DVC and annual passes

Disney is pushing the limit of what people will pay. there will be a price point where there will be a noticeable drop off in attendance. Kinda like people refusing to pay sky high ticket prices to concerts like Springsteen, etc.

We got Grand Californian several years ago at half the price it is now which is great. But now we get killed on the APs prices. Anyone else feeling the pain
Yeah, I'm a bit sore (feeling bruised, beaten). We have Dream MK and were planning to renew with plenty of VGC reservations on the books including Christmas. But given the new block-out window ... that reservation had to be cancelled and now I'm feeling a bit sullen and undecided. Renew to Inspire? Drop down to SoCal? or don't bother? Hmmm. We'll make one attempt to renew on our next on-site visit (early Sept). If they are "sold out" of Inspire on that date or it isn't easy for whatever reason ... we might just take it as a "sign" and walk away. Hmmmmmmmmm and, for added measure, Harrrumph.

What rules do FL AP holders follow? How easy it is for them to say, none of the kids have soccer, baseball, swim meets or karate class, and it's less than 2000 degrees, let's go to disney today? What are the chances they can just jump in the car? Repeat with three days from now none of the kids have......... let plan to go to disney. Do locals (mean less than two hours away) find out no room at the inn that day?

I'm not local and I don't go enough to see how quickly the AP bucket fills and the last few trips with the reservation system, I was on site and made plans months in advance.

What rules do FL AP holders follow? How easy it is for them to say, none of the kids have soccer, baseball, swim meets or karate class, and it's less than 2000 degrees, let's go to disney today? What are the chances they can just jump in the car? Repeat with three days from now none of the kids have......... let plan to go to disney. Do locals (mean less than two hours away) find out no room at the inn that day?

I'm not local and I don't go enough to see how quickly the AP bucket fills and the last few trips with the reservation system, I was on site and made plans months in advance.

I bet the local AP holders who do many of those last minute visits are ones who may be retirees, singles, etc.

But, many times these are not trips, but daily visits.

Rarely are all parks booked on a given day. It may end up being tap somewhere else to ultimately go where you want to go, which is an aggravation for sure, but not a true hindrance. I think a lot more is made of the 'local problem' than really exists. Is it a nuisance? Sure. But most times, I bet it's very workable.

Honestly, my assessment to locals based on what I've read is that the problem IS planning. I don't think spontaneity is nearly the problem it's being made out to be.

Honestly, my assessment to locals based on what I've read is that the problem IS planning. I don't think spontaneity is nearly the problem it's being made out to be.

But to be fair, with only 3 reservations that can be held at a time, a local can’t do the kind of planning that those of us who have on site reservations can.

If a local AP holder wants to go for a specific time a few months out and uses the spots they are basically shut out until those dates.

So, technically, it could block them from using the pass for months. Anyone who visits regularly can’t plan more than a few weeks at a time with the 3 pass limit.

That’s why I think the limit should me more. Maybe instead of 3 total, it’s 3 at a time within a one month span but can hold more than that over the course of several months.

But to be fair, with only 3 reservations that can be held at a time, a local can’t do the kind of planning that those of us who have on site reservations can.

If a local AP holder wants to go for a specific time a few months out and uses the spots they are basically shut out until those dates.

So, technically, it could block them from using the pass for months. Anyone who visits regularly can’t plan more than a few weeks at a time with the 3 pass limit.

That’s why I think the limit should me more. Maybe instead of 3 total, it’s 3 at a time within a one month span but can hold more than that over the course of several months.
That 3 park reservation (not associated with a resort reservation) limit only applies to the Pixie Dust Pass which is only valid on weekdays and is subject to holiday block outs.

The other annual passes that FL Residents can renew to offer more park reservations:
The Pirate Pass allows for 4 park reservations that are not associated with a resort reservation.
The Sorcerer Pass allows for 5 park reservations that are not associated with a resort reservation.

That 3 park reservation (not associated with a resort reservation) limit only applies to the Pixie Dust Pass which is only valid on weekdays and is subject to holiday block outs.

The other annual passes that FL Residents can renew to offer more park reservations:
The Pirate Pass allows for 4 park reservations that are not associated with a resort reservation.
The Sorcerer Pass allows for 5 park reservations that are not associated with a resort reservation.

But still, that is pretty limited for someone who wants to go often. It doesn’t allow many reservations for short term if you have to use them for other times.

Thats why the rumor that they would be adding chances for APs to do more with start times later in the day would be great for them.

But still, that is pretty limited for someone who wants to go often. It doesn’t allow many reservations for short term if you have to use them for other times.

Thats why the rumor that they would be adding chances for APs to do more with start times later in the day would be great for them.
I changed my mind on the afternoon passes. As long as they have sufficient all day passes to honor our contract for those in Bucket 2 who want to go in the morning, having short notice afternoon and evening entry that does not count against the park holds would be a good thing.

Even 5 holds is a problem compared to the liberty of the "length of stay" exception. They can do advance planning.
Even ticket holders who do not stay on-site or in one of the 15 partner hotels have the advantage of advanced planning.
Anyone who can use Bucket 1 can do advanced planning. Only Bucket 2 guests are disadvantaged.

It is now August. Assume have a Sorcerer or Incredi-pass with 5 holds and I want to spend 5 days at Christmas. I use all of them because I have family coming. There was a huge ticket sale in the UK for the Holiday season. I see hotel reservations are selling out. Maybe park reservations are starting to turn yellow already. I am worried if I wait until December to make park reservations, they will be unavailable. (Hypothetical here).
If I reserve parks now for 5 December days, then, I can't go between now and December. But, I live nearby so there's no point in staying on-site in DVC, Disney hotels or 15 partner hotels. My ticketed family members will be able to make advance reservations because they are staying at my house, but they have tickets and get to do advanced planning and pull from Bucket 1. But, Bucket 2 APs would be disadvantaged.

Last edited:
Which is why Disney will control the number of passes that are in circulation to allow for those holders to get the bulk of the year as available when booking in advance. I see new sales being an on and off type of thing in the future.

As renewals don't happen, they will open up for more sales, etc.

Seems like we're approaching sports-season-pass-style multi-year AP waitlists. Can you imagine?

"I've been on the waitlist for 7 years now, they just called me and my name came up!"

"We just had our baby; first thing I did was put their names on the AP waitlist."

"I've had an AP for 13 years now. I only go once or twice a year, but I refuse to let it lapse since I'll never get it back if want it."

I have a trip booked for January, that I intend to go on using just regular base tickets, but I may cancel my June trip, rent the points out, and take a Carnival cruise out of Galveston. I've haven't been on a cruise in about 5 yearss or so, and I do like cruising.

Seems like we're approaching sports-season-pass-style multi-year AP waitlists. Can you imagine?

"I've been on the waitlist for 7 years now, they just called me and my name came up!"

"We just had our baby; first thing I did was put their names on the AP waitlist."

"I've had an AP for 13 years now. I only go once or twice a year, but I refuse to let it lapse since I'll never get it back if want it."
Yep, I think you are on to something here!

FWIW, we held SoCal Resident passes at DLR for many years because "one could renew -- but not purchase as new." That memory is already engrained into SoCal minds ... and being played by Disney right now with the feeding frenzy that opened yesterday to renew "Magic Keys" (2021 APs).

LOL…I don’t feel it will be like that but rather that they will open sales up foe everyone and then once they feel they have enough in circulation, they will suspend them for a short time.

If they didn’t want to have any program, they can certainly just end it. But they have not and now are allowing renewals again with DL passes.

I think part of the control will be price

Not sure if it was Iger or Chapek but I do recall Disney mentioning “ interest” in the new subscriber subscription economy .
If I subscribe and automatically agree to renewals I am lowering their costs to attract & keep me , especially if I forget about the terms I agreed to every year. Until a month has passed and price is locked in until next year… I feel like I have been trapped with D23 subscription so I guess it works for Disney.

As I mentioned, I bet the blocking of passes around the holidays will be for every single pass at WDW as well.
If that proves to be true, it makes me very glad I did NOT get the Guaranteed Week 52 I had been considering back in 2020.

Of course, I'm already still upset about making Thanksgiving a blocked out week for the Sorcerer's Pass (new Gold pass), as we DO have fixed week for that week most years, and so I *am* worried it will also be a blocked out week for Incredipasses going forward. We haven't quite decided what we're going to do going forward, because part of our reason for buying into DVC was to get discounted APs, and so the question is whether we will use our Fixed Week as often as we had thought, or whether we will just make the times we go over Thanksgiving resort only stays because of the block out.

They can bite me if that ever happens. This all gets easier and easier for me to just keep getting further and further away from even thinking about Disney.

That's a real kick in the teeth for those who bought a fixed week and their AP is now blocked out that week or might get to that point in the future.
That's just wrong.

I wonder if Disney will start blocking out more holidays in the years to come? I imagine it might be tempting to do so where they see demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter