DVC causes family problems?

Wanted to add my story to the group. My DH and I bought into DVC 11/00 and have taken one trip with another planned. DH is not a huge Disney fan, but he does enjoy. What he really enjoys is playing golf, sooooo I make sure he has plenty of golf time while at WDW. They have great courses and he enjoys them. He has even taken lessons a couple of times, once as a B'day gift from me. I tour the parks and do things he doesn't enjoy as much and them later we do things together. In the 10 years that we have been married, I've learned to read his signals pretty good and know when to change the pace, if necessary. We both enjoyed having accomodations that we would otherwise probably not had the money for. I try to get him involved in the planning, but I end up doing most of it, which is okay. He is already saving $$ for his golf games in Oct and we've planned this trip for the Nat'l Car Rental Classic, a double bonus!!

As in all things, it is a compromise. There are still things we haven't yet experienced. We're booked at the new BCV and neither of us has ever been in that area of WDW. Keeping something "new" for each trip helps DH to be more excited about the trips.

I hope that all who travel to WDW, do so with open eyes and enjoy all the wonderful things there are to do!!

Someone else married to a golfer. That's exactly what I do-let him go and play golf and I usually go to the theme parks by myself. What's funny is that he was talking about a trip to Louisianna to play golf tonight and he had far more excitement in his voice than when we discuss our upcoming trip to WDW. Do you get free admission to the Nat'l Car Rental Classic as a DVC member? If so, sounds like I may be able to talk him into another WDW trip!

My husband is a golfer and he plays two to three times when we go to WDW. He likes to play EARLY in the morning (around 7am), so he catches a taxi to the course. I can then take my time in the morning and enjoy coffee and read on the balcony, take a long luxurious jacuzzi bath and maybe do some laundry and straighten up a bit. When he gets back we have lunch and wander over to the parks, or enjoy DD.

There have been a number of threads along these lines over the last couple of years. We schedule our trip and then selectively invite family along. We only ask them to pay a proportion of the hard expenses and all of their direct expenses. Fortunately we can afford to do it this way. The ones that tend to mooch aren't the ones invited. If anyone acted like we owed it to them, they would be on the outside looking in. It is easy to get taken advantage of so I'd suggest being honest and straightforward with any guests/family up front, it'll save a lot of problems later on. You set the rules and if they wont to go, they should follow them.

Simba's Mom, no he doesn't get free admission to Nat'l Car Rental classic because we're DVC members, but when we were there in Oct '01 he got the DVC golf pass (less expensive green fees at certain times, etc) and it is good until the end of Oct 02 so that is where the idea came from for this year. With the golf pass there is free admission to the tournament. I think the pass for the tournament is $50 for all four days. I will probably go a few times with him. The DVC golf pass was a good deal for him because he played last year and will play again this year and go to the Nat'l Car Rental Classic for the cost of the pass. The courses will let you ride along if you want. It is very relaxing (since you're only riding!) and the scenery is beautiful.
Enjoy

I must admit that I was once "that guy". That guy being the person that didn't want to go to Disney. I had been to MK once when I was 5, EPCOT at 8 and I thought that that was enough for me. My fiance however informed me that we couldn't afford to go to Jamaica like I had wanted but that we could go to WDW. I gave in.

We went to WDW for 10 days on our honeymoon. On the 9th day we stopped to find out what DVC was all about. After hearing the whole schpeel, I was hooked. My new DW had to get me to calm down. We could barely afford our apartment at the time. We bought in for the minimum points allotment.

We returned home with our new DVC membership. My DW was planning our first trip. September of 2000, we were going to BWV and then to Vero for a couple of days. My MIL caught wind of it and guilt-tripped her way in.

Since that trip, my in-laws have had no problems being sold on the DVC thing. Mostly because of MIL and the fact that we took 3 teenage cousins to WDW in Dec and they loved it. We paid for the entire trip for the 3 kids. MIL usually helps a little bit when she goes. My DW family doesn't plan for much, lving paycheck to paycheck, scraping by all the time. The weird part is that they get it. My family that methodically plans for everything is the family that doesn't get it. My father looks at it as a expensive version of what he has. My parents have just a regular timeshare. They bug me about how much we are spending on vacations and how much we aren't saving and all that. I know that that is what parents do, worry about their kids, but I know what my finances are.

I must admit that looking at my finances as a 24 yr old I am doing much better than my father at my age so it might be hard for him. Maybe they will be better when they come to stay with us.

All of the people I work with now know of my Disney obsession and understand it or at least pretend that they do. They just assume that I am going every long weekend that we have.

Where do these non-Disney loving people come from anyway?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter