Drop attack- post dr update

kimblebee

now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents
Let me first start by saying that I am monitored by many doctors and have monthly blood and urine tests and have an ekg every three months. If there was something majorly wrong, it would have been caught already.

Having said that..

In the past few weeks, I have fallen three or four times, for absolutely no reason and with no warning. I’m not light headed, I’m not dizzy, I’m not getting my feet tanged, I’m just standing one second and on the ground the next. It’s always straight down, and luckily I haven’t hurt myself yet..beyond a sore tailbone yesterday. When I fell yesterday, I had just picked something up off my dresser, so I wasn’t over exerting myself or anything.

I have an appt to see my gp on Friday, but I thought I’d take a look online to see if anything matched my experience. I did come across something called drop attacks. There’s no warning, usually no symptoms, and possible injury depending on how you land.

“Luckily”, this has only happened at home so far, but I’m really concerned it may happen when I’m out or at work.

I had an mri done two weeks ago and I’m still waiting to get the results. It’s my usual six month mri for my ms but I’ll definitely ask if something unusual has shown up.

Has this happened to anyone else or does it happen to anyone now? From what I could find to read, there’s no treatment because there isn’t really a cause. That’s pretty disheartening.

your GP couldnt get you in sooner? I feel like this should be urget and seen asap. I would not drive or walk much and always use a cane till figured out . Im sorry you have to go through all this.
I agree. Even if the symptom isn't majorly wrong, you could develop something really bad if you were to fall on or into something. I'd be staying home and mostly seated until I could see the doc. Good luck, I hope it's something they can treat easily and quickly:)

My mother had similar symptoms in her 80s. Turned out the problem was an ear wax build up which is common after a certain point in life as well as those with compromised immune systems.

HTH

your GP couldnt get you in sooner? I feel like this should be urget and seen asap. I would not drive or walk much and always use a cane till figured out . Im sorry you have to go through all this.

My dr has been out of country for a while so I haven’t been able to see him. I could go to an ER but I might as well just wait to see him.

I agree. Even if the symptom isn't majorly wrong, you could develop something really bad if you were to fall on or into something. I'd be staying home and mostly seated until I could see the doc. Good luck, I hope it's something they can treat easily and quickly:)

I can’t just put my life on hold. I’d like to just sit around but that doesn’t get the bills paid.

My mother had similar symptoms in her 80s. Turned out the problem was an ear wax build up which is common after a certain point in life as well as those with compromised immune systems.

HTH

It’s worth remembering. I do have a compromised immune system so I guess anything’s possible. I would think it it was an ear issue there would be some associated dizziness but there is none.

If you fall and hurt urself no bills will be paid. If an ER can get you options so your no longer a danger to yourself than it's worth it. Urgent care is prolly cheaper than hospital er.

If you fall and hurt urself no bills will be paid. If an ER can get you options so your no longer a danger to yourself than it's worth it. Urgent care is prolly cheaper than hospital er.

I don’t have costs associated with either so it won’t matter who I see. I would imagine the first thing an ER would do would be to get an mri and I had one done two weeks ago. I just have to stay on my neuro to read it. He’s scheduled me to go to physio but I don’t see how that’s going to be helpful.

Honestly it sounds related to your MS. Do you see a neurologist for that? I’d call whoever manages the MS.

Yes, I see a neurologist. As I’ve said a few times, I’m waiting for him to read my latest mri and his nurse is aware of these falls. He’s the first one I called when it happened more than once.

Last edited:
Sounds MS related.

It can be, if there’s dizziness or stumbling or balance issues as well. There isn’t with this. I’m standing one second and on my butt the next. If a new part of my brain has been eaten (for lack of a better word), then it could be related that way.

While it could be MS related, when it happened to me (dizziness was first, then falling, then neuro damage), it was an undiagnosed B12 deficiency! I got bad really fast- could barely speak within a couple of weeks after my first fall. My initial working diagnosis was MS- but it turns out that my neuro damage and was likely due to this deficiency.
You may mention this to your neurologist, if you haven’t had a B12 test recently, just to add it with the regular labs.
Since mine was a bit long in being diagnosed, some of my nerve damage is permanent, including the memory loss, but some of it did recover a bit. My neurologist is great, and I’m doing well most of the time now. Such an easy fix (B12 shots), and it may not be what you are experiencing of course, but since it’s a simple blood test, and routine, it may be something to consider.

Let me first start by saying that I am monitored by many doctors and have monthly blood and urine tests and have an ekg every three months. If there was something majorly wrong, it would have been caught already.

Having said that..

In the past few weeks, I have fallen three or four times, for absolutely no reason and with no warning. I’m not light headed, I’m not dizzy, I’m not getting my feet tanged, I’m just standing one second and on the ground the next. It’s always straight down, and luckily I haven’t hurt myself yet..beyond a sore tailbone yesterday. When I fell yesterday, I had just picked something up off my dresser, so I wasn’t over exerting myself or anything.

I have an appt to see my gp on Friday, but I thought I’d take a look online to see if anything matched my experience. I did come across something called drop attacks. There’s no warning, usually no symptoms, and possible injury depending on how you land.

“Luckily”, this has only happened at home so far, but I’m really concerned it may happen when I’m out or at work.

I had an mri done two weeks ago and I’m still waiting to get the results. It’s my usual six month mri for my ms but I’ll definitely ask if something unusual has shown up.

Has this happened to anyone else or does it happen to anyone now? From what I could find to read, there’s no treatment because there isn’t really a cause. That’s pretty disheartening.

Yes.

Foot drop, falls, changes in gait are signs of pernicious anemia. Pernicious anemia is the inability to absorb vitamin b12. There can be other reasons, besides pernicious anemia, for not absorbing b12 but the result is the same.

Canada has ridiculously low normals and many doctors are unaware of the ins and outs of the deficiency. Should never have been called a vitamin.

Cases of a b12 deficiency can be misdiagnosed as MS and dementia.

Here is a good introduction, just in case -

https://stichtingb12tekort.nl/weten...nglish/misconceptions-about-a-b12-deficiency/
Whatever it is I hope you get to the bottom of it kimblebee.

While it could be MS related, when it happened to me (dizziness was first, then falling, then neuro damage), it was an undiagnosed B12 deficiency! I got bad really fast- could barely speak within a couple of weeks after my first fall. My initial working diagnosis was MS- but it turns out that my neuro damage and was likely due to this deficiency.
You may mention this to your neurologist, if you haven’t had a B12 test recently, just to add it with the regular labs.
Since mine was a bit long in being diagnosed, some of my nerve damage is permanent, including the memory loss, but some of it did recover a bit. My neurologist is great, and I’m doing well most of the time now. Such an easy fix (B12 shots), and it may not be what you are experiencing of course, but since it’s a simple blood test, and routine, it may be something to consider.

Posted without reading.

I am so sorry lorenae that some of your symptoms are not improving. Obviously I don't know your injection frequency but just want to point out that many countries prescribe every other day injections, if there are neurological symptoms. And every other day until one sees no further improvement.

I self-inject now due to a complete lack of understanding that it is all symptom based, not serum level based.

Last edited:
Yes.

Foot drop, falls, changes in gait are signs of pernicious anemia. Pernicious anemia is the inability to absorb vitamin b12. There can be other reasons, besides pernicious anemia, for not absorbing b12 but the result is the same.

Canada has ridiculously low normals and many doctors are unaware of the ins and outs of the deficiency. Should never have been called a vitamin.

Cases of a b12 deficiency can be misdiagnosed as MS and dementia.

Here is a good introduction, just in case -

https://stichtingb12tekort.nl/weten...nglish/misconceptions-about-a-b12-deficiency/
Whatever it is I hope you get to the bottom of it kimblebee.

Thanks for the advice. I’m pretty sure B12 is part of my monthly bloodwork but I can check as I am due for monthly work again.

I don’t have foot drop, or change in gait at all and that was all tested about 3 weeks ago at my yearly neuro exam. 99% of the time I am the same as I usually am day to day. The only difference is now I am adding a random fall in there.

Hmm, I just took a quick look at some articles regarding b12 and warning signs. I do have most of the warning signs...but the are ms related. I’ll get them to take a look at the actual b12 number when the bloodwork comes in and we’ll go from there I guess.

Thanks for the advice. I’m pretty sure B12 is part of my monthly bloodwork but I can check as I am due for monthly work again.

I don’t have foot drop, or change in gait at all and that was all tested about 3 weeks ago at my yearly neuro exam. 99% of the time I am the same as I usually am day to day. The only difference is now I am adding a random fall in there.

Hmm, I just took a quick look at some articles regarding b12 and warning signs. I do have most of the warning signs...but the are ms related. I’ll get them to take a look at the actual b12 number when the bloodwork comes in and we’ll go from there I guess.
I don't know much about this but focusondisney (who apparently does) said above that this is symptom based and not serum level based. I take that to mean that even if your blood levels are ok, you may still benefit from getting B12 if you have many of the symptoms of deficiency. Other causes should be investigated and ruled out, too, though.

I am familiar with falls, and can tell you that a lot of damage can be done to your body, especially your head, if you're falling without warning. What could happen if you're driving and passed out? Or walking down a large flight of stairs or something? Or even cooking, things like that. I hope you can get some answers. Take care.

I self-inject now due to a complete lack of understanding that it is all symptom based, not serum level based.

I have no medical advice but just want to say your episodes sound very scary. Hopefully you get it resolved quickly! :hug:

It could be a number of things and even though you are monitored it doesn't mean things aren't missed. My dh has a B12 deficiency and has never had a drop attack but has had other strange things happen. He does get shots and things improve until it's time for shots again.
Hopefully you'll get answers after seeing your doctor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter