DVC buying strategy for new CA DVC resort.

Nelson Rodriguez

Madd_Hatter
Hello Everyone,
I am completely new to DVC buying.
I am a CA native and I am very excited about the new DVC resort in CA.
Does anyone have an strategies to get a "guaranteed" spot in line to buy DVC in this new tower?
Any strategies would be hugely useful.

Thank you,
NR

Emphatically agree with @davidl81. You won't be shut out and don't need to worry about it. Just wait for it to go on sale (which won't be for quite a while), and then call DVC sales.

Last edited:
I will add that generally speaking buying early is the best time cost wise to get in. Generally cost go up every year and my gut feeling is the Disney Land tower is going to be popular and DVC wont have to have big incentives. This all assumes that we get back to a "normal" world once the new tower goes on sale.

"guaranteed" spot in line

The only other thing if you are dead set on purchasing there is to simply reach out to a DVC guide now, outline that you are looking to purchase at and only at DL, and that you are looking for information as it comes.

Follow up every 6 months and then just keep an eye here as we start getting 12-18 months out from the likely opening to see when it starts going on sale.

Put it this way if it sold out crazy fast it would still be weeks if not a few months before it sold out. Its not like a $20 pair of ears that someone buys 1k of to resell on Ebay for 200% markup.

Don't forget VGC, which is in a better location and the hottest reservation in the DVC system.

There's always VGC resale, if you don't want the AP discount or wait however long it will take for the new building.

You also might want to take a look at the plans. The proposal for the new tower is VERY heavy on studios and pod studios. If that isn't your jam, VGC might be a better fit.

Don't forget VGC, which is in a better location and the hottest reservation in the DVC system.

There's always VGC resale, if you don't want the AP discount or wait however long it will take for the new building.

You also might want to take a look at the plans. The proposal for the new tower is VERY heavy on studios and pod studios. If that isn't your jam, VGC might be a better fit.

Good call out and at least know how expensive that will be. You would wait the next 4-5 years, VGC get more expensive, and the pricing on cost and points required is outrageous on the new tower.

The only other thing if you are dead set on purchasing there is to simply reach out to a DVC guide now, outline that you are looking to purchase at and only at DL, and that you are looking for information as it comes.

Follow up every 6 months and then just keep an eye here as we start getting 12-18 months out from the likely opening to see when it starts going on sale.

Put it this way if it sold out crazy fast it would still be weeks if not a few months before it sold out. Its not like a $20 pair of ears that someone buys 1k of to resell on Ebay for 200% markup.

Thanks for the reply. We only go to Disneyland. We will travel to Disneyworld eventually, but we are deadset on the "Land".
Grand Californian is also an option, but we cannot get DVC to get us a reservation to buy in that resort.
We plan to get this as soon as possible when the tower is open.

Thanks again for everything.

Sorry for the newb question....
But what is VGC?

I looked into the resale market, but that has HUGE limitations for us.
I am looking for the "full" experience. Discounts, etc...
For the money, I would rather buy from DVC and get the "discounts" etc...

DVC can't get you points at VGC because the owners are holding on to all the points! i have seen a few pop up on the resale market though and to be honest, the cost seems high, but i guarantee you the cost will be higher for this new tower. Disneyland is a totally different demand than WDW. I agree with what someone said above and have a plan in place, make a relationship with a guide and keep in contact. But just be prepared for pricing, it wont be cheap :) I live near Disneyland as well, but i find i use DVC at WDW/offsite disney more than i would for disneyland as i stay at neighboring hotels for far less and just walk to the park. Good luck!

Sorry for the newb question....
But what is VGC?

I looked into the resale market, but that has HUGE limitations for us.
I am looking for the "full" experience. Discounts, etc...
For the money, I would rather buy from DVC and get the "discounts" etc...

There aren't really any discounts at Disneyland. There is no deal on Disneyland annual passes. You do get a merchandise discount, but you could get almost the same discount with a Disney chase card. You also could get the merchandise discount with an AP. You would get 20 percent off select tours. You would also get access to moonlight magic when it comes back.

If you want direct at Disneyland, then buy direct at the new tower. Assuming the new tower fits your needs (lots studios). If you want 1-2 bedrooms, and like the style of VGC, I would consider resale there. Direct is not an option at VGC, but most of the resale negatives really don't affect a resale VGC owner.

Yeah, we own at VGC and I would never feel the need to buy direct if that was the only place I planned to travel (we do WDW occasionally and bought a direct contract there back when the minimum was 25 points-I wouldn’t have gone higher than that based on our travel patterns). At DL, you save a whole $20 on your annual pass and get some merch discounts. That’s basically it. That plus the fact there are no direct VGC contracts available make resale an easy decision I think. Now, I love the theming at the DL hotel-I live in the pacific NW-we love the Grand but the theming doesn’t feel particularly unique or Disney to me-so I will definitely be tempted by the new tower there, but it’ll be hard to swallow the price, especially with the anticipated high point charts, resale restrictions, and the over-reliance on studios (we typically travel with our kids and a couple of their friends/adult daughter’s partner so book 2 bedrooms).

You might consider (depending on how often you want to go and what your $$$ situation is), getting a resale contract now for Grand Californian (I mean - it's such a cool property especially since it has an entrance right into California Adventure - ridiculous!). Owning there would get you that 11 month (instead of 7 month) priority to book at GC. Then if you really want a blue card / benefits you can snag a direct contract of 100+ points (or whatever the minimum is at that time) to the new DL tower. Current DVC members will get a small time advantage before non-members to buy at the new tower (but as others have said if you are ready to buy when it first goes on sale, you'll probably be just fine) and you will also get "add-on" discount options - so depending on how many points you want to buy you'll get some per point discount beyond what new members would get (or so is the usual practice). But yes the new tower is super slanted to studios so keep that in mind - if you want a 1 or 2 bedroom, they are going to be super hot commodities likely at the DL Tower while relatively easier for GC owners to get larger rooms at that property.

DVC can't get you points at VGC because the owners are holding on to all the points! i have seen a few pop up on the resale market though and to be honest, the cost seems high, but i guarantee you the cost will be higher for this new tower. Disneyland is a totally different demand than WDW. I agree with what someone said above and have a plan in place, make a relationship with a guide and keep in contact. But just be prepared for pricing, it wont be cheap :) I live near Disneyland as well, but i find i use DVC at WDW/offsite disney more than i would for disneyland as i stay at neighboring hotels for far less and just walk to the park. Good luck!
I don’t know if that’s true about the cost. It seems like VGC usually goes for around $235 per point. If the Disneyland Tower opened above that, I think it would be the largest jump in DVC history.

The discounts at DL for DVC are pure rubbish.

It sounds like you believe DVC members are treated special? Honestly, DVC get a few things here and there, but Disney know they have your money and you aren't getting an elite or VIP level of service.

I don’t know if that’s true about the cost. It seems like VGC usually goes for around $235 per point. If the Disneyland Tower opened above that, I think it would be the largest jump in DVC history.

They dont have to just raise the price per point they can also raise the point requirement significantly.

Yeah, we own at VGC and I would never feel the need to buy direct if that was the only place I planned to travel (we do WDW occasionally and bought a direct contract there back when the minimum was 25 points-I wouldn’t have gone higher than that based on our travel patterns). At DL, you save a whole $20 on your annual pass and get some merch discounts. That’s basically it. That plus the fact there are no direct VGC contracts available make resale an easy decision I think. Now, I love the theming at the DL hotel-I live in the pacific NW-we love the Grand but the theming doesn’t feel particularly unique or Disney to me-so I will definitely be tempted by the new tower there, but it’ll be hard to swallow the price, especially with the anticipated high point charts, resale restrictions, and the over-reliance on studios (we typically travel with our kids and a couple of their friends/adult daughter’s partner so book 2 bedrooms).

Thank you for your feedback.
How do you like VGC? When do you feel it "paid" itself off.
I would love your unique perspective on buying VGC.

Thank u everyone fo your help.
Can someone tell me about the benefits of actually going through Disney Direct?
I just reviewed the discounts and it wasn't much, but it is something.
Can someone tell me which benefits are worth it, and which ones are just hype?

Also which websites are you recommending for disney resale?
I would like to go with a place that can help me out with my questions. I have a TON of questions.

Thank u everyone fo your help.
Can someone tell me about the benefits of actually going through Disney Direct?
I just reviewed the discounts and it wasn't much, but it is something.
Can someone tell me which benefits are worth it, and which ones are just hype?

Also which websites are you recommending for disney resale?
I would like to go with a place that can help me out with my questions. I have a TON of questions.

I am going to preface my response with the fact that both contracts I own are post January 2019 Resale. This means I do not have access to really any direct Benefit; which means I may get some things slightly wrong, in the sense that I may have a number slightly off as I am going from memory. I am going to go through the "Benefits" listed on https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/dvc-direct-vs-resale/

2nd Point: Don't buy Riviera resale. All the resale stuff I am about to type applies to resale for every resort EXCEPT Riviera Resale. Riviera resale can barely see the short end of the stick, let alone hold the short end. Given that you want to be @ Disneyland, buying Riviera resale would be the same as setting your money on fire, as you would only be allowed to stay at Riviera in Walt Disneyworld.

Disney Collection Resorts / Disney Cruise Line / Adventures by Disney / Concierge Collection : All of these are a way to use your points instead of cash to have a Non-DVC vacation. You can use your points to stay in collection resorts all over the world; you can use your points to do an Adventures by Disney guided tour trip; or take a Disney Cruise. You can even use your points to stay at a Disney park, in a non DVC hotel. However - all of these programs value your points at roughly $8.00 a point. They are a very poor use of points; and barely break even on yearly dues.

Discounts on Theme Park Tickets: At Disneyworld this is actually a big deal. Direct DVC Members basically get $400 off the Gold Annual Pass....assuming Disney starts selling it again after Covid19. At Disneyland; its like $20 Off your annual pass. Resale owners don't get these saving.

Access to Member Cruises: Do you like cruises? Do you want to take a cruise where EVERYONE owns DVC? If yes - then this is a legitimate benefit that a resale owner will not get to take. You can pay cash for this cruise, but you have to be a direct member to do so.

Exclusive Member Events (Moon Light Magic) : After hours parties for Direct Disney DVC members; there are roughly a half dozen a year (I think). These have currently been cancelled for 2020. Once again, this has the potential to be a legitimate benefit that a resale owner does not get to take.

Dining and Shopping Discounts - Various % (I think its set by the merchant, but lets assume 10-20%). Resale members do not get to have this perk. But, they can still buy APs and get the AP Discount, which is about the same. Or use their Disney Chase Visa card, which is about the same. Assuming the DVC discount is 5% better than the other discounts, to make up a $10000 sale price difference would require $200000 of meals and souvenirs. I think this one is a wash, and should not be factored in at all.

Recreation Discounts : I'm not actually sure what this one is, maybe it the discount on tours? or golf? or other random experiences? I'm not educated enough to judge this one.

Can Use Disney Vacation Club points at all resorts: To put this simply Resale and Direct can book ALL of the exact same resorts, within the exact same windows. Except a resale member cannot book at Riviera in WDW, or the new DVC tower. A resale member can book at 14 out of 15 (soon to be 16) resorts. Now in your case, the new DVC tower is one you would not be able to book at. That's kind of a big deal. But if you own at Grand Californian, you can book your room there during the 11 month booking window, which means you will never need to stay at the new DVC Tower.

World Collection: Can use your points to trade into RCI and use them at RCI Properties. Again a bad use of points, and it is kind of the last resort use of points. Both Resale and Direct can do this

Top of the World Lounge (In Bay Lake Tower at Walt Disney World): Cool Lounge with Fireworks viewing, both resale and direct have access to not worth getting into it.

Going back to your specific case, depending on the Pricing of the New tower; there is the potential that direct will be extremely expensive. As a Disneyland traveler, direct won't get you much. You will be able to book at the DVC Tower at 11 months, and at the Grand Californian at 7 months. If you buy the Grand Resale, you can book the Grand at 11 months, but can never book the new tower. You will need to decide how much you like the Grand Californian vs the new tower.

Cost Wise the Grand Californian is currently being sold resale for approximately $200 a point (give or take). It is not available Direct; Disney has no point inventory to sell, and people have been on the waitlist for years. Assuming the new DVC tower is priced at $260; which is what VGC was at before they closed the waitlist. That is a $6000 savings per 100 points. I really don't see much on the above list I think are worth $6000. I see a lot of cool stuff on the list that I would love to do; but $6000 could make quite a fun list of other cool things to do too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!