Dropping off rental car at Port Canaveral

Cheburashka

Momketeer
How much of a hassle is it? I was planning to stay at a Disney resort the night before and take the transfer bus, but now I'm looking at Four Seasons instead. We'd take the transfer bus back to the airport (crazy expensive to rent for the entire cruise), so I'd want to drop the rental car off at the port before embarkation. Is that a major hassle, or is it easy? Are some rental places easier than others? Looking at Avis (already have price quotes so price is not the issue). Do you have to use a shuttle to get to the port? Are taxis available? How long does it tend to take? We don't need to be first on the ship but I'd like to avoid a major hassle. TIA.

We have had a rental car that we have dropped off at the port a few times. At PC we have used Budget and it has been very easy. The shuttle left within a few minutes each time. We had the car already though, we didn't go back to the airport to get it. I can't say how convenient that is or not.

We have had a rental car that we have dropped off at the port a few times. At PC we have used Budget and it has been very easy. The shuttle left within a few minutes each time. We had the car already though, we didn't go back to the airport to get it. I can't say how convenient that is or not.
Thanks. I'm not worried about the airport because we've rented from MCO multiple times already. I was just wondering about drop-off at the port.

I've never specifically dropped off at the port, but having dropped off at a ton of different places in various states, some at major airports and some not, I've pretty much found all drop offs to be the same, park the car in the designated drop off spot, leave the keys in it and you're done. I've never found any to be a particular hassle. Good luck!

Super easy drop off at port canaveral. We do this a lot. There is a shuttle, but we always just seem to miss it. So we get an Uber for 10 dollars and drop us off at the port :)

We have used it a few times without an issue. I have seen suggestions of people dropping off their families and luggage at the port before retuning the car so you don't have to deal with luggage on the shuttle but we have never felt the need to do that.

There are more (and larger) ships that will be docking in Port Canaveral … so that equals more people. You can do a search and see how many ships will be docking the day you arrive and leave.
The shuttle buses serve all the cruise lines so if a lot of ships are in port the day you arrive/leave this will greatly impact the service you get at the rental car agency and the shuttle buses.

We've done it twice, once with Budget and the other time with Avis. Both were very easy but with Avis the line up for the shuttle was insane so we ended up just paying for a cab.

Yes, it’s important to drop off the family and luggage first. Waiting to board the shuttle back to the ship is a pain if you have to move your luggage multiple times, plus the shuttle fills up. It’s a process for sure, but doable. Your family can make sure the porter checks their luggage once you drop them off.

Very easy and no hassle. We have used both Budget and National. You just show up at your rental spot, drop off car, and get on shuttle. Shuttle drops you at port, bags tagged at curb and into the terminal. Very easy. There are just 4 of us, and my kids are much older, so we don' drop off some of us and then drop the car etc. That to me is a hassle, but if you have littles or alot of luggage, it may be to your benefit.

Yes, it’s important to drop off the family and luggage first. Waiting to board the shuttle back to the ship is a pain if you have to move your luggage multiple times, plus the shuttle fills up. It’s a process for sure, but doable. Your family can make sure the porter checks their luggage once you drop them off.
There is only 3 of us and we did what n2mm describes. It was way easier for my husband to get on a shuttle with just himself than all three of us and our luggage. He said if we had been with him we would have had to wait for the next shuttle. We stayed at a hotel in PC area the night before because we didn’t land until 7 pm the night before our cruise.

Thanks, everyone. Good tip about drop off of the luggage. I'm only traveling with my teenage son, but it should be good experience for him to take responsibility for the luggage at the port while I drop off the car. I can imagine how it might take longer to board a shuttle with luggage, and I have bad joints so I hate lugging bags around, anyway, so I'll definitely drop my son with the bags at the port.

There are more (and larger) ships that will be docking in Port Canaveral … so that equals more people. You can do a search and see how many ships will be docking the day you arrive and leave.
The shuttle buses serve all the cruise lines so if a lot of ships are in port the day you arrive/leave this will greatly impact the service you get at the rental car agency and the shuttle buses.
I checked after reading this and there will be four ships in port. Que sera sera. The good thing is that we don't have to pick up a car, just drop one off. We're taking the Disney transfer on the way back to the airport after the cruise.

Your family can make sure the porter checks their luggage once you drop them off.
I'll be dropping off my 17 year-old son with the luggage. Is there any specific identification or info he'll need to give the porters for them to take our luggage away? Just want to send him out there prepared.

I'll be dropping off my 17 year-old son with the luggage. Is there any specific identification or info he'll need to give the porters for them to take our luggage away? Just want to send him out there prepared.
Assuming you have tagged the luggage with the supplied luggage tags, the porter will take the bags and add them to a waiting luggage cart for loading on the ship. A gratuity is appropriate, so your son should have some cash for that.

in practice, whenever I drop off DW and our luggage, a porter assists me with the unloading before I have a chance to complete this myself. They usually ask me if I need directions to car rental return or parking, but I’ve done this enough to know my way to the car rental return. YMMV.

You can always rent a town car transfers if you don't want to deal with a rental.

remember to have your passports, ID, meds with you and not in any of the luggage/bags you transfer to the porter.

We have used it a few times without an issue. I have seen suggestions of people dropping off their families and luggage at the port before retuning the car so you don't have to deal with luggage on the shuttle but we have never felt the need to do that.
This is what we do. My husband drops us off, takes the car back, and comes back on the shuttle with no luggage. Easy peasy!

Disney will send you luggage tags before your cruise. Attached these to your luggage before you arrive at the port. When you arrive they will direct you to an area to pull up to the curb. The porters will take your luggage from the car. You should tip a few $$ per bag. Your luggage will be delivered to your cabin.
You can’t get to your cabin until 1:30 so you may want to keep a small bag with you with anything you may want before that bathing suit, sunscreen, RX.
Be sure both of you have photo ID cards to enter the cruise terminal
C782050F-08F3-4D1F-B45E-1B9C62C47440.png

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter