DVC Blue Card benfits!?!

I'm pretty sure if you buy resale, you can't use your points at RR or any future DVC property. If they ever get more properties built, this will be a big advantage of a blue card.

The blue card is not what entitles one to use points at RIV and beyond. It is the actual points. Someone can purchase 75 points today direct and use those points at RIV and new resorts even if they are a resale owner already who does not have the blue card.

They are two different benefits of buying direct.

Especially at the former pace of one new resort every 4 years. With Reflections "cancelled", there aren't any other resorts in the pipeline after DLT, so maybe by 2031 you might lose access to a total of 4 resorts out of 18? Five or ten years is a long time to wait to enjoy that Blue Card benefit you paid throug the nose for in 2021.

For me it’s not about losing access to the new resorts, it’s about the number of new resort owners who will saturate the systems. Those new owners can stay anywhere but others will be restricted to the less resorts at that 7-month window. Those reservations will be hard to come by.

I don’t know how to quantify this but I have 2 direct contracts and 1 resale. I have only received upgrades to rooms I’ve booked with direct points. I’ve only been a member for 3 years so I don’t have a lot of pre Covid time to compare. It’s 375 direct 300 resale and I’ve had 3 stays upgraded without asking along with 7 stays not upgraded. Again, no way to quantify but it would be interesting if we could see if it were a “blue card” consideration.
I've gotten upgraded from studio to 2 bedroom and I'm resale

They are selling the sourcers pass to white card members now in person at the parks now. my whole party got one showing white cards as did lots of other white card members i met this week

We need more real blue card benefits and not just minor discounts. In order to recoup the increased price difference between direct and resale points this would amount to 10k to 30k. Disney needs to show blue card members some real love since there isn't any current massive financial benefits.
I agree with this, and I'm not a blue card member. I have an annual pass, and that gives me almost the same amount of perks as the blue card. What incentive is there to buy direct right now? Not enough to make up the difference in price.

For me it’s not about losing access to the new resorts, it’s about the number of new resort owners who will saturate the systems. Those new owners can stay anywhere but others will be restricted to the less resorts at that 7-month window. Those reservations will be hard to come by.
But the same logic applies: if they don't open new resorts at the same pace they have been recently (nothing beyond DLT and "VGF2"), then existing resale members will neither lose out on access to new resorts, nor existing owners have to deal eith a new influx of owners able to reserve without restrictions. Or am I missing something?

They are selling the sourcers pass to white card members now in person at the parks now. my whole party got one showing white cards as did lots of other white card members i met this week

As well as WDW ticketing phone through phone as we just bought ours. I was pleasantly surprised.

As of a couple of weeks ago there was a DVC discount for specialty fireworks cruises. I can’t remember if it was 10 or 15%. I called yesterday since it was my 60 day window and MS said no discount. I said it was there when I checked a couple of weeks ago. I proceeded to book anyway but after hanging up went to DVC benefits page and it’s still listed but no discount amount and when you click on it stitch ate the page. So another perk down the drain I guess.

We did the pontoon boat about a month ago and got 10% off because of DVC/blue card. That was direct with the activities person right before we sailed.

Gonna be honest - it’s a sad list for convincing anyone to go blue.

A great time for white to get a benefit after getting almost nothing for years.

Without a more advantageous deal on APs, discounts on incredipass, or other forms of admission tickets (length of stay?) or a suitable boost to membership extras, I don’t see why anyone would ever go direct. Does anyone need to stay at Riviera that badly? Or save ten bucks off a $230 pp holiday party?

Even with it, there’s still some perking up that could be done. Return of moonlight magic, for example.

I will note that I saw there’s a ton more dining options that accept dvc than did 5 years ago. That could come in handy if someone decides the AP price hikes aren’t worth it.

Without a more advantageous deal on APs, discounts on incredipass, or other forms of admission tickets (length of stay?) or a suitable boost to membership extras, I don’t see why anyone would ever go direct. Does anyone need to stay at Riviera that badly? Or save ten bucks off a $230 pp holiday party?

Even with it, there’s still some perking up that could be done. Return of moonlight magic, for example.

I will note that I saw there’s a ton more dining options that accept dvc than did 5 years ago. That could come in handy if someone decides the AP price hikes aren’t worth it.

I do. RIV is my favorite resort and I had restricted points and sold because it just didn’t fit our plans.

Who knows what the future will hold too in terms of newer resorts and I do believe that all those 2042 resorts will be new resorts restricted from resale. So, those buying for long term can benefit.

Given that you can get into direct for similar cost to some of the resale places, it may be worth it, especially if one does not travel during DVCs fall frenzy.

Isn’t there a discount on tours too (when they resume)? I’m thinking Wild Africa Trek, snorkeling at Epcot, Keys to the Kingdom, etc.
Yes there is about 10-20% depending on the tour, I think we got 20% off of the Afrika Trek tour, well worth it!

I completely agree that these discounts/ perks are pretty pathetic. Not monetarily worth very much at all... Shame on Disney

I didn’t buy DVC for perks but they are incredibly poor. There’s the Epcot Lounge which I like. Then there’s food discount at sit down only. You get that with an AP anyway. The markup on food and merchandise is massive and 20% would be a more realistic discount to offer. And then that’s it for the majority as useful discounts. Epcot Lounge and 10% off some sit down if you don’t have an AP. Oh and the single pass which is now no good for us as we go holidays being UK and having school age children (when Joe decides to let us in). I’d now have to make 3, possibly 4 2 week trips a year to make a pass pay compared to UK 14 day tickets.
I’m waiting for them to announce when Epcot Lounge will shut but fortunately the unwillingness to spend on upgrading that building is keeping it open ironically.
When people on these boards warned for years, do not buy for perks- how right they were!

I didn’t buy DVC for perks but they are incredibly poor. There’s the Epcot Lounge which I like. Then there’s food discount at sit down only. You get that with an AP anyway. The markup on food and merchandise is massive and 20% would be a more realistic discount to offer. And then that’s it for the majority as useful discounts. Epcot Lounge and 10% off some sit down if you don’t have an AP. Oh and the single pass which is now no good for us as we go holidays being UK and having school age children (when Joe decides to let us in). I’d now have to make 3, possibly 4 2 week trips a year to make a pass pay compared to UK 14 day tickets.
I’m waiting for them to announce when Epcot Lounge will shut but fortunately the unwillingness to spend on upgrading that building is keeping it open ironically.
When people on these boards warned for years, do not buy for perks- how right they were!

Discount is 20% on merchandise. It has been for a long time. Or were you saying it should be more?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter