DVC decision: studios at 7 month for 2-3 nights availability

michael730

Mike M
I apologize in advance for a question that’s been asked a million times.

Trying to pull the trigger on buying a resale contract and trying to make a final decision..

—For those of you who are currently members and have been for a bit of time. Would you say that it’s possible to find shorter stays 3/4 night at or close to the 7 month window for studios? I am aiming to be traveling in/around May and am aware of the “buy where you want to stay” mentality... But I really don’t have one particular resort I like to stay at..

So is it possible to get split stays at different resorts at the 7 month time frame for studios specifically? Even if it’s 2-4 nights a piece?

My only concern is I wouldn’t necessarily be interested to have to resort to staying at resorts such as Saratoga springs and old key west (not that I don’t like those resorts, I actually really want to stay at OKW). I love Disney and travel there at least once a year and love the different resorts. But if it is super difficult to get smaller stays for the studios at different resorts I may end up deciding against joining Bc I currently tend to stay at a deluxe for 3/4 nights and then a moderate for 2/3 nights.

I honestly would prefer to stay at resorts like Coronado springs or Port Orleans French quarter over Saratoga springs.. But on the flip side if I could do split stays like a few nights at Polynesian, boardwalk, copper creek, Boulder ridge, animal kingdom lodge etc it would def make sense to me to buy in.

Thanks so much in advance for the advice and sorry for the long and complicated post!
—Was thinking of buying a 100-130 point contact—

For a fall stay, not a lot of options. For May, you should have at least a few possibilities.

Larger resorts like OKW and AKV (not value or club level) will tend to be easier to get. But near park options like Beach Club are always iffy - people pay extra to buy in at BCV (despite its 2042 expiration) because they absolutely intend to book BCV at 11 months out...

This is a useful thread:

Predicted DVC booking patterns - Studios, 1-BD & 2-BD charts (September 2019 2-BD added!) | The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

Thank you! I’ve seen that thread so that is definitely helpful! I have no interest in really staying at beach club or value rooms I would be happy being able to stay in medium tier studio rooms (the rooms that aren’t standard and therefore are more points which make them a little easier to get). I would be happy being able to get a studio at poly or bwv or bay lake tower for even 3 nights, I would definitely be flexible in the weeks I would visit in the spring as well.

I... am aware of the “buy where you want to stay” mentality... But I really don’t have one particular resort I like to stay at...

Like I said about BCV, for those who absolutely want to be at BCV, they need to buy there and use the 11 month window.

They do need to "buy where they want to stay."

But there's no point in buying SSR if you would be disappointed to be "stuck" there. Too expensive. So you do still need to "buy where you don't mind staying."

I love OKW - the theming is relaxing and the studios are large with 2 real queen beds. But I do like to try other resorts sometimes...and if that doesn't pan out and I am "stuck" at OKW, I am still extremely happy. So definitely take your time before you commit and buy in...

(For the next few years, DVC will probably have tougher booking than in the past due to COVID related point compression. People are banking points forward and Aulani and GCV have been closed but their owners can still use points at WDW - so I'll repeat: "buy where you don't mind staying.")

It is a risky buy IMO. Some years you might get lucky and others not. Honestly, I wouldn't be willing to take that risk. I'm afraid you may end up paying a lot of money to be disappointed. If you can't get even split stays what will you do with your points? That is the risk. You've tied up your accommodation "fund" and paid for something you can't use. Are you willing to give up vacations or pay for other accommodations if there is nothing available?

The emotional draw to own DVC is huge but it really isn't for everybody. It is best for those that can commit to an 11 month window at their home resort. Good luck!

I have traveled during several different times of the year now and have had pretty good luck getting studios with my SSR SAPs (sleep around points) for my usual 4 night trips...which I usually do as 2 and 2.

It helps to be flexible with a day here or there, but so far, gotten most of the other resorts I wanted...Poly, VGF, BLT, BWV, and BCV.

I do own RIV and BLT as well so I use those for specific times and then fill in with the rest of the year.

But, if I had to stay at SSR some of the time, that would be okay, I am never set on certain ones for certain trips, but rather, what can I get that’s not SSR, OKW, or AKV.

My opinion is if you want to sleep around, buy the cheapest resort you won't be disappointed staying at.

Of the ones you specifically mention, I'd put them in this order in terms of what I've seen pop up for a few nights here and there when messing around with dates for my trips (but I'm not usually looking at May):

AKV (if not picky on Kidani vs Jambo or room view)
Poly
BWV (not standard)
CCV / BRV (not often for either)

If you include OKW, it is at the top with AKV.

I've seen a fair amount of BLT if only looking for 2 nights and at higher room views AND having flexible dates.

VGF pops up here and there but don't count on it. And just forget about BCV. lol

If you are talking about booking exactly at 7 months, have a little flex on dates, and only need 2 or 3 nights, you're going to find something IMO. But you have to be willing to accept your home resort / SSR sometimes or don't buy.

As a side note, have you ever actually stayed at SSR? I'm a POR lover converted to DVC, so I hear you. But SSR Preferred with a quick walk to DS is so hard not to like IMO. OKW was always on my wishlist but I still haven't gotten there.

The hardest thing for my family to "get over" since buying DVC is missing the food courts at the mods. We are in love with BWV but the mug refill situation there specifically brings a little tear to my eye. lol We've pretty much given up on mugs.

Also, 100-130 points seems like a lot of points for 2-4 nights in a studio in May. Seems like you could "afford" a 1 bedroom if studios aren't available. Or is that allotment for an additional trip sometime?

My opinion is if you want to sleep around, buy the cheapest resort you won't be disappointed staying at.

Of the ones you specifically mention, I'd put them in this order in terms of what I've seen pop up for a few nights here and there when messing around with dates for my trips (but I'm not usually looking at May):

AKV (if not picky on Kidani vs Jambo or room view)
Poly
BWV (not standard)
CCV / BRV (not often for either)

If you include OKW, it is at the top with AKV.

I've seen a fair amount of BLT if only looking for 2 nights and at higher room views AND having flexible dates.

VGF pops up here and there but don't count on it. And just forget about BCV. lol

If you are talking about booking exactly at 7 months, have a little flex on dates, and only need 2 or 3 nights, you're going to find something IMO. But you have to be willing to accept your home resort / SSR sometimes or don't buy.

As a side note, have you ever actually stayed at SSR? I'm a POR lover converted to DVC, so I hear you. But SSR Preferred with a quick walk to DS is so hard not to like IMO. OKW was always on my wishlist but I still haven't gotten there.

The hardest thing for my family to "get over" since buying DVC is missing the food courts at the mods. We are in love with BWV but the mug refill situation there specifically brings a little tear to my eye. lol We've pretty much given up on mugs.

Also, 100-130 points seems like a lot of points for 2-4 nights in a studio in May. Seems like you could "afford" a 1 bedroom if studios aren't available. Or is that allotment for an additional trip sometime?
Thank you so much for this information! And I plan to do a split stay at around 3 nights each hence why I am looking at around 100 points :-)

It’s funny you should ask about May specifically, bc I am a mega planner... except for the month of May! 😂 So, for the past 3 years I have made “last-minute” Disney plans (which to me means 4-6 months out, instead of at exactly 11 months 😉). 2019 & 20 trips were studio-only split-stays, and I was pretty stoked... but alas, only 2018 was actually traveled (@AKV studio- and I loved it!!). So, I’ve canceled at VGF, BWV, BLT, & SSR.

This year, I’m at it again! I’ve just booked another split-stay in May, but this time in 1-bedroom villas bc I had points to burn. 🔥 We’re hoping this year’s trip actually works out, so we can relax at CCV & BCV... and again, I’m super stoked 😁🤞

However, it is a risk that you won’t find multiple nights together, and would need to be happy at your home resort. I think it could be done (with patience, stalking, & waitlists), but it might not work out as often as you’d like.

I’ll add that someone said some years you get lucky and others you don’t. I don’t even own at WDW and I was able to pull together a 6 night stay at beach club In March. I know it’s rare and sometimes you just need to be pretty active on the booking website to see what pops up and be able to piece a reservation together and be flexible. I do know some people log in at 7 months and pick whatever they can and never look at the website again, and some like me keep things fluid until I’m happy with what I can get and live with. I’m staying a night prior to BC at OKW near hospitality house and honestly my entire mentality when buying DVC is I’m just happy to be on property. I bought in at the cheapest price possible and I’m just glad to be part of DVC and some year if I’m lucky to get something hard to get I just consider it icing on the cake.

AKL (not the value studio), Saratoga, Old Key West will be available outside the peak time.
Grand Floridian, Copper Creek, BLT, Boardwalk very difficult at the 11 month mark, almost impossible at the 7 month mark.
At least this is my experience in the last 2-3 years.

Two mantras are repeated on this board:
1) Buy where you want to stay. But this is true only for people who want to stay most, if not all, the times at one single resort. It doesn't seem your case
2) Buy the cheapest resort you don't mind to stay at
If you don't like SSR or OKW don't buy there or risk stress and frustrations for the next 30-40 years. The savings are not worth it.
In May, you have very good chance of switching resort at 7 months. And if something is not available, a waitlist for 3 nights has bood chances. You'll rarely be forced to stay at your home resort for trips in May. However, it may happen and that's when it doesn't make sense to buy a resort you don't like.
I would add that guest satisfation at SSR has increased by 20% since the current refurbishment (which everyone say it's very good), so maybe you might give it another go.

If you don't like OKW or SSR; next in like would be AKV or BLT, given the longer duration, cheapest buy in (AKV) and MF (BLT)

There are certainly times when it can be a challenge, but I have never not been able to get 3 to 4 days in a studio ( not SSR or OKW) as longs as I had some flexibility as to resort and what days where and view. It has at times taken some extra work during busy times including booking as much as I can right at 7 month (8am) setting up waitlists and checking availability closely. Doing split stays make it much easier.

And yes I have gotten AKV CL and value, BCV, and BLT, BWV and VGF standard studios

I do not travel at Easter or Christmas through new year

If you don't like SSR or OKW don't buy there or risk stress and frustrations for the next 30-40 years. The savings are not worth it.
In May, you have very good chance of switching resort at 7 months. And if something is not available, a waitlist for 3 nights has bood chances. You'll rarely be forced to stay at your home resort for trips in May. However, it may happen and that's when it doesn't make sense to buy a resort you don't like.

You may also, over the life of your contract, change the time of year you go....or Disney may change the appeal of the time of year you do go.

We bought for early October back when F&W started in mid-October - 20 years ago now. The kids had a school break and we loved early October weather and crowds. There was a nice gap in our work schedules that usually happened then due to the cadence of our industries. Then F&W moved back and getting the room became dicier (we own BWV) if we wanted Standard. But after a few years, the kids had activities over the break in October, and we moved to late August - before school started and when there was a Summer activity gap. Then they graduated, and last time we used points it was for Hilton Head in February. HHI is a pain in the back end to get over the Summer, but its currently not difficult for a mid-Winter snowbird vacation.

Also, every year brings more members as Disney opens up new resorts. VGF - for example - isn't getting any bigger (its a pretty small resort) and as more people join wanting to try it, it gets - slowly - more and more difficult to book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter