DVC Announces New Leader

:thanks:Thank you for everyone posting their opinions (it opened my eyes :earseek: to things I hadn't noticed) and for everyone "in the know" posting their views (to give us the information :hyper2: we didn't know). This has certainly been educational :teacher: and interesting.

Unless you know this to be true, why in the world would you insinuate such. Do we have to discredit someone before we even see what type of leadership she will present.

I like the resort specific merchandise as much as anyone but if you went to any of the outlets you would always find plenty of resort and dvc merchandise, so obviously it was not selling.

I'm not trying to discredit her, I am simply asking if retail merchandise was part of her previous responsibilities. IMO Disney's retail merchandise is not the quality that it once was and based on other peoples comments, I don't feel that my opinion is incorrect. People usually don't change and you can pretty much bet that future performance will be similar to past performance.

Just trying to get a feel of who we are dealing with and hoping that she can make the DVC so popular that resale prices double, new resorts are sold by lottery, and that each member never has to deal with negative DVC issues while on vacation again.

:earsboy: Bill

This sounds like a solid step in the right direction. I'm excited to see what Ms. Bilby will bring to DVC. She will clearly have a lot on her plate, but I hope she makes a little time to read the DISboards!! I'm sure she'll learn a lot. :)

This sounds like a solid step in the right direction. I'm excited to see what Ms. Bilby will bring to DVC. She will clearly have a lot on her plate, but I hope she makes a little time to read the DISboards!! I'm sure she'll learn a lot. :)

I agree! I like reading positive things about her from someone who knows her. I hope she will read the DIS boards, too. You're right, she could learn a lot!

Interesting thing about the dues, "buyers who have already purchased points in Aulani will get a credit toward their annual dues equal to the difference between the original quoted amount and whatever higher price Disney sets now". Does this mean the original owners dues will be permanently lower than someone who buys after adjustment?

Interesting thing about the dues, "buyers who have already purchased points in Aulani will get a credit toward their annual dues equal to the difference between the original quoted amount and whatever higher price Disney sets now". Does this mean the original owners dues will be permanently lower than someone who buys after adjustment?

I interpret it to mean (for example) if the first year's assessment was, say, $5.00/point and it is deemed it should have been $6.00, DVD will eat the $1.00 difference for the first year. After that, dues to members will be what they are. If next year is $7.00, that's what you'll pay.

WOW - that article is stunning! I can't believe they have halted sales until they figure out what to do about the maintenance fees - they have been pushing Aulani hard for months, and now if you call and say you want to buy they are going to tell you they won't sell Aulani points until who knows when? It just seems very disorganized and panicked - not presenting a very good image of DVC. Just wow.

DVC will get not another dime from me until they get rid of the bull **** booking fee for other resorts on property!! I can park my own car, I can pay (nearly resident rates for an AP) but I will be DAMNED if I am going to pay extra to stay in a Disney resort room when there is NO AVAILABILITY at a DVC resort because THEY have over sold!

Good riddance Mr. Lewis - Are you listening Ms. Bilby???:mic:

Huh? I don't think they have oversold..that would be a much bigger legal deal than underestimating dues...at any one time places will book up..they don't guarantee you a room at any time you wish.
That said, there is no $95 fee at the resort hotels of DLR..nice perk there and hope that stays.

When Jim Lewis started he was Vice President (or maybe Sr. Vice President). it was 3-4 years before he was named President of DVC.

I agree that getting an e-mail out to the members (many of whom probably didn't even know what happened) is a great first start. The one area I thought went down under Jim Lewis was communication.

Yes. but it looks like they have been doing restructuring, putting Karl Holz over so many divisions, so maybe that title left with Mr. Lewis.

I was telling my DH about this earlier this evening and told him I though that putting a woman in charge might not be such a bad thing....he just rolled his eyes at me ;)

ETA: I just checked and I haven't received any email from DVC as of yet....I'm just going by what my fellow DVCers have been posting on the boards

I am curious why some think DVC needs a woman?

I don't think having a woman in charge will do anything different than a man if it is the right person.

Man or woman, I could care less - I just want the best person to lead DVC.

I interpret it to mean (for example) if the first year's assessment was, say, $5.00/point and it is deemed it should have been $6.00, DVD will eat the $1.00 difference for the first year. After that, dues to members will be what they are. If next year is $7.00, that's what you'll pay.

Someone posted in the other threat that they emailed the Sentinel writer, who clarified that the credit will carry forward.

I can't see why they wouldn't try to equalize the dues over the years, though, but maybe there is some other provision that prevents them from doing so.

As a newer member (we bought resale last spring), we are still in the honeymoon stage of owning DVC. I don't know much about JL but have been actively reading all the posts about his departure. I did receive the email about his successor last night and was pleased that they got the announcement out in a timely manner. I wish her luck and hope that she takes advantage of one of their best forms of advertising - a happy owner.

It's very unlikely that our new leader had anything to do with "souvenir" merchandising. But, I have to comment on it anyway. Did anybody else see the ABC Evening News series "Made in America"? In essence, it encouraged Americans to buy American-made goods based on the statistic that if every American spent a dollar more on American-made goods, it would create 10,000 (?-not positive about this number) new American jobs. Supreme irony - ABC being a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company.

I thought it was interesting that today's Sentinal article states that JL did NOT receive a severance package as part of his dismissal. I know some where concerned about that, and ultimately where the monies would be pulled from...

I thought it was interesting that today's Sentinal article states that JL did NOT receive a severance package as part of his dismissal. I know some where concerned about that, and ultimately where the monies would be pulled from...

popcorn::

I can't wait to see how this shakes out. Large companies such as Disney do not fire several highly-paid executives for an unintentional accounting mistake without giving severance. The purpose of severance is to get a release and waiver of claims so the company does not get sued. The only reason the company does not worry about getting this is if the employees are fired for cause, ie, they've done something that is more than just a mistake.

Were JL and his buddies misrepresenting the cost knowing they can cut costs on the project to save some money, and also increase dues later? Did they discover the error and attempt to hide it and mislead company execs and regulators? Or was this just the last straw of something bigger? Only time will tell.

popcorn::

I am curious why some think DVC needs a woman?

I don't think having a woman in charge will do anything different than a man if it is the right person.

Man or woman, I could care less - I just want the best person to lead DVC.

Best WOMAN for the job gets my vote too! It's our only hope of un-doing the 'NOT Key West' decor in the 'refurbished' OKW villas!!! :rotfl:

Seriously, Congrats, Ms. Bilby! :flower3:
Your loyal DVC Members are here to help make your job of selling DVC as easy as pie (as long as we can have FAITH & TRUST that DVC remembers to Mousekeep, upkeep & update our villas & resorts & also to sprinkle PIXIEDUST on your Owner-Members whenever possible!) :tinker:

Someone posted in the other threat that they emailed the Sentinel writer, who clarified that the credit will carry forward.

I can't see why they wouldn't try to equalize the dues over the years, though, but maybe there is some other provision that prevents them from doing so.

It had better carry forward for the length of the CONTRACT, not just for one year! A two-tiered system is clearly possible with the current computer applications and is already in use for VB (?), from what I read here, though I do not own there and have no first-hand knowledge.

I purchased Aulani a few months back, just before they discontinued sales, obviously not knowing any of the problems with the finances we are all just learning about. The stated member dues amount of $4.31/point, clearly outlined in my CONTRACT (legal and binding between me and DVDMC), definitely figured into my decision to purchase.

If they now say that the amount should be double (or more!), that's fraud, pure and simple, especially if it was known to JL and his cronies, which seems clear at this point that he did! Imagine the lawyers lining up at their doorstep!

Now you know why JL and the others got the boot in an unceremonius fashion (and without severence) late on a Friday afternoon! And now we all know why they simply can't "fix" the dues amount at a new level and get on with sales. They are legally bound by the existing CONTRACTS to honor their word!

Thank you GRAYDON (or should we call you DEEP THROAT? :scared1:) for breaking this news!

And welcome to Ms. Bilby! You have a huge job ahead of you to turn this wonderful part of Disney operations around. I have owned since December of 1991 (yes, one of the first believers!) and have never once regretted my purchase (and multiple add-on purchases, direct and resale since then)... Please don't let Aulani be my first!

And please read the DIS regularly... happy owners, like me and many others, are your best assets! And, as you can see, we are totally unafraid to share our opinions openly and regularly, so you can start saving money on the polling...just come by here and sit a spell! :surfweb:
Welcome aboard!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter