DVC is getting out of controle with point increases

Disney's excuse to my wife and I was that there's cheaper value priced rooms been added to AKV to compensate the rise at SSR and other resorts.
There are three possible explanations for this:
  1. Someone was explaining that there were other less-expensive points options at other resorts and you misunderstood that to mean they took points from one resort and moved them somehow to another resort
  2. Whoever told you that had not even the vaguest concept of what they were talking about
  3. They were just flat lying
Regardless of how you came to that conclusion, points cannot be reallocated between resorts. They can be reallocated only within one resort, keeping the same total number of points.

Since 2007, 2 out of the last 4 years or our membership they have increased points needed per night at SSR.A jump from 25 points per night for a 1 bedroom in May to 31 is out of control in a 2 year span.Part of this is my bad luck on the timing of my DVC purchase but what is to stop them from getting raise happy cause they just feel like it for whatever reason.We were sold on DVC on the promise that the point values would never increase per day to stay.I guess we were misinformed.At this rate 1 bedrooms are gonna be in the 40-50 point range in 10-20 years.The value of the DVC is decreasing for us with each point increase.Lets hope there done for a while with adjustments.

You must be talking about a specific time period and day of week. With a point based timeshare, when those kind of "balancing" changes happen, you just have to "balance" with them and either change when you vacation or what size villa or location you book.

We tend to travel mostly in December and January. Both are low point times, and the last 2 reallocations have seen the points DECREASE for our normal stay. Now, that was at OKW, and by the same token, our desired stays at AKV have increased a bit, but not beyond reason.

I for one am glad DVC keeps an eye on things in that way so it's more equitable for all.

As others have said....Point values for each resort do not change...Only the distribution of what days and seasons changes.

Mr. Tight, I feel your pain. We now only go once a year instead of twice.

It's all so variable depending on your actual plans. I remember looking at our plans for Dec '10 and comparing them to Dec '11 after the changes. If we'd waited until '11, it would have been "cheaper". It all depends on your specific plans...

When we first purchased, we often came 3x in a 12-month span (APs) for stays of only 5 nights. Now we would be more like 2 stays over a similar time span of 6-7 nights each.

Ultimately we did "lose" nights due to the higher weekday costs, but honestly I've found that it works out for the best. We spend a lot less on transportation (fly, drive) for 2 stays rather than 3. Also we're only doing 2 check-ins and departures rather than 3--those arrival and departure days are often not very productive.

Taking fewer trips--each of a longer duration--seems to better fit our vacation style these days.

Since 2007, 2 out of the last 4 years or our membership they have increased points needed per night at SSR.A jump from 25 points per night for a 1 bedroom in May to 31 is out of control in a 2 year span.Part of this is my bad luck on the timing of my DVC purchase but what is to stop them from getting raise happy cause they just feel like it for whatever reason.We were sold on DVC on the promise that the point values would never increase per day to stay.I guess we were misinformed.At this rate 1 bedrooms are gonna be in the 40-50 point range in 10-20 years.The value of the DVC is decreasing for us with each point increase.Lets hope there done for a while with adjustments.

Because they can't... at least not without significantly LOWERING the point cost per night in another category/season/day of the week. And while some narrowing has occurred, I don't think you'll find 1BR and studios going for the same price, every night, every season......they're going to maintain some differentiation between (at least) room types and seasons. They MAY go to a flat nightly rate, no matter what day of the week it is...that wouldn't surprise me given how many DVC members have, for a LONG time, "maximized" points by avoiding weekends.

What your sales person told you was either incorrect (that the per night point cost couldn't change) or you misunderstood (that the TOTAL number of points in the resort could not increase...so it would be a zero sum equation should any changes take place). That's regretable. But, either way, it's spelled out in the contracts that every DVC member signs, in great detail.

We've been the Sun-Thurs vacationer so this new reallocation has changed the way and times we can stay.I have to rethink all my trips instead of the usual times .We like our 1 bedroom! I just sleep better in a king bed cause im a tall guy and the extra room to stretch out is better than my real home.Weekend visitors must be thrilled with the changes. I don't want to get into the borrowing points game year to year or purchase more points.So were gonna adjust accordingly but it stings a little cause jobs and life often dictates our options in booking reservations.

Here's the way I view it: In year 50 (2054 at AKV)...I don't really want my 200 points hanging around to try to use them before the contract expires. I have no issue "borrowing" 5 to 10 points per year when I have to.

I've always booked weekends, and the only place we are really hurt is with the BC at VB. We bought more points there because our family really enjoys having one. We never bought into VB thinking we would be staying in the BC, it's just worked out that way.

Bobbi:goodvibes

You may still be able to do Sun-Thurs in a 1 BR at the times of year you travel by staying at AKL or OKW during one of the visits.

I know you said you did not want to borrow or buy points, but if you need fewer than 24 points per year, there is the option to purchase one time points from DVC at $15/point, but then you have to schedule the trip in the 7 month window. Resales for SSR are relatively affordable right now, but it is hard to find small point value resales.

We purchased DVC with the intention of having enough points for a 7-day, 1BR vacation annually during all seasons except premier. The point re-allocation has affected our plans as well. We probably should have purchased 10-15 more than we thought we would need, but I did not want to have points go unused.

As someone that stayed weekends, in Magic season, I was glad to see the imbalance distributed more evenly.

Weekend guests were paying significantly more for villas and were bearing those costs unfairly. More points, more dues.

New DVC members in April 10. We bought in with plans to do S-Th exclusively to save on points. With the reallocation, we do need 10 - 15 more points for our Studio stays. However, we are still working our way around the resorts, and our BLT points go a long way at OKW. I have noticed that there is usually a lot more activities/shows during the weekends, and with our vacation habit, we are missing them. Once our planned S-Th vacations through 2012 are through, we will be reevaluating our travel/days to stay plans. So for 'value' added vacation content, this may be a good thing for us.

I especially liked the comment on doing a fewer 'longer' trips vs. more 'shorter' trips can actually be more economical once travel time/costs are factored in.

We can live the recent point reallocation and we're glad they didn't change anything for 2012. We have 160 pts at BLT, and DW and I are able to get in 2 - 3 trips a year through 2013. We're pacing our trips to maximize AP usage, so in essence we are taking a year off between a year of trips. This way our point volume builds back up for efficient planning.

As someone that stayed weekends, in Magic season, I was glad to see the imbalance distributed more evenly.

Weekend guests were paying significantly more for villas and were bearing those costs unfairly. More points, more dues.

Yes, I do agree with what you say. It really was not fair that the weekends were so much higher. But members who always booked weekends purchased the points that they needed to do the vacations they planned on.

People such as myself and the OP purchased points that we believed would allow us to vacation as we planned with the points we bought. And now we can't. At our resort (VWL) they not only added points to the S-TH stays, they also added the more points to the 1 BR (and not as many to the studio or 2 BR). We added on to our original purchase to always be able to stay in a 1 BR. Thanks DVC.

And we will not buy any more points. Sounds like cutting off nose to spite face, but DVC has lost it's glow for us. Cutting back is going to work out too. It is just irritating.

The problem is, as Muuska said, people were buying the points they thought they needed. They did not consider any possible reallocations, and bought "just enough" based on the point chart at time of purchase. The error, of course, was that they did not understand that the charts could, and probably would, change at some point as they did in 1996. They failed to realize that charts eventually would have to reflect any changes in usage patterns among members, as point based timeshares really need to strive to have very high occupancy 365 days a year, not just weekdays.

But, it is not Disney's responsibility to be sure you understand all the intricacies of the points based ownership, nor do they have time to cover everything in a sales tour...that is why Florida mandates a reasonable timeframe where you can read the documents and change your mind, even if you purchase resale.

If Disney continues to increase the points needed to stay at the resorts I'm gonna end up selling and paying out of pocket and staying in a studio over at the value resorts.I'm being forced to choose a shorter vacation now or stay in studios instead of a 1 bedroom.We used to be able to do 2 vacations of 5 days at SSR in a 1 bedroom for around 200 points.Now they raised the points to stay every year since we've purchased DVC.My 2 vacations per year at SSR now costs more than the 200 points to stay in a 1 bedroom both times.Ive settled for a studio for out may trips and a 1 bedroom for out October trips.At this rate I'm gonna be stuck with a studio all the time if i want the 5 day vacations.Disney's excuse to my wife and I was that there's cheaper value priced rooms been added to AKV to compensate the rise at SSR and other resorts. This does nothing for me.I feel there slowly pulling the old bait and switch on us. And If I came out of pocket for the value resorts they will even give me free food most of the time!. DVC members get nada.Just a fancy monthly payment to be in the club.Does anyone else feel the same way?

Mr.Tight
Villain in Training

Private message

IMO that fact that you need more points to have the same vacation is a disappointment and it may make you upset. I feel your pain. Based on our vacation patterns, we also need more points to take that same vacation.

I doesn't matter that Disney is within their legal rights to move the required points around, or that you should have read your contract more closely and anticipated a change, or that you can vacation at a different time of year and not have to use more points, the end result is the same, Disney made a change and it negativity affected you, and for that I am sorry.

:earsboy: Bill

We own SSR and love staying there, but if you want to stay in a one bedroom, there are other properties where you can get a one bedroom for less instead of staying in a studio. We have stayed at several of the properties and none disappoint.

We purchased our 250 points based on the idea that we'd need 123 per week in "Magic" season for 2 weeks in a studio at SSR and which would leave a small handful to play with. This thinking would get us 2 full weeks there OR a combination of other stays (1 week in Magic + 2 long weekends in "cheaper" seasons etc). For us, the reallocations have meant that our 2 week plan in "magic" season has actually gone DOWN 3 points per week to only 120 points each which gives us an extra 10 points (those would cover a Sun-Th night in "adventure" season so we've actually gained the possibiliy of another night). We are resort hoppers and like to stay someplace different on each trip so we feel we still have a lot of flexibility when making our plans. I may sing a different song one day but for now we're still OK...

The 2 point reallocations have hurt me, as have most of the changes to DVC since I purchased in 2000. Though I knew changes were possible, it doesn't make them easier to accept. I am one of those Sunday to Friday travelers and now my OKW points don't go as far. OKW now costs point wise for a 2br almost as much as the newer resorts. I wasn't happy with the $95 transfer fee either nor the loss of valet parking, it was nice to have when I needed it. However, the saving grace for me is that I still love OKW, and I'm close enough to Orlando to make it still work! I do understand your frustration!

The problem is, as Muuska said, people were buying the points they thought they needed. They did not consider any possible reallocations, and bought "just enough" based on the point chart at time of purchase.
Unfortunately, that's the way it was sold to most people! Buy what you need to stay a week in Orlando and then enough again to stay a week in Vero to unwind! Great sales pitch, and yes it's not up to Disney to point out all of the possible negatives and they didn't!

What's the old saying, "buyer be ware"!

We have owned at OKW since 1993 and the points value has never changed. In fact DVC guaranteed this in our contract. They did however say that dues would go up and that they reserved the right to alter the "seasons"

We have owned at OKW since 1993 and the points value has never changed. In fact DVC guaranteed this in our contract. They did however say that dues would go up and that they reserved the right to alter the "seasons"

That's of course true for all resorts, but since DVC can "play" with the values within any given resort the point costs still can go up for someone if they always visit at the same time of the year (and for others it would go down obviously.

And if you are flexible enough, you can just follow the cheap seasons... :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter