Drop attack- post dr update

I don’t have foot drop, or change in gait at all and that was all tested about 3 weeks ago at my yearly neuro exam. 99% of the time I am the same as I usually am day to day. The only difference is now I am adding a random fall in there.

Hope you get some answers soon on why this is happening kimblebee.

Hmm, I just took a quick look at some articles regarding b12 and warning signs. I do have most of the warning signs...but the are ms related. I’ll get them to take a look at the actual b12 number when the bloodwork comes in and we’ll go from there I guess.

Not saying that this is your case at all. But a b12 deficiency can show up as brain lesions as well, but they are different.

Despite that difference, MS is the condition that pernicious anemia/b12 deficiency is most often misdiagnosed as being the issue.

So that is why you are seeing an overlap in symptoms kimblebee.

Once again, our "normals" are very low in Canada. Google Japan and b12. They test in a different measurement. However both measurements are close enough to compare. They inject when citizens are anywhere below 500. And since their cases of dementia are lower than most of the world, for a variety of reasons obviously beyond b12, it is interesting to note. Obviously people have dementia for a variety of reasons. But unfortunately one of those reasons is a b12 deficiency undetected and untreated over time.

Pernicious anemia can run in families. So might be valuable to ask your loved ones.

And if there is an absorption issue it can obviously impact many other crucial vitamins ie. Vitamin d (which by the way impacts muscle strength/muscle recovery in legs)

n't know much about this but focusondisney (who apparently does) said above that this is symptom based and not serum level based. I take that to mean that even if your blood levels are ok, you may still benefit from getting B12 if you have many of the symptoms of deficiency.

Pea-n-me, when one is being treated for a b12 deficiency, in any form/reason why, there is a tendency to look at serum b12 numbers as a guide to health. When the serum numbers can be astronomical after shots. That has no meaning. It is simply b12 in your system, not what is actually being absorbed.

Some doctors are so misinformed that they will see a "normal" reading and immediately stop treatment. For those who are not absorbing - not low b12 due to diet - they need treatment for life. And it only causes issues to keep testing serum levels. It should be symptom based.

That is what I meant.

However, people can be low normal in initial b12 readings and have all the symptoms of a vitamin b12 deficiency.

The misconceptions article posted upthread explains it better than I ever could. Might be a good read since you are a health professional and there are so many misconceptions that even neurologists share erroneous information.

@kimblebee it is very important that you ask for your lowest b12 reading in your health records, over time. Not just your current number. Long story of the reasoning behind it.

Last edited:
why would you just say that with no other info? Why do you think that?
Because I take care of patients who fall in this manner and further monitoring is usually carried out, at least overnight. What would happen if they discharge you from the ER and on the way out you fall and crack your head open? Maybe it will be different where you are.

Because I take care of patients who fall in this manner and further monitoring is usually carried out, at least overnight. What would happen if they discharge you from the ER and on the way out you fall and crack your head open? Maybe it will be different where you are.

I apologize. I didn’t realize you were in the medical field. I agree, it’s very scary to me right now because I don’t know when or if or how this will happen again. I know I can’t just hide for the rest of my life but I sure don’t want to be grocery shopping and have this happen.

I apologize. I didn’t realize you were in the medical field. I agree, it’s very scary to me right now because I don’t know when or if or how this will happen again. I know I can’t just hide for the rest of my life but I sure don’t want to be grocery shopping and have this happen.
No, of course not! It may be hard for them to pinpoint an exact cause right now; that could take a bit of time. But they can’t send you home if you’re not safe to go home, either. I’m sure when they asked, you told them this has happened multiple times recently, not just once. It’s a serious issue, At minimum they’ll monitor your heart to make sure there are no arrhythmias that are causing this to happen, and they’ll want to walk you to the bathroom and such. There may be more outpatient stuff if nothing turns up.

No, of course not! It may be hard for them to pinpoint an exact cause right now; that could take a bit of time. But they can’t send you home if you’re not safe to go home, either. I’m sure when they asked, you told them this has happened multiple times recently, not just once. It’s a serious issue, At minimum they’ll monitor your heart to make sure there are no arrhythmias that are causing this to happen, and they’ll want to walk you to the bathroom and such. There may be more outpatient stuff if nothing turns up.

I definitely told them it had happened multiple times. They also, as I had suspected, that they focused in on my ms as a possible cause. I told them no, this is totally different because I’m not stumbling or dizzy or light headed. Plus, they have access to my mri so maybe I can get someone here to read it more quickly than my dr.

So what did they do? Did they run any tests? How long did you stay, or are you home now? I really hope you get some answers, it's so terribly frightening to have something wrong and have to wait for answers. You did the right thing. Hugs. :hug:

So what did they do? Did they run any tests? How long did you stay, or are you home now? I really hope you get some answers, it's so terribly frightening to have something wrong and have to wait for answers. You did the right thing. Hugs. :hug:

I’m still waiting to see a dr. Hopefully it will be soon.

I’m still waiting to see a dr. Hopefully it will be soon.
Did you walk in or call EMS? Sad to say, sometimes that's a work-around to get ER care expedited, at least here in this city. Thinking of you - keep us posted. :flower3:

Did you walk in or call EMS? Sad to say, sometimes that's a work-around to get ER care expedited, at least here in this city. Thinking of you - keep us posted. :flower3:

I got a ride here. Yes, getting an ambulance might have made things go a little quicker, but I didn’t want the $400 charge..we don’t have insurance covering it at the moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter