DVC Class System - Should Disney sell a full benefits add-on?

kedskit5

Earning My Ears
After watching the latest DVC show, Pete mentioned that Disney has created this DVC class system by putting in resale restrictions. I had never thought of this before and, in my opinion, it really devalues having a resale contract. I'm not saying having a resale contract is a bad thing as I will more than likely buy one within the next year. Do you think Disney should provide a "full benefits" add-on that allows members to purchase to get that blue card?

Thoughts?

They do, it's called a buying direct contract.

But, it's more complicated than it seems to offer that option. There already are different resale privileges based on purchase dates and now with the resale restrictions, there are a lot of different categories of owners and their different benefits.

But, it's more complicated than it seems to offer that option. There already are different resale privileges based on purchase dates and now with the resale restrictions, there are a lot of different categories of owners and their different benefits.
I was about to say the same thing! Lol. If you want the benefits buy direct. I cannot imagine them making it less expensive.

I was going to say the same thing. Sounds like trying to create a problem out of nothing. People were happy buying resale and even with the restrictions when they see how much money they save over direct....but now they’re being told they should not be happy? All benefits can be taken away at any time. When we first bought we got nothing but a beach bag and free valet parking (which was taken away). We were not able to purchase a dining plan, no discounts on tickets, nothing.

I know there are other timeshare systems out there that have similar restrictions for resale buyers.

Any resale owner can buy a direct contract for 100 points and will be a Blue card member, eligible for discounts and special events,

As long as an owner holds that contract, they remain eligible for the blue card benefits.

Now, the resale points will stay restricted but the new language in RIV documents will allow them to allow members to pay fees to qualify points. So, that could be on the horizon as well.

I don't think they will change it. Seems like Riviera Resort is selling pretty well.

The new AP prices gives buying direct a bigger perk. With tax, Gold is over $500 less than a non-member platinum.

The new AP prices gives buying direct a bigger perk. With tax, Gold is over $500 less than a non-member platinum.

Yep, buying at least 100 points direct is getting easier and easier to justify, especially for a family of 4 or bigger if the family is getting annual passes anyways.

Even if DVC offer full benefits add on, it won't be cheap, and I can imagine will end up being more than direct pricing after you add up everything.

Great3

I don't think they will ever sell "full benefits" add-ons. How do they sell something that isn't guaranteed, something that could get taken away or changed at any time at their sole discretion?

Would selling perks as an add-on obligate them to keep everything the same for the length of the conract? Seems risky and counter-productive. They make the most by selling direct.

DVC added the language with the addition of Riviera so obviously they have talked about it and envision either enough benefit to themselves or enough potential need to have it available to be done. Then it would depend on what it includes and what the cost is.

DVC added the language with the addition of Riviera so obviously they have talked about it and envision either enough benefit to themselves or enough potential need to have it available to be done. Then it would depend on what it includes and what the cost is.
Does the language on the Riviera contracts allow an add-on for full benefits or just the ability to use resale points at all resorts?

Does the language on the Riviera contracts allow an add-on for full benefits or just the ability to use resale points at all resorts?

I believe it only addresses exchanging. Since ancillary benefits have never been guaranteed to any buyer I wouldn't expect it to address that. I'd lean towards thinking they would include them though if they ever made the change.

It gives them lots of options to pretty much do what they want. They can reverse the restrictions, put them back in, allow someone to pay cash for qualified points, and can create a system that applied to some and not all DVC members.

Basically, they covered it all. It was not only in the POS but on a separate document that we had to sign acknowledging we understood resale restrictions and the rest,

While it didn’t specifically mention perks, it certainly seemed implied that changes could be different for those and the points.

should provide a "full benefits" add-on that allows members to purchase to get that blue card?
At first thought i was going to say yes, but in reality if they did offer this option why would anyone want to buy direct? You could conceivably get a great resale deal and then if DVC offered a $50pp upgrade fee you would likely end up better than buying direct. So no - they will never offer that option. They are doing their best to devalue the resale market and encourage direct purchases. That is their tactic and they will continue with their restrictions.

absolutely not. If the benefits matter, but direct. If people do their homework before buying resale, they know what benefits they can and cannot take advantage of. People seem very happy to save money buying resale, but some sure can get snippy when they realize they can’t save on an AP or go to moonlight magic.

I can see a business model benefit for Disney to offer a cash upgrade for restricted points to book at future resorts.
I highly doubt they would add blue card perks to white card members without direct buy in though..they need to maintain reason to buy direct. Just my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter