked for the REF credit. He put me on hold, but came back and said he had heard about it and had it applied to my account. I also made like it was my first time calling and had no problem, where yesterday, I didn't get anywhere, but frustrated!!! Have fun on your cruise, I can't wait for mine on May 4th!!!

Kathy

:cool:

Yea Kathy!!! I'm so excited for you. I don't understand why so many people are getting so many different responses. Go figure!

Well, I'm glad it worked for you too. Hope you enjoy your cruise also! :)

I had to call three different times and got three different answers but I finally got someone at MS and she gave me the credit on two different room with no questions asked. I don't understand why there isn't one standard rule.

I also made a change to my reservation two weeks ago and I absolutely refused to hang up the phone until they waived the $75 fee for making a change (this was regarding something about the room that I felt I should have been informed of and I wasn't) and after about five minutes of going back and forth about with "we NEVER waive the $75 fee" they finally agree to waive the fee.

I've learned from this board to never give up!!:D :D :D

Hi Kathy0529,

Glad it worked out for you. I agree with everyone else - its ridiculous that we have to "beg" for credits after all we are spending quite a bit money and it doesn't matter if we purchase the cruise with cash or points.

Enjoy your trip and credit:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter